1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Age Hair Starts Graying? How To Treat?

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by anika987, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Try adding some rosewater in making the mix. And after dyeing-resting-washing, and using towel to dry, use loban and cloves smoke. Loban (benzoin resin, sambrani ) is traditionally used for drying hair, clove-smoke is used to darken the henna.
    In order to make the smoke in western kitchens without a hibachi-stove, you can use a regular old skillet to heat and make the smoke. Catch the smoke in a plastic bag (larger than just a shower cap) wrapped on a large colander -- and hold it well above the skillet as the contents emit the smoke. The smoke will go through the metal mesh, and get trapped in the plastic bag. Use the bag on your head like a chef, and put on a headband to hold the vapors in. This treatment will mask much of the odour from the henna paste.... but make your hair smell like an indian grocery store stock-girl.
    You will still turn heads if you go out smelling like that. However, it will be an OK smell.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    shravs3 and virtualkv2020 like this.
  2. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

I dont know when the hair is actually supposed to grey. Mine started turning grey when i was in class 6!!

3. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

I got my first grey hair when I was in 6th standard... Well then the doctor said its some vitamin deficiency . I think I did take some vitamins for few days.
    Now have few here n there . They say not to pluck it. Well whenever I notice one I pluck it Or while I comb they fall off . . :tonguewink:
    Go with some natural dyes. Not the chemical one's . As Amulet suggested chemical ones are harmful .
    My cousins mix beetroot ,tea powder in henna before applying...
    One of my far cousins has complete grey hair. She must be 36 or 37. She used to dye. Now from past 1 year she stopped. So she has total grey hair. And it does look stylish. We got used to seeing her in total grey hair now. .:grin::grin:

anika987 likes this.
  4. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

@shravs3 I do henna treatment on alternate Saturdays and rinse thoroughly with water 2-3 times.This doesn't leave any trace of henna.Adding a tsp of Eucalyptus essential oil while soaking henna not only helps in giving a darker color but also helps in overpowering the odor from henna-egg.I also add little lemon juice while soaking henna is it helps in releasing the color and beats the egg odor.Some people add a tsp of mustard oil to egg hair packs to beat the odor.It works for me and I happily flaunt my hair during weekends. :)

anika987 and shravs3 like this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I love henna smell but I can’t take indigo as it smells horrible. I even add lemon juice ,will try eucalyptus this time :blush:

6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Wow rose water :hearteyes:. Definitely gonna try this never knew it can be applied for hair. Off late I developed strong affinity towards rose water. I’m loving it :cheer:.
    I recently bought one from a Middle eastern store and keep admiring at it always.
    Thanks for the procedure. Don’t remember using sambrani for my hair. May be mom or granny used it when I was a baby :relaxed:

7. virtualkv2020

2 tsps of rose water can be added to little mild shampoo and used for head bath.The fragrance is not only inviting but also controls hair fall.Dried rose petals are mixed with several other herbs and pounded together for making traditional herbal shampoo powder. Of course we all know that rose water and rose petal powder are used in face/body scrubs.

I too have heard a lot of good things about using Sambrani for drying hair after head bath.I like @Amulet ‘s idea of using it.You can also find the traditional Sambrani holder in amazon. You probably need to deactivate the smoke alarm for a while :). Ramya from wild turmeric has made a good post on it.Sambrani Benefits: For Babies, Hair Drying, Cold & Mosquitoes - Wildturmeric

anika987, Afresh and shravs3 like this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

True Veena. I love the smell of Sambrani. It’s been ages since I saw it

anika987 and virtualkv2020 like this.
  9. virtualkv2020

Few years ago my mil brought one from India after my 1st child was born.You can probably find it in Indian-middle eastern stores or Amazon.Ramya suggests finding a traditional one versus the computer Sambrani/Sambrani doop.

anika987 likes this.
  10. virtualkv2020

I got an interesting natural hair dye recipe from an Ayurvedic expert.I once tried pounding the black walnuts but were too hard to powder them into a fine texture, I sieved it and added to my henna, it did give a darker shade compared to using just henna, but it’s not worth pounding them at home.

Here are a few easy options
    • Get the black walnut hulls powdered at a mill.
    • Purchase the black walnut hull powder from Amazon.
    • Soak the broken black walnut hulls for at least 12 hours in water,cook for sometime,let cool and strain the decoction and use it for mixing henna.
    For a Brown shade - Mix 1 portion of black walnut hull powder with water and let it soak for 12 hours.Mix 3 portions of henna powder with walnut juice.Add 1 tsp of eucalyptus oil for a darker color.Leave aside for 3 hours.Just before applying you add some conditioning ingredients such as egg or egg white and curds,mix well.Apply and leave for 3-4 hours,wash.Repeat every 2 weeks or once a month as desired.

anika987 and Afresh like this.