1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Doing For Your Back Pain?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by HappyBunny, May 30, 2018.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@HappyBunny,

Weak core leads to weak back. Strengthening core can relieve back pain. Apart from all the suggestion you have received, the yoga poses that have worked for my students with severe back pain (depending on the severity of back pain, some have been on medicine as well) include

cat/cow pose definitely as mentioned by @DDream and these

upload_2018-5-30_21-51-30.png upload_2018-5-30_21-48-30.png

You can take support of a rolled up blanket or pillow as support for lower back in these poses.
    Image courtesy yogajournal - Entire 10 min sequence can be found here 10-Minute Sequence to Ease Back Pain.

upload_2018-5-30_21-56-29.png

In this suppose, it is better if you support your lower back with your hands initially instead of keeping them on the floor. Also keeping a block between the knees helps.

upload_2018-5-30_21-49-16.png
    rolling sideways gently helps here

upload_2018-5-30_21-54-41.png

Using a yoga brick to sit on can help in the beginning. (Images from internet)......continued in next post...

As always please use your discretion and consult a physician before doing anything.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

This pose

upload_2018-5-30_22-3-1.png

is a definite favorite. Make sure your shoulders are firm on the floor and feel free to use yoga bricks or blanket under the knee if the knees do not reach the floor.

Now some core strengthening with some yoga...from yoga basics
    Core Strengthening Poses

Bending knees with a one finger hold behind the knees helps
    upload_2018-5-30_22-19-27.png

I would do this with elbows on the floor (this may be harder for some than the original plank) and hold for a few seconds and then increase the time. Also while coming down, you may bring your knees down first till you are comfortable coming down with your stomach.

upload_2018-5-30_22-21-21.png

Paying attention to the posture like toes pointing to the sky, hands gently touching the ground, back and neck in line and feeling rooted to the ground helps here. upload_2018-5-30_22-9-50.png

And finally, dolphin pose
    upload_2018-5-30_22-11-53.png
    (Image from yoga journal)

As always please use your discretion and consult a physician before doing anything.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Srama Would these work for upper and lower back pain both? Any specific poses for neck and upper back pain of the excruciating variety? :(

HappyBunny, Srama and Shanvy like this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@HappyBunny

Your question has turned this thread into an excellent resource centre. I too rely on stretches and yoga whenever needed. I am not regular with my practices:facepalm:.

Get well soon.

Srama, HappyBunny and joylokhi like this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Indeed!!!:thumbsup:
    Done properly, yoga definitely helps. It needs persistence though. Slow and steady is the key.
    Always upvote yoga!
    :beer-toast1:

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i do most of what you have suggested sans a few. and they provide great relief for the back. the last one in your pic is not adviced for me and even surya namaskar.

i do a easier version of the modified plank and my therapist says the more i do it reduces the pain..and i do feel a lot of relief..most exercises that i am asked to do are yoga postures or modified one

the first pic of hip flexor stretch helps a lot if you suffer from sciatica..and if doing that is tough use a towel to help stretch..

@Gauri03 for the neck i do a few taught by my physio. in a session, my osteopath realligned my head or can i say skull and c1 and it relieved the sitffness at the base of my skull and i also do the neck exercises and atretches..

something similar
    the same stretches take care of the upper back to a extent and

the rest when the lower back and core strengthen the posture becomes better and your shoulders are staight without slouching and one the first observation from my physio, women sometimes unconsciously slouch a little because they dont like to walk with their chest out lol.. she would say whether you are heavy built or slight stand tall, be proud of yourself..i always have a laugh the way the dutch lady walks.. at 6ft and well built..

exercises ans stretches have to be done even after pain relief. you cant slack off because the pain vanished. thumb rule for pain management..

