1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What A Lovely Way To End The Day!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, May 15, 2019.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I look behind me, make sure everything that needs to be taken care of is done and pull the door shut. I hear the teacher from the kindergarten class loud and clear what with all the silence. Her children are laughing, and I hear her say, “Did you all have a wonderful day today?” The kids, their voices still filled with that laughter, go “Yes”. I am totally surprised when the teacher responds with a “Well then, let’s plan on having another wonderful day tomorrow. Time to go home now!” The kids begin to line up and I am blown away. What a lovely way to end the day and set a tone for the next day!

There are days when I feel frustrated with things that may not be going my way, day that I feel overwhelmed and then I make a deliberate attempt to feel happy for the things, good things that are happening to other people. As I breathe and smile at their successes, I feel a relief, a feeling of weight being lifted off my shoulders. The joy and the lightness I feel is something I cannot describe. Very often, I practice feeling that deliberately. That is a lovely way to end the day and set the tone for the next day.

Some days yoga practice becomes well, a vent out day as my friend and I talk as we practice. I have another yoga friend who calls these kinds of classes as therapy sessions and indeed they are, for the challenge is to hold on to that single pose till the person venting is done. Oh boy the relief mentally and physically for being able to get out of the pose is something that needs to be experienced. Anyways this friend, the wise person that she is, today comments “You know I always tell my children that everyone has their place in the world”. If they look at their place, not somebody else’s and feel proud of who they are and what they have become/are becoming, they will be happy. Such a lovely way to start the day!

As I watch my youngest student work her way through a situation, I tell her “S, you know you are such a sweet person?” The child that she is, she responds with a “I know”. So, who else tells you that and without missing a beat she goes “My mom.” Mothers I tell you! They are simply amazing, and I can see the sparkle in the little child’s eyes, a knowing that all that matters is what mom says about her. I hope all of you had a wonderful Mother’s Day. This year for reasons I cannot explain, the only Mother’s Day wishes I got are from friends that rarely pop in to say hello and that pleased me immensely. Of course, there was that little bouquet in my mail box from a friend wishing that pleased me to no end! What a lovely way to end the day and set the tone for the next day!

Is it a coincidence that my vocabulary word of the day is JOMO - a feeling of contentment with one’s own pursuits and activities, without worrying over the possibility of missing out on what others may be doing.

jskls, kaniths, Scorpio707 and 12 others like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That sounds like such a happy KG class, Sabitha!

Aww..... that is so wonderful. That could only come from a child - that kind of innocence!

Thanks for a lovely snippet to start my day, Sabitha. So glad you had a lovely mothers' day!

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  3. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

And what a lovely way to start the day!!

So profound!! Adding it to my list of quotable quotes ( in the head :) ), not sure if i use this it might bounce back ;) on me in the midst of mom-child gyan session :)!!
    And I loved to start my day reading through your writing! Therapy as they say :)

JOMO is my favorite phrase these days:).. ahh the Joy of missing out! Actually its the ones who are missing out on this , who don't realsie what they are misisng !! :)

4. saileela85

saileela85 Bronze IL'ite

Beautiful post to read..I can relate to it as my my daughter is in Kinder and when I say are we today she says "very good" and how are we going to be tomorrow again a voice "very good" ...hope her innocence stays the same ..

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1. Mudita - The feeling that you cannot describe and have described so well is mudita at its purest.
    2. This might begin to sound as confusing as Inception's intricacies but a fleeting feeling of similar yet dissimilar mudita-ness enveloped me on reading the above about your mudita-ness. : )
    3. I did not relate JOMO to FOMO until I read afresh's post! What a beautiful concept: joy of missing out!
    4. Multitasking yoga with venting? My twin deserts me here. : ) Any yoga, exercise or similar venture has to be filled with silence for me. Or just my thoughts and maybe music.
    5. Reading the snippet has been a great way to end the day.

GOD helps with GOOD end to all days if we look under the day's HOOD.

Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    What a wonderful way of looking tomorrow! If you take one day at a time..... whole life would be wonderful!
    I know the sentence of Scarlet O'Hara from Gone with the wind when she has frustrated moments of life used to say to herself "Tomorrow is another day." But this is even better "Today and tomorrow are wonderful days." A peaceful time to end today and looking for tomorrow equally wonderful!
    Best sentence is every one has a unique place in this world. Yes.... that is the message we have to give to children.
    Thank you Afresh for the new word JOMO.
    Syamala

Srama, Anusha2917 and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

I started yesterday with a big smile in my face with the wonderful greeting card from @Rihana and many ILites wishing me for my birthday. I stopped doing Yoga now but when I was practicing, my Yoga teacher told me to visualize inhaling good and exhaling bad. Imagining that gave a big relief.

A devotee in my spiritual center said a day before, "Oh My God! you are so selfish". I have taken a back. She pointed out to my phone and told, "You have your photograph as the lock screen and not your family". I laughed and explained to her, "If I lose my phone, no one need to ask around whose phone this is and can directly hand it over to me". I walked away without checking whether she was satisfied with my answer or not. Every person has a place in this world and everyone thinks differently. Observing that and making someone feel happy is a great pleasure.

I say the following prayer in the morning and go to bed with another:

Morning Prayer

"O Lord! I awake now from sleep.
    I am determined to carry out all my work this day as a offering to Thee,
    with Thee ever present before my mind's eye.
    Make my thoughts, words, and deeds sacred and pure.
    Let me hurt no one and let no one hurt me
    Direct and guide me this day, Dear Lord."

Night Prayer

"O Lord! The day's actions, which I offered to you this morning, are over. It was You who made me think, talk, walk and act. I therefore place at Your feet all my thoughts, all my words, all my deeds. Receive me, O Lord! I am coming home to Thee."

Viswa

Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi, @satchitananda ,

Thank you for your response. I realize (even after all these years), that if I pay attention there is such joyful little things happening that it can make my day so lovely!

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Afresh ,

Always so lovely to hear from you! Now, I totally understand this chain of happiness - my day started happily with all the likes and responses here! I just need to remind myself to start and end that way!

As for the quotable quotes, especially this one I am learning that I need to remind myself that, shove all the negative information coming away and breath-in in the joy of uniqueness, actually believing it. I don't know about you, but I can see you totally as a JOMO person - that joy of missing out can also be such a relief, helping us stay rooted and be happy in who we are. Your explanation of the word is indeed the truth. May be we should have a JOMO club and update of what we missed out - one it helps us and two, it might even help us appreciate the joy someone else is feeling! Now that I think about it, I am sold on it.....perhaps a JOMO club at home first ;-).

Afresh and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @saileela85 ,

Welcome to IL and my snippet :) Cherish those moments and continue to savor them. Kids that age are so innocent, that it is so beautiful even to just watch them forget interacting. Enjoy your lovely daughter.

Thyagarajan likes this.