1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Loss And Astrology!!!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Rith, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Part 1-2

“Hello Dude” A more than gentle pat on my shoulder brushed away my thoughts bringing me back to real world. It was none other than Chaitanya my colleague, my bestie in this company.

“You look so worried?” he asked arranging his things in his cubicle

“Sort of” I replied vaguely and unlocked my system. To be frank, I need to open up with someone to come out of the strange problem I am facing now.

I am Eshwar, 28 years old working in backend IT department of a reputed foreign bank. I was working in Mauritius for 5 years. I moved to India a year back and settled in the IT section of a foreign bank. Chaitanya became my close friend both professionally and personally. I will speak about my flashback well in detail along with Chaitanya.

Over to reality now. “Chaitanya! If you don’t have anything urgent to deliver, shall we spend some time in the garden behind our building please?” I almost pleaded him

Seeing the clouds of worries in my face, he accepted to come immediately. We walked towards the garden mutely. The garden was almost empty. We purchased coffee and sat in the bench.

“Tell me dude!” he jumped straight into the matter

After a pause I started narrating him the unturned pages of mine…

“As soon as I completed my engineering, I travelled to Mauritius to my Uncle’s house. I started working in a reputed bank. After 4 years my parents started looking alliance for me. When I came here for a vacation with absolutely no idea of the progress of alliance seeking and plans of my parents and of course not want to get married so soon, the things happened was upside down. My parents were adamant enough to complete at least the engagement before I leave. I rejected almost all the girls they showed. At one point they became furious and finalized one girl and the engagement completed 3 days prior to my travel date”

“Do you mean Ananya?” he asked surprised

I nodded my head. “It’s not like I married her against my wish. Just I am not interested in marriage” he beamed gesturing me to continue

“Marriage was finalized after 3 months from engagement. All arrangements were done to take her along with me after marriage. She was too excited to live in a foreign country that too in an island like Mauritius. By the time of marriage she was neither lean nor fat. But within 6 months we went there she has gained a lot”

I could see Chaitanya staring at me badly. I clarified “hey I am yet to come to the main point. My problem is not that”

He sat in a careless way and asked me to continue holding his head in his palm elbows resting on the walls of the bench. Having no option I decided to tell my problem anyways

“Though she was comfortable, I am not. Expenses went high. Most of the time she doesn’t cook and we ate outside food. All junk, Cheesy and fried foods become her part of day to day life. Eventually she gained lot of weight. After some time, I felt staying there no longer gonna help me in ways, so I decided to come back. We came back after lot of fights. She is not interested.

The main problem started after we come here. We planned to have a baby. Because of overweight she couldn’t conceive. There where the headache started for me. More than me she was desperate to have a baby. We consulted doctor and she advised Ananya to reduce her weight. But Ananya… Rather than reducing food and exercise she tried in all other impossible ways to reduce her weight. Lot of money was spent but that’s not the issue. Now the new way she has found, OMG, I don’t know where this will end in. I need a way to stop this and educate her a healthy way to reduce her weight, may be through proper diet, exercise or yoga or Zumba, anything which will work. Right?”

Chaitanya nodded his head “What is the new way she has found?” he asked

“Astrology” I mumbled

“What” he jumped from the bench “Weight loss and astrology? What is the relation man?” he almost yelled in despair

“SSShhh. Quiet. Now you understood my problem right? Like you I couldn’t jump and shout rather looked at her in panic. I again checked with her what she has asked him to predict; when we will have baby or… She casually replied when she will reduce her weight” I said in an embarrassed tone

“Nowadays people has started seeking astrological advice and looking for auspicious time even to brush teeth and take bath. Nonsense” Chaitanya pumped his fist on his thighs

“Dude. Can you help me to stop this? That astrologer has told some pariharams which costs a lakh rupees” I pleaded

His eyes wide opened jaws dropped “one lakh for what dude?”

“To perform some homam. That smoke would melt away the excess fat, that’s what he has told her”

“Oh…my…my…will he repay if that smoke doesn’t melt her fat”

“Ananya is so adamant to perform this homam dude” I said worryingly

“This is way bad Eshwar. No matter what. Don’t accept for that” he told firmly

“I tried in all possible ways in explaining her, convincing her, even ordered her not to go for this. But she is not ready to pay heed to my words. She is very adamant in this matter”

Chaitanya thought for some time. Then he said “Fine Eshwar. Let us cut the diamond with diamond only. This saturday another astrologer is coming to your home. Tell her he is the best one in the town. Rest I will take care”

“Another astrologer?” I asked in conundrum

“Leave it to me dude. I will handle this without the need of even a single penny” he assured

I sighed in relief after taking the confirmation from him around umpteen time. My mood is up now. We went back to work.

