1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Concern For 4 Years Old

Discussion in 'Kids Korner' started by Jas82688, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Dear moms,

My daughter is 4 years old in the last checkup she weighed 29 lb ( 4th% ) height 40 inch (85%) ..she is very picky eater Doesn't eat food properly or drink milk ..

These r day when she went to school without breakfast .. am really worried about this .. she is very adamant when it comes to food otherwise she is very active n smart ..

Her pediatric is ok with weight but concerned about calcium since she refuses to drink Milk straight .. doesn't eat curd ..

I tried all north south recipes nothing she likes like paneer curries ..

Ladies pls suggest me how can I improve her appetite so that she feels hungry n eat .. it's not like am not cooking food she Doesn't eat at all ..

Pls give me ur advice if any one faced such issues n got the solution am not able to think anymore ..

2. shifas

shifas Bronze IL'ite

Hii @Jas82688

My daughter weighs 13.5kg. She is really adamant when asked to eat something. She is four years old and her doctor always gives me tips to improve her earing habit. She luks very thin and unhealthy. Her height is just alrite.
    What was your kids birth weight? According to my kids birth weight she is underweight and wherever we go people always comment about her health.
    What is her food habits. What do u usually give her?
    I usuallay try idli, dosa, idiyappam, appam, puttu, poori, upma for breakfast along with sambhar chutney or some other veg curries.
    And to have milk i have scold and beg.
    Snacks she never eats anything. may be a glass of water.
    Lunch will be rice and curry and some fry. My daughter loves curd. Thats wat i give her this time. She will have curd just like icecream.
    Evening snacks i usually make chapathi with egg.
    Then dinner chapathi and some curry. And if i am lucky she may have milk befire going to bed.
    I am a housewife and my who days revolves around my daughter and i find making her eat exhausting just bcs f this. I find myself in the kitchen always making something for my child but what she does is she will just close her mouth.
    If you think she is not eating properly you have to make sure there is nothing else which makes her refuse food.

Jas82688 and Sunshine04 like this.
  3. Vaishnaviayyar1

Vaishnaviayyar1 Senior IL'ite

Dear OP,
    Some kids cannot swallow food unless its really soft.Try very soft foods instead.Like bread soaked in sugared milk,kichadi and dal rice with mushed rice with rasam.Foods that are really easy to swallow.Try soaking dosas in buttermilk.As a kid i could only eat soft watery foods,i used to feel i am choking and vomit every time i had anything like a dosa

Jas82688 likes this.
  4. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

I am sorry you are struggling with this, I thought I had the pickiest eater of the world.....At 4 yrs old, she is really underweight...I am wondering how her ped is OK with it.....firstly, make sure to get her iron / Hb tested....Iron deficiency can lead to loss of appetite....if that's so, then she can get started with iron supplements.....also at 4 , she can chew multivitamin tablets/gummy bears....vitamins deficiencies also reduce appetite....
    have you tried distracting her while eating so she eats something? as in watching tv/ipad....JUST FOR mealtime....am sure you must have tried all sorts of dishes, some kids have sweet tooth, some like salty....sweets- kheer/pudding/chilled fruit custards etc salty- pakodas, or you can make namakpareys at home (make it with wheat + lil maida mix, add salt and some spices, and fry them) as snacks....does she like anything? as a mom you may have idea that she likes what kind of stuff and make varieties around those meal ingredients...can she eat ice cream? you can add all sorts of fruits, add condensed milk + full cream milk, sugar and ilaichi etc and make home made ice cream (For her milk/calcium intake plus fruits will give her some vitamins)....how about juices?

take care, good luck!

Jas82688 likes this.
  5. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Thank you for your suggestions .. I tried bread soaking in milk + sugar not worked .. bread sandwiches no .. bread with jam no .. she won't eat mixed dal only plain dal once in a week .. she dint prefer even pongal

6. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Yes pediatric is ok bcoz she gained height so she was like growing but not gaining weight looks active ans all the questions ..her pediatric told me to give parata she eats half throws remaining .. teachers also told she don't eat anything at school Just watches other kids ..

