1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Doing For Your Back Pain?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by HappyBunny, May 30, 2018.

1. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

There must be many on this forum with recurring back pain.

I know it depends on the cause, but what gives you relief? Is there anything you do on a regular basis to manage or prevent the pain?

GeetaKashyap likes this.

2. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I didnt have back pain but more of stiffness in neck- shoulder-back.
    What worked for me at first were
    Stretches,
    deep tissue Massage
    Cupping
    In the long run, slowly started on exercise and better posture. Exercise I try to be regular , but there are periods of lull. Strengthening and toning muscles is important , but takes time

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i have a spinal injury with both neck and lumbar issues and have been having backaches for the past 17 yrs.

what helps
    reduce weight.
    correcting posture. stand tall..
    stop sitting in a place for long and sitting on hard chairs instead of soft sofas.
    walking right
    stretches learned under physio. if there is a minor issues stretches help autocorrect . so stretches are must..
    exercise instead of making backache as a excuse
    and last but not least check for all the right ways of lifing weights bending down. my physuo says many of us injure our back with wrong lifting..

when the pain is bad. lying straight ok a firm mattress with a heating pad.
    also trying pain relieving stretches..

4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

• Check your bed. Make sure that it is the right firmness for you.
    • Monitor the quality of your sleep and your sleep position. Check whether you twist your body/spine as you sleep. Use a pillow between your knees (if you sleep on your side).
    • Check the kind of shoes that you wear. Make sure that they are not worn down. Get new shoes frequently.
    • Examine the wear on your shoes - do you see any evidence of pronation or supination? Get shoes and/or insoles that will compensate. Avoid high heels.
    • Do not sit for long periods at work. Look into getting a standing desk.
    • Exercise. Stay active as much as possible. Ensure proper warm-up.
    • First, have someone assess your range of motion and RPE (Rated Perceived Exertion). Start where you are and slowly increase exercise per week to moderate exertion levels.
    • Pay attention to lower-body strength.
    • Yoga, under proper supervision. Start with restorative poses, then move on to stretches.
    • Monitor your stress levels. Do what you need to do to reduce stress. There is considerable evidence for stress-related back-pain.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for this thread and the inputs received. I am suffering from chronic back pain for the last 4 to 5 years. Have got all tests done and gone thro' physiotherapy, but the pain is still recurring. Even I was told to continue back exercises to strengthen the back muscles which will help in reducng pain.
    I have therefore made it a point to avoid sitting for long periods at a time, and importantly maintaining straight posture while sitting - which helps to some extent.
    For some, if vitamin D lack is the cause, it would help in taking the supplements thereof.

HappyBunny, GeetaKashyap and SunPa like this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

To clarify:
    This includes getting rid of saggy mattresses (spring mattresses that have pockets and depressions or aging foam mattresses).

HappyBunny and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have had chronic neck and upper back problems for years. One of the first things my doctor asked me to do was to switch to a standing desk or an ergonomic desk and chair if you must sit. If you work on a computer 8-10 hours a day this is very important. Switching to a standing desk significantly decreased my flare ups. Running and yoga have helped with muscle strength in general. Recently I switched to a mattress recommended for upper back pain. I didn't think it would make a difference but I have been pain free for two months. Could be the mattress or could be a coincidence I can't say, but if you are looking for a mattress to help with back pain, here is a good source of reviews - Best Mattress for Back Pain | Sleepopolis

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

the right mattress makes a lot of difference. i use a orthopaedic . i am advised to sleep straight than the side. my pillow is just name sake..if you are a side sleeper a very firm mattress will be hard for the shoulders and neck. a medium firm mattress that would dip at the shoulders, while being good for teh lower back . you should check the mattresses before getting one.

9. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Once the back pain issue begins, it will become 'watch out' forever.

It is partially due to aging and our life style. It is up to an individual to change the life style to avoid it.

10. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I had this issue after delivery. I got relief using heating pad, firm bed,massaging chair with heating option etc. But the most useful one for me was a yoga posture named Marjariasana or the Cat Pose . So whenever I feel back pain I do it. It relieves me very well than other methods. Try it and see if this help you.

Video here for you to check
    )