I reached home around 9 PM. The house was dead silent. She was found sitting on the canned swing in the balcony munching chips. Two empty packets were lying on the ground

“Ananya?” I gently patted her shoulder

She turned her face and I was shocked to see tears flowing like falls

“Hey what happened dear?” I asked her holding her chin. 2 more pieces of chips fell into her big mouth.

“What else to do? I didn’t have anyone except me to take care of me” she sniffed her nose bad

“Alright. Drama started” I said to myself leaning on the parapet wall allowing her to complete the rehearsed dialogues

As usual she narrated what a poor soul she is, why is it important to reduce weight, how happy the house will be if we have baby, how house becomes home, everything in much dramatical manner. The highlight is even in the mid of drama, when I tried to grab certain pieces of chips she took my hand off the packet. Phew…for next half an hour I was locked in the same place forced to listen to her dialogues, correction: rehearsed dialogues

“If you eat like this, how you can reduce weight?” I muffled casually in much low one. My bad time it fell perfectly on her ears. She threw the chips packet she was gulping till now, down and stood in front of me with hands on her hips sighing heavily.

I mutely went away from that place, refreshed and emptied the dinner plate. She was waiting for me in the bedroom for another round of arguments I guess. I was in a dilemma whether I can go back to hall or enter the lion’s den, I was playing inky pinky ponkey that’s when she grabbed my collar and pushed to the bed. I was bit scared.

“Transfer 1 lakh tomorrow. I can’t take such words any more. We are doing the homam. Next month I am size zero. The very next month, I should be pregnant. DOT” she gestured placing a dot on my forehead fierce fully and went away. I shook my head rubbed my fingers on the forehead. I felt the entire room is swirling behind me. I managed to get up and went to the hall.

She was sitting on the sofa gulping a piece of cake. I looked at the time and her. “I ususally take 2/3 pieces. After Doctor has advised, I have restricted to one, you know?” she replied at my gesture

I groaned in consternation, smiled at her and sat next to her wrapping her shoulders “Look Ananya! You are beautiful to me no matter what. Your look never annoys me though. But only thing is I don’t want you to fall as pray for someone’s greed. Fine, just because you are very much interested to reduce your weight, and you seek astrology as a way to do that, I drilled down to a best astrologer of this city. I have taken his appointment this Saturday”. Her face brightened. I continued “I checked with almost all the sources. Smoke doesn’t melt fat. May be certain drinks. So trust me. He is a saint kind of. He does face reading and predicts future upfront” I told exactly what Chaitanya asked me to tell her

“Wow. That’s a great news” she pinched my cheeks. The cream of cake stuck to my cheeks. I stared at her enacting a fake anger. “Sorry” she blushed, wiped the cream with her hands and ran away dancing happily

To be continued…

Bhoonzee, muggs, mbharani and 10 others like this.

2. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

your title made me read this...Waiting to see what they have planned and how do they counter

3. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

how cool...good going Rith!

4. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Part 2-2

The most awaited Saturday came. I was most excited and thrilled to know how he is going to solve my problem. Ananya decked her up nicely and prepared lot of snacks. She was running her and there enthusiastically. I was imagining the probability of what he would say and how Ananya would react and grinned within myself

Around 11 AM, Chaitanya came with a man of around 60 years old. He looked majestic, trimmed beard, salt and pepper mostly salty hair with single streak of holy ash on his forehead. His eyes were bright and sharp. He was clad in sandal knee length kurta and white dhothi. When he entered Ananya fell on his feet and pulled me with a force which made me to fall on the ground. It hurt my nose. Chaitanya smirked.

“May god shower all his blessings to you” he wished

I stood up rubbing my nose and tried to see my nose moving my facial muscles in all possible ways. Ananya pinched me. Still rubbing my nose I stood near Chaitanya

Ananya made him sit on the mat in the Pooja room. The incense sticks were lighted spreading nice fragrance throughout the house.