We r veg but I cooked boiled egg scrambled egg omelet nothing ..

Thanks for mentioning iron .. we r giving her multivitamins n fiber but the prob is she likes them a lot n doesn't stop at 2 asks for more if we dint give throws objects ..

She likes ice cream but when ever she eats she gets cold n fever so we don't offer frequently .. she likes juices sure i.e. The only thing making her not faint .. yes she drinks 8 oz of juice but again pediatric is worried about her teeth ..

She demands iPad or phone during breakfast of dinner otherwise screams or jumps on floor blackmail .. we got noise complaints already .. so we r forced to offer it .. even though she won't eat but watches rhymes for atleast 3 hours ..

We both r working parents n am working like 24 hours either in kitchen or office ..I have another kid 3 mon old .. am getting bp also when she refuses to eat .. we r spending good price for her food wide verity all going to trash I mean suppose we bought a cake she tastes piece of it then throws remaining into trash ..

I need to ask for iron thing sure .. i have tried almost all last I did even poojas fastings also as I don't see any hope to make her eat .. now god only should help me to make this kid eat ..

7. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Her birth weight is 6 lb 11 oz which is normal she was fine until she started walking .. from then she was like this .. and from last two years I don't know how fast time went she is very adamant doesn't listen to anyone when it comes to food ..

I tried to scare her like teacher makes u sit alone or that fellow will take u to dog or u have to sleep alone or doctor gives u injection if u don't eat nothing works for her .. she was like ok then let's go ..

I don't know what to do completely frustrated stressed going into depression
    When I can't make my own daughter to eat food or listen to mommy how can I do the job perfectly with peace of mind ..it's effecting my health career n relationship as me n dh have fights due to not making her to eat n learn descipline ..

shifas likes this.
  8. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Don't get too disheartened and discouraged.

Try to make sure whatever she eats (like half a parantha), load it with ghee/something high in calories....can she eat room temperature ice cream (melted)? you can make fruit custards at home..Juice- make home made from different fruits like mix orange and grapefruit, strawberry and banana smoothie (you said she likes curd, add full cream curd and make a smoothie out of different fruits, grind almonds/pista/walnuts very fine and add to it.. and try those...sorry, if you haven't tried yet..I dont want to be someone who is preaching you while you are trying your best :)) google smoothie recipes (high calorie)
    ask teacher what other kids get for lunch..maybe she can have those for lunch and someday she may eat as others are eating as well....
    do get her iron tested, am sure that will help!
    oh please do take care of your health, our new babys health, somedays just give up...dont care what others say...
    Take care!

Jas82688 likes this.
  9. shifas

shifas Bronze IL'ite

Huggs to you OP. I can understand how it feels. did u try deworming medicine? What if she is not at all hungry because of that?
    what is it that she eats? She likes spicy tangy or sweet? If she likes juice try to give juice without adding sugar. Dont worry about tooth. Nothing will happen with juice. Added sugar is the problem.
    Here my daughter wont eat anything if dont tell her a story or let her watch cartoon. That too i have to feed her. But since i dont have a job and another kid i can comcentrate on her fulltime. Even then she is underweight.
    And so i can understand how you feeling.
    Tell me what she prefers. May be i can give my tips from that.
    As per her birthweight if she eats a litlle bit more she will weight just correct. Whenever we mom tell the doctors that the child is not eating they dont understand it bcs most of the moms complain even though their kids eat. That is why doctors talk like that.
    I think there must be something else which makes her feel full always. Just talk to your doctor about that.
    Dont stress out. You have another baby to take care of.

Jas82688 likes this.
  10. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

She is a thumb sucker I don't know does it have any thing to do with not eating properly and adamant behavior ..she feels sick very frequently fever or cold goes to a week .. I think it's due to thumb sucking only .. any one knows how to stop this habit ..

I tired to show her crossed teeth cavities picture to scare her looks like she Doesn't care ..