1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Weight reduction pills / surgery

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by latamurali, Feb 11, 2012.

1. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Friends

Anybody have been prescribed any weight reduction pills or suggested for any weight loss surgery( for you or any of ur friends/ family members) , if so , please share your experience here and also your opinion about the above

And, i see lot of threads going on about DIETING/ EXERCISE etc etc, in the midst of that you may feel this question absurd, but please dont mistake, just want to know the reviews details about the above matter

Please feel free to share it here

2. priya20coool

priya20coool Bronze IL'ite

There are a lot of pills and surgeries like liposuction to reduce fat or weight... But, whatever change you do to ur body through an external source, they are not that safe. You have to find out whether it suits your body, and post care, and tips to be taken care of during the course of the treatment, and a lot other details... Common women like us dont require these things.. Due to the cost of these treatments, and post treatment care, it is not usually suggested. And with pills, you need to maintain the weight after you stop them. And with surgery, you have to continue with gym and exercises to maintain your shape or you will again have the fat built up.. And very difficult diet habits to be followed post surgery. You would be required to sacrifice your most favorite food!!!!!

Better join some yoga classes. I went for yoga classes for just 12 days.. And I lost about 8 kgs just in that 12 days. I just did my yoga in class.. Did not even practice at home. That gave me good results. If I had continued it at home, I would have even had a better shape. But, I have a 2-year old kid. So I did even find the right time to practice after that. But try.. You will definitely have good results.

3. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear Priya

Thank you so much for your detailed reply........it was so soothing and caring...onceagain thank you, yeah, even i have heard about YOGA for weightloss , yet to join - 8kgs in 12 days very very very inspiring

4. priya20coool

priya20coool Bronze IL'ite

You are most welcome.. I like sharing my experiences if they are of any use to people around. I m just feeling alone and Indus Ladies just keeps me busy.. And all the for your yoga classes.. :)

5. nigu

nigu Silver IL'ite

My sister had the liposuction and a surgery too .
    She was obsese right from birth . I would blame my mom and her for finding reasons for her obesity.
    Basically all of us in our family like to eat but I always control and she cannot.SHe will never ex.
    She was met with a accident which worsened her state also after her kid she was super obese .

After liposuction she gained back all the fat again . The surgery dint suit her . Yes she became super slim sorry thin like a Aids patient . She was not able to eat anything and suffered a lot . If she ate 1 spoon more she will get stomach pain and vomit .Still the same after 2 Yrs .Nobody should go to this stage .

She is cursing herself everyday for it but before she went for surgery she got good review from people .
    We dont know if she was the one who has all the bad things happening.

Please dont go for surgery , Food control and ex will give slim and also heathy body .

Being healthy is more important than being beautiful .

6. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hi Nigu

Thank you so much for your personal reviews, i understand ....

7. swan02

swan02 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Here is my advice. Bariatric or lap-band Surgery is an option only for those who are morbidly obese. By definition this means a BMI of greater than 40. Otherwise the risks involved outweigh the benefits.

Liposuction on the other hand is a cosmetic procedure with fewer systemic side effects so can be an option for those who are considering surgery with a high BMI but not morbidly obese.

In my opinion, avoid surgery at all costs! Your body and organ systems are precious and don't cut them up for any reason. If you have a high weight loss goal, a high protein diet combined with a strong fitness regimen will do wonders. Try to cut out carbs from your dinner. Have some complex carbs for breakfast and lunch only. Also, when doing aerobic excercise, do it for a MIN of 45 minutes. Remember, the first 30 minutes or so go to burning glycogen, and only after that does the body start to burn fat. Doing a combination of yoga and strength training is essential. I typically recommend yoga as it increases flexibility and in general, makes the weight loss more uniform.

8. swan02

swan02 Silver IL'ite

Regarding diet pills....they are always a no. Most of them have un-approved and harmful substances so be very careful. On the other hand, do have your physician check you for things like thyroid which can have a huge impact on weight.

9. kalaipriya

kalaipriya Platinum IL'ite

Hi Priya,

That's great 8 kgs in 12 days. Can you provide name of the yoga or give us the instruction. It will be useful for all.

10. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Hi LM

How are you? Long time not to be heard at all....

My mom was morbidly obese almost 135kgs with high BP and sugar which was not getting controlled at all. Otherwise all her other parameters were ok. Her mobility suffered a lot due to obesity. it was a herculean task for her to walk or board an auto (leave alone bus).

Hence we decided to go for Bariatric (Gastric Bypass surgery) and she is 63 years old. Lot of tests were performed before the surgery and everything was ok and we went ahead for the surgery. Was in the hopital for 2 days post operation and was discharged with medications. It is almost 9 months now and she has reduced almost 25 - 30 kgs... looks better now. The best part was her diabetes is gone and BP is very much normal hence all those medications are withdrawn :)

But there are negative aspects tooo:

Post operation only liquids like clear juices/soups are given with a quantity of 100 ml max in regular intervals for almost 2 months. Later thick liquids like kanji, vegetable stock etc are given for another two months. Hopefully these things are well tolrighted by the patient then slowly solids are introduced. Now she takes Broken weat mainly with lots of veges and fruits (no limit to veges & fruits). To avoid all carbonated drinks, oil, fat etc. But the quantity gets reduced very rapidly. She can take only around a small cup of broken wheat for morning and night put together. Moreover as there is a depletion of vitmains, oral supplements are given and monthly one injection is also administered.

Emotionally we may find little difficult to accept the quantity that they consume and the pain they need to go through (physically as well as emotionally) but on the whole her health has improved. She is able to walk easily and boards an auto easily. Her quality of life is better though her calcium has come down a lot (reason maybe because of age) for which medicines are being given.

I would always suggest try all natural means to reduce the weight. Atleast keep yourself quite active by walking a lot. If none of the methods help then think of the surgery but it is quite exhorbitant too. Talk to the doctors well before the surgery weigh all the pros and cons and then take a decision. This surgery is very good for people who are morbidly obese like my mom but heard from the doctors that even younger marriageable age ladies also opt for this and there is lesser amount of complications because of the age being favourable. Hence doctor would be the best person to advise and also go with the best doctor in this area.

I hope this helps you.