Who is he? I gestured. Chaitanya typed “Mamaji” in his phone and showed to me. I was convinced and looked at them.

Mamaji asked me and Ananya to sit in front of him. I was forced to clad myself in dhothi by my beloved wife. I usually feel very uncomfortable to sit anywhere in dhothi. He made me to sit on the floor. I cursed Ananya and try to sit in comfortable position without my dhothi leaving me embarrassed. Finally I settled in a position may be after 5 minutes which made Mamaji to look at me like an alien, Ananya stared at me like she will burn me, Chaitanya was found laughing at me silently closing his mouth. I felt embarrassed and looked at Mamaji innocently

Mamaji placed his rolled fist in his chest and chanted mantras closing his eyes. I yawned and got a pinch and a punch from Ananya. “Aaah” I shouted and she closed my mouth immediately gritting her teeth. After a couple of minutes Mamaji opened his eyes and looked at Ananya

“Tell me my dear! What do you want to know?”

“Guru ji, I am slightly overweight which stands as a hurdle for my progeny. When I will reduce my weight so that I will be blessed with a baby. I suspect some dosha which is standing as main hindrance for the progeny”

Slightly????alright. Reduce the intake of chips and burger. Your weight will be automatically reduced I murmured when Mamaji closed his eyes.

She pinched hard in my thighs. Chanitanya ran to balcony to control his laugh. I swallowed the pain and kept mum. Her ears have become sharp nowadays

Mamaji opened his eyes and told “My girl! You have been affected with Kadothgaja dhosha. Persons with this dosha tends to eat more. Till this dosha gets eradicated from your life, you will not reduce even a pound and hence no chance for progeny.

“Oh No!” Ananya closed her mouth with her hands, she looked disappointed “means should I eat less?”

“Don’t worry! I will help you come out of this. But you should be very strict in what I say and not even a single day you should escape from following this. Only a strict and dedicated practice will help you in coming out of this. Think and tell me” Mamaji told strongly

“Tell us the pariharam Guruji” I asked when Ananya was in deep thought what the pariharam could be. When I asked she looked at Mamaji bluntly

“You should start the day with 10 sets of surya namaskar before sunrise and 10 sets after sunset. There should be a goddess temple near your place. You should perform 100 rounds morning and evening. No non veg strictly. No outside food. You should eat only home cooked food. This is something like a great penance to please god to eradicate the most powerful dhosham from you. You have got this only after you have travel somewhere abroad, Am I right?” Mamaji asked

I looked at Ananya. She looked pale, her mouth wide opened. I imagined Ananya without junk food. She simply nodded her head up and down as a reply

Mamaji continued “Hmm. That’s why. Sadly, Except this, no other way can help you come out of this my girl. People may suggest lot of things but they all are waste of time and energy and of course money. I am sure, if you follow this religiously, you will call me for the naming ceremony of your child in the very near future.” Ananya looked at him. The impact of shock was clearly visible in her eyes. I felt pity on her. Mamaji continued “and no doubt you will look like ever 16 heroine” he smiled at her

Those last statement brought smile in her face. But the question she asked vanished the smile in my face “Guruji! I will do what all you told. But since this is associated with child birth, my husband should also take part in these, am I right?”

“Haaaa!!!” this time my mouth wide opened. I noticed Mamaji smirked at me. “Why me?” I mumbled

“Of course. He should also do. I meant for you both only” Mamaji winked at me without Ananya’s notice

“No” I groaned again

She stared at me. I stared at Chaitanya who didn’t come out of the balcony laughing continuously in a silent manner.

20 sets of surya namaskar. No non vegetarian. 6 months” I was astonished

“Guruji! Your fees?” asked Ananya

“The good news that you are going to convey sooner is the fees I need. God bless you!” he stood up from the mat

“Please have something at least Guruji. I prepared snacks for you” she offered.

“Give this to poor children ma. Their good wishes will bring good luck to you” he replied and started. Mamaji and Chaitanya had water and preferred to take leave from us

“I will send him off and come” I said to Ananya and went down

“Thank you Mamaji. So nice of you to come all the way to my home and advised her. I will be grateful to you ever” I said folding my hands.

