1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Were Women Better Off In The Past

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ChennaiExpress, Jan 6, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Below are just my rambling thoughts.

I'm just wondering were women better off in the past.

Back then there was division of labor

Men worked outside the house

Women worked inside the house

Men earned a living with their hard work and sacrifice

Women made life worth living with their hard work and sacrifice

Men and Women worked together

Now it seems women are expected to work outside the house and keep the house running like clockwork

In a lot of Indian-US-based matrimonial ads considerable number of Men say they expect their wives to work. They don't say who will take care of Housework (which itself is a 24hr-7-days-a-week job)

Meantime things like "mancave" have come into our venacular when Men can hide in their own special room, watch sports, video games, maybe watch pixelated ladies, i.e p0rn

Hundreds of years ago when Men went to war to defend their families, only cowards and deserters hide in caves.

Are a lot of men becoming cowards and deserters?

It seems women have to wear the pants in the family while the man behaves like a child.

Even in US-based shows and commercials it shows the woman has everything together while the man is immature, lacks responsibility

Plus women have to go through 9 months of pregnancy, who helps with that? I see lot of pregnant ladies still coming to work when they should be resting.

On one hand there is a natural, instinctive human desire to be one with someone else, to start a home, a family.

On the other hand is this cold reality around us.

Somehow I think things have become topsy-turvy, and it is favor of men only.

Women generally look for deep emotional bonds when it comes to marriage.

Men are more on the physical side when it comes to marriage. But what is the incentive for a man to marry when he can easily get casual sex, or better yet, free sex on his high-speed internet?

Of course if the woman makes lot of $$$ that is an attraction to a man, if he can convince her to give that $$$.

Women will try to make a rotten marriage work if the are in love with the Man (or the mirage of the Man), even though that same Man would sell her down the river for a few breadcrumbs. Just search these forums!

Again, these are just my ramblings.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Just the question I keep asking, CE. Was our grandma's generation better off than us? It depends on the perspective, I suppose. We certainly have more possibilities open to us. We can go out, study, earn, make a mark in the world outside, be financially independent empowering us to walk out of unhappy marriages. The flip side, though is that men have not changed and continue the same life they lived earlier with the plus that the wife brings in more money, easing the burden on their shoulders.

3. ChennaiExpress

I absolutely agree.

Lot of times my Dad says get a boyfriend rather than get married. Once you are married, then the problems start.

And even thought women have financial means to walk out of unhappy marriage, are they emotionally able to cut off these ties?

But I cannot see myself giving myself to someone who cannot even sign a simple paper saying they will commit to me forever.

This is really making me think and be selective of who to marry (if ever)

It seems in Indian culture anyway, Man is told he is head of household and Husband is to be respected like God.

But do Husbands act like Gods?

That would be my litmus test to getting married. Is this person truly behaving like a God, i.e. providing, protecting, being sensible, or is he another silly (or in severe cases, abusive and toxic) person who wants to remove burdens from his shoulders, and get benefits of being a God?

Otherwise, better to stay single and worship the Real God.

Right now I catch glimpses of Sai Baba serial and am a bit envious at their simple lifestyle. Man and Women live together in Holy Matrimony, along with their children. They tackle life's problems together and have faith in God.

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

This.

6. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I get your point OP..sometimes with the frustration of work life balance ladies think whether they would have been better off living in the 1950-1970s time..
    but, on the flip side, ladies those days never had the kind of freedom and independence that we have now..if some male visitor came home, the ladies of the home had to go inside, it was considered highly shameful if a young girl were to be present in the same room as well, a boy and girl who are not siblings if seen talking together it could cause a scandal..ladies being married off just before or just after puberty and then bearing a child every year, minimum 7-8 kids was the norm those days..
    Reproductive rights?did the women have any knowledge or access to birth control?one wonders if all pregnancies were desired, or many by forced sexual encounters by the husband?as she dint have the right to even say no and had to co operate with the husbands needs..and what about the toll that repeated pregnancies took on the health of the ladies..imagine a woman getting pregnant every year, with a brood of 4-5 kids in a span of 7 years of marriage..she would be forced to take up the responsibilities of kids, family, household chores etc on her own and deal with in laws 24*7 ..
    U can just imagine, without modern day gadgets what was the immense amount of physical work they had to do..
    How many ladies do u know in ur grandma's era who were allowed to study well and do the course of their choice, or even go outside for work? Very very few...education those days was just a minimum requirement, marriage was main worry for dads of young girls.
    Did they even have a say as to what kind of man they wanted to marry? Oh no not at all..the elders of the family would fix everything and the bride and groom would see each other for first time on the wedding day..and what if the marriage didnt work? The woman had to suffer silently..no alternative at all..
    I don't think women of the past were better off..it's the present men who are at fault, they are living in the past and their attitude has to be changed..