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@Gauri03,

My understanding is yes and I will also check with my teacher as well and confirm. This is unsolicited but here's a thought reading you in runner's club as well, and I am thinking out loud - as you know I am no expert, I cannot help but feel if your back and knee problems are related to your hips. Next time, try and watch how your hips move in this pose

Start with this pose (padangushtasana) and move to the next one - Use a yoga belt of a necktie or a whatever is handy if you have to reach the toe. Props are perfectly fine and should be used to get the full benefit of the pose you are trying...big believer here :)

upload_2018-6-1_8-22-54.png upload_2018-6-1_8-24-22.png

As you repeat the pose pay attention to....

know that the standing leg is the one that is getting the work out. Stay firm, root that leg to the ground firmly, hence keeping your posture tall and aligned.
    Bend the other leg, use a yoga belt if need be and stretch the leg forward as in the first pose.
    Then gently move the leg sideways, observing your rooted leg. Does the rooted hip move with the moving hip in tandem?

You can also try the same as suptapadanghustasana

upload_2018-6-1_9-44-10.png [​IMG]

Note: Yoga journal explains the pose clearly if you wish to understand more or step by step. Also under every pose, they give you contradictions and cautions along with modifications and props that can be used. I have given the Sanskrit names to help you refine your your search.

Okay....got to run will be back in a few for upper back and hips....

image courtesy : internet - yoga journal and other websites

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  8. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

Thanks everyone for your input. I will act on it, though it may take some time.

Srama likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Okay @Gauri03, back again!

Here are some of the poses that I do with my students. I have tried to pick poses that can be done by yourself with awareness, listening to your own body and being gentle. I have also included Sanskrit names so that you can read up about the pose on yoga journal for contradictions and cautions, modifications and props.

Don't forget to breathe deep and even if it sounds cuckoo, I do tend to direct my breath (along with that my attention) to the point where there is pain or stiffness.

For upper back -

Matsyasana - the only modification I would suggest is to keep a yoga brick for your head to rest gently. You also don't need to support the middle of your back (if you don't wish) and just take the support of your elbows.
    upload_2018-6-1_9-47-51.png

Sethubandhasana - I like to support my hips with my hands. Make sure you bring your chest to your chin. You can also keep a block between your knees and the feet should be apart and rooted.
    upload_2018-6-1_10-2-27.png

Ardhamatsyendrasana - a spinal twist. Stretching the left leg out is an easier version I believe! Contrary to what they show in the picture, I would keep the right hand closer to my spine to kind of help me lengthen that, weight not resting on that hand at all. Keep a focal point on the wall to your back and try to twist as much as you can while staying rooted on your sitsbone :) (yes, something my teacher uses on a regular basis)

upload_2018-6-1_9-53-8.png

Gomukhasana - using a prop if your hands do not reach to bind behind you. You can also just try to grab your elbows with the opposite hands. Here, I would try to keep my knees stacked together, again sitsbone firm on the ground and breathe deep.
    upload_2018-6-1_9-57-51.png upload_2018-6-1_9-58-37.png

Last pose...locust pose will continue in the next post :)

Gauri03 and Shanvy like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Slabhasana - be gentle with yourself in this pose and take the resting position as much as you need

upload_2018-6-1_10-4-40.png

repeat with the other hand, take the resting position if you wish without the props

upload_2018-6-1_10-6-37.png

then do the pose keeping the hands on the ground (by your side) palms facing down legs raised without bending the knees. Repeat with legs resting and arms raised (either by your side or in the front). Then finally do the entire pose

upload_2018-6-1_10-8-12.png

The face should look forward keep the neck gentle and aligned. You should NOT feel a pinch at the lower back.

Again, please read all the info before you attempt and work with your body.

For a complete set of poses to help your upper body, here's what yoga journal suggests -

Poses for Your Upper Back

PS: Some of my yoga teachers will not refer to yoga journal come what may, and prefer yoga international but I like to read up because of the variety of students I get and as always these are some of the poses I have tried with some of my students and has worked well. There will be contrary views - if you have a studio or a teacher, try to work with them first and see what relieves your pain.