“Eshwar, astrology is still a noble profession. It is because of people’s greediness and certain astrologers who learnt just half way and use these people’s greediness to make money, the trust on astrology is getting faded day by day. The main purpose of astrology is to try reducing people’s sin and increase their closeness to the ultimate power called God. Just because few people misuse it, we cannot blame astrology in general. Usually I don’t come for such stuff but when Chaitanya told about you and your wife, I felt very bad. Being in the same field I feel responsible to correct the mistake of my fellows, hence I came here. Encourage her to follow what I told. Soon, you will invite me for the baby shower. God bless you! Between I had fun at your home. I tried hard to control my laugh. I like you guys. Stay happy forever like this” Mamaji gently pat on my shoulders and left

I thanked Chaitanya for bringing him home. I came up to my flat once they left. Ananya was packing the snacks in a bag. Each time she packs it, she looked at the packs in dismay and left a huge sigh. I felt very bad looking at her in this state

I went near her and hugged “Ananya. Again I am telling you, you are beautiful irrespective of how you look. Child is secondary. You stay happy and cheerful as ever. I couldn’t see you like this. You eat whatever you want, yeah??”

She nodded her head left to right as no. “Let me try Eshwar. Not a big deal. Anyways I am not going to do it alone.”

“Oh! Yes! I forgot that fact. Mamaji!!!?????What have you done to me” I rolled my fist and hit my mouth and head randomly shaking my head left to right.

“Today is an auspicious day. I have checked the calendar. Lets start today itself” she announced

“But Ananya!?? You have to reduce weight. Why me?” I asked in pleading tone

“But Eshwar. Reducing the weight is to get a child. If I am the producer are you not the co-producer?” asked Ananya mimicking my tone. “Between change your expression. You are looking just like a ginger eating monkey”

She switched on the smart TV, browsed for surya namaskar poses and chose the one of Baba Ramdev’s after watching lot of videos. Man, he is bending his body like rubber.

“Uffff” I sighed and casually moved my eyes and stunned to look at Ananya’s reaction. She batted her eyelids several times and closed opened her mouth rhythmically. I shook her head and grinned. “If at all not for me, I should do for her” I thought

And from then on our day started with surya namaskar and porridges and salads and soups. She sincerely followed the conditions. Every morning and evening she used to go round the nearby temple. Though she felt difficult initially, she become used to this routine. My expenses on junk foods were reduced and increased on millets and grains and vegetables and fruits. Chips packets were replaced by fruits and dry nuts. Fried snacks were replaced by boiled whole grain chats. We welcome sun and bid adieu with 20 sets of surya namaskar. I took her to regular outings for relaxation. After 8 months of dedication, sincerity Ananya shed 15 kgs and I shed 5 Kgs and felt active than before.

“This is the healthy way of reducing weight” I told her when she was busily browsing kurta in Myntra.

“Look! I am in size M now, from XXL, can you believe FROM XXL” she exclaimed

I emptied ABCD smoothie (Apple, banana chia seeds and dates smoothie. Ananya browsed this from some source and trust me, this tastes really good) and sat relaxed on the sofa stretching my legs and supporting my head on my hands

Last 8 months. We both were active, had healthy food and hence we could see the difference in our stamina. Exercise has become a part of our life. I treated Chaitanya in a top class restaurant. If he has not brought his uncle to our house, it would be a worst nightmare how our life would have turned.

Exactly after an year mamaji visited our home. I went home by 11 PM after a tiring work day. I was welcomed by candle light filled home and a delicious aromatic soup was arranged on the dining table in three cups 2 big cups and one small cup. I got the hint. My joy grew no bounds. I ran throughout the home and found Ananya in the balcony watering a new small pot.

“Hey Ananya!” I yelled in excitement

“Welcome Dad to be” she said casually without taking her eyes off the rose plant

I felt very happy. I hugged her. That was the best day in my life. I could see the excitement in her eyes as well. The little rose plant smiled at us

The End…

muggs, SpringB, mbharani and 11 others like this.
  5. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Thank you creativemumma..I have posted the last part. Hope you will enjoy the story

6. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Thank you PS. Good day !!

7. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

Enjoyed thoroughly!

Rith likes this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I enjoyed the story and the lovely way you spread the message.
    You have one more fan in me.

9. Rampuri9

Rampuri9 Silver IL'ite

good one rith:) thoroughly enjoyed two parts of the story ..now a days reality may b

10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Wow awesome enjoyed it!