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  7. ChennaiExpress

Life was unfair to ladies in the past. And you are right, males mindset hasn't changed. There are even websites and reddit subgroups that are calling for this to return. Even a woman's online group is saying if you didn't have children before your 30s you failed in life.

It seems that only males use women's freedoms to their advantage. For instance, expecting wife to bring home money. And because there are more women in the workplace, these same males can have affairs with a female, perhaps who herself is suffering and stuck in an unhappy marriage at home.

And of course the male is pampered by his parents. When I got married I was told to be nice to my now ex, and his family. But did anyone ever tell them to be nice to me?

You are right, we must demand that males behave more like men and take care of women. Taking care goes both ways.

When I wanted marriage, it was enough that they guy was young and handsome because I had good education and good-paying job.

I was told I was lucky to get this person (now ex) and that he was too good for me.

Turns out the ex never paid a penny for a single thing, yet demanded to be treated like a God. Even during intimacy he taunted me, taunted I have no power in my legs, taunted I flop like his elderly grandmother (turns out he was comparing me to the p0rn he would watch on high-speed Internet I paid for)

All the money and education in the world could not earn me the respect of such a devil.

Now I demand the guy act like a mature, responsible adult who truly understand what it means to be head of household (not some overgrown spoiled and pampered brat) before even proceeding to next steps (i.e. nice person, take care of health and nice looking, etc)

Otherwise no deal.

GeetaKashyap and nakshatra1 like this.
  8. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Neither grandma had it better nor the present generation . It's always only the men who get all the benefits at the expense of wives. For our present generation women , so called freedom comes at huge price of health n well being ..they work like robots- kitchen to office to kitchen to office n no sleep forget about having time for ourself and pop out babies on demand n layer become a caretaker for his parents ! Yet most women still want to get married I don't know why...I think solution is present generation mom's should raise their sons to be just and fair husbands .. to keep up with modern times .

Naari, GeetaKashyap and Sandycandy like this.
  9. ChennaiExpress

And this busy lifestyle is considered to be healthy, living a full life.

Maybe women want to get married is because of the dream they are fed. Seeing the beautiful bridal dholi, and all the Bollywood dreams.

Plus it is drilled into our heads that sex outside of marriage is bad. If we can get over that hump, plus we are earning ourselves, then things would be different.

Of course we have to demand males who keep us company have to pay for things, and behave useful, otherwise they are just mooching off us again.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Indian society defines a woman through her roles as a wife and mother and not as a individual with her own identity. Her role as a daughter does not get the same respect that a man gets as a son.
    That hasn’t changed at all through all these generations .

Indian parents need to raise their sons well but also need to bring up their daughters to be emotionally independent ,self confident . So many women here cannot distinguish actual abuse from simple marital conflicts. It’s better to be single anyway than being in a bad abusive marriage and it’s time the girls parents also realize that.
    It’s also important to clearly define roles/expectations before the couple gets married. Somehow in our marriages the couple gets engaged even before all that has been well thought about. How do you judge a person in a couple of meetings ? The taboo associated with broken engagements is another issue.

Talking of Indian men, another case of a indian man not keeping his hands to himself on a flight. That too with his own wife sitting next to him. With enough access to pixelated ladies and his own lady why would he do that ?? I fail to understand !