Weight loss happening at 17 weeks of pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sitharaj, Jan 30, 2012.

1. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

Initially I was very worried about gaining weight during pregnancy. I started my pregnancy with a bmi of 26 and so wanted to stay in the healthy slot...

I had lost about 1.3 kilos in my first trimester (due to morning sickness) and i was slowly getting back into track as i entered my second trimester.

In my 16th week app i weighed 64.8 kgs and last week i had hit 65kgs. Today morning when i weighed myself i was a bit shocked to see a weight loss and i weighed 64.3 kgs. though it is grams- i am a bit worried.

i have my next app in two weeks, should i wait upto then or is there something for me to worry about.

has anyone heard or had such an experience?

in this week my lifestyle hasnt changed nor my eating habits. the only change is that i have been having two sleepless nights because of mild body aches.

2. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

i was hoping to hear something more concrete

3. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite

Sithara,

Sorry to bombard your thread.
    But did you notice this neelujagan??? Just going on posting thanks for your info in every thread. Moderators please take note and block this person.

Not providing any info or sharing any.
    Just posting in all threads. Maybe he/she wants to get to 50 or 100 posts to become junior ilite but this is not the way.

1 person likes this.
  4. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

For what you are mentioning thanks here,Please read the post clearly and then
    reply..

5. poojachinoy

poojachinoy Gold IL'ite

sitharaj,on an average a healthy weight gain for a pregnant lady would be 12kgs by the end of the pregnancy...so loosing weight though is bit unusual,but it is not uncommon..because different bodies react differently..but in your case since you lost only about half a pound,it is very much normal..if still u feel aprehensive about it then keep a chek on your weight,if their is drastic weight loss then its an alarming sign..1-2 kgs is not bad...plus keep observing if you have any lower body crampings,cold and clammy pulse..or if their is excessive discharge than the normal which you were used to seeing..because loosing a kg or 2 basically signifies water loss than body fat..and in pregnancy the hormones cause your body to have electrolyte dysfunction..so chill out..relax..just be observant if you feel the need for it and have a healthy diet!..

1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I also lost 1 kg when I was 20 weeks. My doc said nothing to worry about and it could be due to water loss. However she did check the heart beat of the baby and measured me. She also asked me to rest up more.

7. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sithara,

A friend of mine had the same problem as you. She did have a very stressful trimester moving around a lot and with severe nausea. That weight loss was normal. After that too she hardly gained much, and like you seemed to be losing more than she was gaining.

Considering her pre pregnancy weight and weight loss in between, she had just gained about 5 kgs in all. We were not sure what was happening, but like you she did lose weight until almost 6.5 to 7 months. What ever she ate just went poof. But was told it was all normal. She had a healthy baby boy who was about 2.7kgs at birth and grew up to be a robust toddler. So don't worry about it too much.

You might want to talk to your doctor about this. Like Pooja mentioned, just keep track of it, but not too closely to stress you badly. If everything else is confirmed to be alright by your doctor, am sure you'll be more at peace.
    Hope you feel better dear. God Bless.

8. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

Hello ladies...

I had posted this query and for some weird reason (i am blaming all my laziness and forgetfulness on these pregnancy hormones)- cudnt come up and update.

Well post my 18th week- there has been no looking back for my weight. The scale just keeping showing me bigger figures everytime i stood on it. I guess that is because that was the time when my morning sickness finally decided to bid goodbye and by that time my appetite had increased too.

Like Rakhi had mentioned, my doc had suggested that there can be changes of 500-1000 gms difference at times, but dont compromise on the quality of the food that you take and eat when you are hungry.

Well following that mantra- i am as of today 27 weeks 6 days preggers with a weight increase of 6.7 kgs. I was also told that from your second trimester onwards- it is ideal if you gain 1.5 kilos a month (which again will differ based on the BMI with which you start your pregnancy).

I am hoping to gain and be in the desired weight range of 11-13 kilos (becoz i started my pregnancy with a bmi of 26); lets see- friends tell me that most of the weight gain happens in the final trim. So lets see how it goes :)

good luck ladies

1 person likes this.