1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Were Women Better Off In The Past

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ChennaiExpress, Jan 6, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Thank you, I had to just come out and write it

Yes on legal documents we should keep Struggles as middle name, LOL

Exactly, keep beautiful and keep smiling!

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  2. ChennaiExpress

Ahhh, it is so good to have an understanding father.

Hope you have a Happy and Loving Marriage.

MonikaSG likes this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

This sounds like a nightmare.

Before it was pressure from IL, now it's pressure from society.

At least women have the option of playing cards of life. If they play card right they never have to deal with unpleasantness of IL or what others think about them.

During the reign of Cleopatra (2000 years ago, ancient Egypt), women had similar type rights and freedoms. After her death all these luxuries vanish.

If only these rights and privileges get extended for future generations. I would shudder to think that women get ill-treated in future generations.

4. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Yes kind of. Not much big issue is there so you can say that. :(

5. ChennaiExpress

Wow. I'm glad that things got better in the later generations.

I'm happy to hear that you are now in happy marriage.

I am also in USA, same continent :)

I was bringing to my experience because I had to no choice but to work.

If women want to work while they are pregnant, then by all means that is great.

Glad it all worked out!

6. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Working can be wonderful only if it comes with financial independence.But the situation in most Indian household is not ideal.I've read so many things on these forums:-
    Sometimes, lady has to hand over salary to husband.
    Sometimes, she buys house with husband, but that will be in FIL's name.
    She toils hard to create emergency fund for their future- 1st emergency to break it? SIL's dowry!!
    PILs expect her parents to pay for her 1st pregnancy, baby-shower, dowry , gold, everything else, even if she is working - why can't she pay ? Parents educated her to be financially independent- still after marriage she has to be dependent on parents then what's the point?
    Even if she is working hard, she alone has to come home and cook for everyone, most cases MIL neither approve of cook/maid nor allow husband to enter into the kitchen.
    She will leave her baby with MIL and go to office, most cases overpossesive MIL tries to turn the kid against the mom.
    I'm not experiencing the above things-I'm not even a mom yet. I've just written the things I've read so many case son this forum.

Before marriage, woman work for themselves with full freedom that's why they love to work. After marriage most women become the maid who also brings a paycheck. Imagine you had to work in an office, and instead of getting paid salary you have to pay them for letting you work!I feel that;'s the case for most working women. They can't call their money their own, nor their time, nor even her children - I see many possessive MILs who try to turn the child against mother when she goes for work.Leaving child with MIL and going -I've seen many women suffer.

My husband is pretty liberal and believes in gender equality, helps with everything because I go to office and work equally hard, and even promised to allow me to take care of parents. (Ofcourse I have to convince for these !) That doesn't stop the entire society to try and turn him against me for why he treats me like equal, to convert him into something else! It's a constant struggle really living in such a society, and ofcourse it affects my marriage .

(Also, I think really main criteria is to have liberal inlaws, because in the end they end up deciding your life no matter how good your husband may be.)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    GeetaKashyap and MonikaSG like this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Lets see!
    My Grandmother had no access to birth control and had ten kids.
    My Mom, who went on the pill suffered from terrible side effects from the high dose hormones.
    I have access to a variety of birth control. Low does hormonal pills are lifesavers for women. They help with BC but also with a hoard of other issues. And the SCOTUS just gave millionaire employers an excuse to not cover it.

I’d say we are at the same stage. Fighting for birth control as a right. I’m not too hopeful for the future either.

8. ChennaiExpress

Oye vey, that sounds like a nightmare!

Luckily your H has his head on straight (no matter how hard society tried to turn it backwards!)

9. ChennaiExpress

We must pray for the future. Only God can save us from Kali Yuga (I thought we were ascending Kali Yuga).

The far far future is Satya-Yuga, where men and women are equals. Different, complimenting, equals.

[​IMG]

Laks09 likes this.
  10. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Dear CE,
    The problem is past or present, women are always expected to prove themselves....
    One good thing now is that, most women voice out their opinions and views about things, which wasnt happening in the past.....
    I still feel that lot of things and thoughts needs to be changed....
    Life is uncertain and unpredictable, so woman/man learn things, don’t compare yourself with others.... be the better version of yourself....
    When you raise a level higher, most of the issues in life seems to be trivial and meaningless....

ChennaiExpress likes this.