What are human goals according to Hindu religion ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

iam late...

Dear Chitra,

I was held up with some other activities, and today only got enough time to read it again and again. I have several questions in my mind….as kamla said, how can we live without pain, dissatisfaction, dependence(the preyas). If we are not able to give up preyas, how can we attain moksha? So being a normal human, there is no chance of attaining moksha bcoz of the preyas, even if we do dharma. Why our karmas are not paid in the same birth itself? I don’t know how far I have understand. If iam wrong please bear with me and explain. I liked the line “we get what we deserve and not what we desire”. I’m repeating those words to myself daily, so as to get the mindset of accepting the happenings of life.

regards,
    surya.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Surya, better late than never !

Your question can only be answered thus. Hindus believe in rebirth and we go through the various stages of Preyas in many many births & ultimately reach Moksha stage. Believe me, many births also means millions of janmas. It is a fact, though not at all acceptable to us, lay people.
    Karmas cannot be paid back in the same janma, because the list is endless & our life is short. Technically, for each janma, what is allotted to us to be "gone through" is called "Prarabda Karma" - it is always a mixture of good & bad depending on the "impressions" of our previous janmas. My vedanta teacher says that Universe maintains a perfect accounting system & no action can escape, being paid back good or bad ! That is why, in our society we always say, that even good people cannot escape prarabdam.
    More often the good or bad happening to us in this janma is a reflection of our deeds in any of the past janmas only. Hence I wrote that we become conscious choice makers in this birth. We cannot escape prarabdam, but can be careful not to build up a long list for future janmas - only that is in our hands. So what we enjoy now is what we have desreved by our actions in the past janmas & not what we desire to happen for ourselves.
    The Law of Karma is a spiritual Law and nothing but acceptance helps. It is just as futile as trying to locate the exact starting point of a circle !
    Surya, I am not sure, if I have confused you more with my explanations !
    I am very glad to receive your F b - did miss it, to be honest !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

Thank you so much for the explanation. Now, I’m clear. So our papam and punyam are calculated and only according to that our next janma will be. We can attain moksha in a birth, if there is no papam but only punyam. So whatever we do/say we must be very careful that it should not harm others and we should do dharma to the extent possible.

regards,
    surya.

4. revathy45

revathy45 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitraji,
    That was indeed so wonderfully put across.I really enjoyed reading every bit for the simple reason that it is so very beautifully explained.There was so much that I learnt from this post.
    Thankyou mam,
    Love,
    Revathy.

5. Chitvish

Dear Revathy,
    I now remember, you raised a similar query in your F B to my post on the Law of Karma - part 2.
    I am glad you are understanding better now.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear chitvish,
    It's quiet a long time i am back.How are u?
    When i read the first few lines i was reading theoritically.But as i pass a few lines,i clearly understood the difference between man's desires.Goals -external and internal goals which are termed as preyas and moksha.The interpretation of re birth with post retirement life made me more clear with the concept.As was said by our fore fathers the result of our actions of former body((current),in this janma)are known in the next birth.I repeat your words
    Man wants to acquire various things that he does not possess ( yoga) and wants to protect what he possesses (kshema).

I am a bit doubtful in understanding this.man wanting to acquire he does not possess(yoga).What he does not possess???Is the word yoga refer to the general meaning?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2007
  7. Chitvish

Dear BC,
    It is nice to hear from you, though only on & off !:idea
    In vedanta parlance, Yoga means "equanimity" - samatvam. It is remaining unperturbed during sorrow & happiness and treating them equal.
    It does not refer to the physical yoga.
    I hope it is clear now.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mrs. C,

I have just come across this post and found it very interesting.
    This following paragraph.below...I want more interpretation on....what does he want to protect what he possesses(kshema).....Does it mean people he loves or care for?
    Please clarify this.

Man wants to acquire various things that he does not possess ( yoga) and wants to protect what he possesses (kshema). So yoga and kshema are the two fundamental requirements which are reflections in various actions we perform.

9. Chitvish

Dear Madhu,
    I am very happy that youngsters like you are going through my culture posts !
    Yoga means equanimity, as I have already explained. Kshema refers to security - possessions, loved ones all come under this category.The former gives physical security & thelatter gives emotional security.
    I hope it is clear, now.
    Thanks, Madhu.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. rams81

rams81 New IL'ite

Re: My dear Seena ( safa) !

Good Post Chithra. I would be a devils advocate, if I may.

But it seems that every one is agreeing and extolling this just too quickly. a too uncritical appreciation. do they really mean what they say.

Are we here to practise what we preach here.

Or we go about our own lives in the same unchanged ways. i very much doubt it is so.

Have any one noticed that Bhagavad Gita is the only book that does not contain a balastuthi in Hindu Literature. let me say i have not yet completed even 10% of BG. nor did i complete other vedas and vedantas.

It is an advise given to mankind to lead a life. and not for just ritualism.