1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Gain With Anti-depressants

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ShabnamF, Jun 30, 2017.

1. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Hi!
    So I have been putting on weight over the last few months, it started about 2-3 months after I started on anti-depressants. I am really worried that I will keep putting on more weight if I don't stop the meds. In addition to that I am binging on food, but I am sure I did not put on 7-8 kgs only by eating more.
    I was searching about this online and found a video where a guy says weight gain with depression meds cannot be reversed. Is that true?

Any advice from people who have been on anti-depressants?

I took Nexito 20 mg for 8 months.
    I am currently on Sertraline 50mg twice a day since 2 weeks.
    I am also on Clonazepam 0.50 twice a day.

2. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

Dear,
    As per my experience,i was taking anti-depressants long ago and yes it caused me weight gain. but know what, i stopped all those tablets taking initiative on my side fully.
    i dont know what you went through to take those tablets but yes its all in your hands to stop them too and be tablet free and normal.

sindmani likes this.
  3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Op, please try to reduce antidepressants. I am not a psychiatrist though . I know it has side effects other than wheight gain. So please talk to a counsellor regarding other therapies rather than Taking medicines. I am sure u will get through this phase. All the best.

4. Light

Light New IL'ite

Anti depressive medication and weight gain are common.

5. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Yes, I understand that weight gain is common with anti depressants, what I am seeking to know is-
    Will the weight gain be permanant?
    Will exercise and healthy dieting work while Im on the medication?

6. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

Hmm like in the case of pcos, how weight loss seems difficult, so is the case here too.
    and weight gain is stubborn to get rid of.

7. Light

Light New IL'ite

It is not permanent if there is will to make it so.

Exercise and healthy diet are good for the body. The exercise will release clogged emotions that need releasing.

The main point is to understand why you need anti depressants.

You need to someone to talk to.

ShabnamF likes this.
  8. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

I understand that I need to talk to someone and I am working on it. I have recently changed my Psychiatrist and my meds have been changed too. The doc asked me to wait for a month before beginning counselling.

I have never been the kind of person who would set goals and stick to them. Even when I was studying, I would make many time tables to be followed to prepare for exams but was not very successful in achieving it completely.
    When it comes to weight loss I have a strong will to lose weight but I am fighting against Depression and it's making things harder.
    Everytime I workout it is an achievement for me, bcoz only I know what it takes for me to get up from the bed, put on my shoes and get on the treadmill. I think someone who is going through depression will understand this.
    But everytime I do that, it makes the next time a bit more easier. I workout atleast once in 2 or 3 days, sometimes I workout continously for 3-4 days at a strech.
    I am dieting too, but I lose my control when my mood dips and I start binging on food. I end up feeling guilty.

9. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Hi i didnt take anti depressive medicine but melatonin. I had sleep issues and have no other option than taking that medicine..

I gained so much weight.. later i stopped medicine and did regular exercise and food control. I lost around 7 kg in 3 months.

Weight loss is always hard.
    I still have sleep issues but not regularly. I try to do meditation and yoga, exercise rather than taking medicine..

ShabnamF likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame