1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What Are Some Healthy Snacks You Have In Between Meals?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Naari, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hello ILs,

We have been discussing a lot on healthy eating lately and a related question came to mind right now, as I subconsciously opened my pantry to get a box of Blue diamonds Nut thins out to munch on a few, while I wait for my 5yr old to finish her lunch (She is learning to eat on her own), so me & Dh can have ours..

What are some of the healthy snacks you munch on in between meals (for me the peak snack hunger time is 4-5pm)? I normally like the nabisco snacks like Triscuit, wheat thins, good thins, blue diamonds Nut thins .. I love these because they have low fat & high fiber content, though blue diamonds nut thins are gluten free , so no wheat in them & are made of rice flour, so not very healthy , IMHO..

We avoid store made Indian snacks as they are mostly unhealthy & are made of refined palm oil most of the time..

Also, if you consume any other foods at those times, like sometimes I would just go ahead & have some protein like a cup of beans or lentils to quench my hunger, pls respond with that..

Thanks!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Banana is my most fav go to option in between meals . Sometimes a handful of nuts. I also like Trader Joe's light kettle corn.

Sunburst, IniyaaSri and Naari like this.
  3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Can I talk about Soylent or do you want me to keep quiet?

4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

I am bummed, did we just find a difference between us?:fearscream: I hate bananas! But I wish I liked them because it's such a healthy food.. yes nuts too.. will try the TJ option you mentioned . I love the plaintain chips from TJs too.. they have very low sodium & are baked, though all carbs I guess..

Sandycandy likes this.
  5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Haha you cracked me up!:laughing: Sure you can talk about it, but only if you first tell me why are you such a big fan of it? Do you consume that or are you associated with that product or both?:)

6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Fruits - little tart (oranges berries cherries etc)
    Handful of sprouted moong with coconut and jaggery (little)
    Raw grated cucumber carrots with little presoaked raw peanuts or cooked channa varieties
    Bhel mix a small cup with mint / spicy date chutney
    Biscuits- parle G / krackjack / good day (3-4 pieces)

7. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

@Naari thats a good topic to exchange useful ideas!!! Happy that you started this thread.

My suggestions are below

*Carrots - fresh carrots are a good option since they are filling, tasty,& healthy.
    *boiled legumes - I am sure you very well know the benefits. (you can season them with mustard, dry chilly and curry leaves for yummy flavor)
    *May be freshly cut fruits. But I feel fruits are best when they are had before 12 noon. But anyway fruits are super good choice when it comes to other junk foods.
    * Handful of peanuts is a wonderful snack. Its filling as well as good. (unsalted peanuts to be more specific)
    * Other mixed nuts
    *As Jskls have mentioned, handful of sprouted moong dhal with coconut and jaggery will make the most delicious ( most healthy) snack.
    *Rice flakes soaked in hot milk. (a small bowl) (Also not sure about the genuineness of the milk that we are consuming today)
    * Indian puffed rice balls (only with jaggery, not with sugar)
    * Murukku (home made)
    * a couple of vadas or Bondas (only home made)
    For that matter any "home made" healthy snack based on your time limits.

And I have tried all these things on daily basis. Hope my suggestions become useful.
    Have a good day and stay blessed:blush:

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I carry measured portions of the following to snack on:
    Roasted and spiced chickpeas
    Fruit such as grapes or chopped apples with cubes of cheese
    Apple slices spread with peanut butter
    Celery spread with peanut butter and raisins stuck on top (the snack kids call 'ants on a stick')
    Trail mix
    Lightly cooked moong sprouts mixed with vegetables
    Cut-up carrots, small bell peppers, broccoli with hummus/guacamole (I buy the single-serving packs from Costco as avocados turn gross quickly once cut)
    If I'm feeling decadent, spiced marcona almonds

9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Some very good suggestions Ladies.. keep it coming..
    @IniyaaSri Will try the sprouted moong with coconut & jaggery thing (maybe without jaggery, not a fan of sweet)..sounds healthy.. I make a spiced subzi from sprouted moong which I love..
    @MalStrom I love both hummus and guac.. I mostly have hummus with crackers, but with carrots it would be healthier, will definitely try..

MalStrom and IniyaaSri like this.
  10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

I also love to occasionally have a homemade version of caprese sandwich with a mozzarella cheese slice (which is high protein, low fat cheese), tomato and balsamic vinegar in a whole wheat bread.

Sandycandy, Sunburst and IniyaaSri like this.