Wedding Gift Thank You Etiquette

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hmmm... that was my essential question - is this the new normal. I wonder ... I am thinking maybe it is the mixing of modern wedding (website, bride/groom mostly in charge of the wedding) with the traditional part - some guests are invited by the parents ... Maybe this left no one way of thank you?

But I have also read in Miss Manners columns about the thank-you's practice/habit disappearing.

SinghManisha likes this.
  2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I recently got to know that people give less money if it is a boy's wedding....meaning if you are invited by boy's parents.o_O

Rihana likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I once took a gift to the wedding ( not relative) and the couple gave that ' oh hell, where do we keep this :smirk:' look. It's always been money since then.

We also have combined family gifting and often hear mom say...' don't give anything,we already gave ' :)

Once I gifted my husband's cousin's wife earrings when they visited us( we could not attend their wedding ) and got a scolding from mil saying ' I already gave her too much,why did you give'.

There is a lot of hisaab kitaab of what they gave and what we gave in weddings.

Rihana likes this.