1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What a Gorgeous Day, and Look at all the Gorgeous Colors!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Jul 31, 2011.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Here's a light-hearted story, part of the Sweety-Gerald series (if that what you want to call it)....

Maude was a blonde, middle-aged lady who had a raspy voice from all the years of smoking.

Maude was raised in the Appalachians and saw poverty first hand. But she was one of the lucky ones who got herself out of poverty, and put herself through Nursing School.

Married with two kids, money was still tight, and this toughened Maude even more.

Maude was a dedicated wife and mother. And she was a compassionate, hard-working nurse, who received accolades from patients even years after they were discharged from the hospital.

Like a Bagel, Maude was tough on the outside, but soft on the inside.

Two wonderful things happened to Maude in the recent past:

1) She finally quit smoking.
    2) Her son Gerald found a nice girl who he was set on marrying.

At first, Maude was taken aback because Gerald wanted to marry Sweety, a second-generation American whose family was from India.

Sure, Maude has seen the sterotypical images of India in the media, and had worked with Doctors from India, but Maude felt she was in unfamiliar terrain.

Slowly but surely Maude got more familiar with the unique diversity of the Indian culture, and has opened her heart and mind to accept Sweety as her future daughter-in-law.

And today, Maude was going to meet Sweety and her mom for the first time.

All three of them will be shopping for Saris, Jewelry, etc in Little India, in preparation for the Sweety ad Gerald's Indian Wedding.

"Oh my, aren't you gorgeous, Honey. Gerald has told me so much about you", Maude exclaimed, as she gave Sweety a big hug.

"And how are your Mrs. Kaushal?", Maude said to Sweety's Mom, to whom she also gave a big hug.

"We're happy to meet you Mrs. Harper", replied Sweety's mom warmly.

The three ladies spent the whole day in Little India window shopping for clothes and jewelry.

"Oh my.....look at the Gorgeous sari on that model! Such Gorgeous colors and fabric", Mrs. Harper commented upon seeing on of the manequins modelling the latest fashions.

During lunch, they went to a popular Indian restaurant.

"Oh, I heard Indian food is so spicy", said Mrs. Harper as the three ladies were looking over the menu.

"One lady I knew tried Indian food for the first time had her mouth on fire", Mrs. Harper narrated.

"And when she grabbed a can of Diet Coke to drink, the burning in her mouth intensified. I thought we would have to call 911", Mrs. Harper said, laughing.

Sweety and her mom also chuckled.

Sweety and her mom decided to order Dosa's and encouraged Mrs. Harper to order Plain Paper Dosa.

After lunch, Mrs. Harper was clearly satisfied.

"Oh, such wonderful food, I am stuffed", exclaimed Mrs. Harper.

"I hope you can cook such wonderful dishes, Sweety", Mrs. Harper said.

"I certainly will', replied Sweety, who enjoyed the art of cooking.

After lunch, the three ladies walked around to the shops they previously visited.

And the bargaining began.

Mrs. Harper was so amused by the way Sweety's mom bargained for saris, speaking in her native tongue.

And how excitable and aggravated the shop clerk was!

At the end of the day, Mrs. Harper picked out several items for herself.

"I will need to practice wearing a sari, they are so absolutely gorgeous!", exclaimed Mrs. Harper as the three of them were waiting for Gerald to pick them up by car.

"And I cannot wait to wear all this beautiful jewelry! Just love the colorful bangles!", a delighted Mrs. Harper said.

Indeed, it was a Gorgeous Day, and a wonderful start to a splendid married life for both Sweety and Gerald.

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Z,

Very gorgeous,great,grand and good grabbed the theme my dear. I felt i was with them in their conversation when they were having indian food and doing the shopping.wonderful and a warmth wedding preparation.:)