1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding and the Grandfather

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

As I wrote in my last blog, I went to Mumbai, to attend the wedding of harsha’s sisters son’s wedding. It was pretty good, the hosts wonderful, they forced harsha and sita to stay in the 5 star hotel, where all the functions were held, I declined, preferring to stay with my mom. Both the sides stayed in thye same hotel, and all the functions were held there, amid great gaiety.

The groom, that is harsha’s nephew, his grandfather is aged and not keeping well. He has the works, aged 90, so old age, with parkinsons, heart, diabeties, in short sick.He had 24 hour male nurses, his son and his family were with him all the time. During the wedding he was on wheelchair, and with great effort he attended it, and was cheerful, but by 10 pm, they had to take him to his room.

The wedding got over on the 5th of jan, and I came back. And the old man expired day before, that is the 14th, after having his breakfast, and telling his son, that now please let me go in peace, and as he lay down, his breathing became harder and within a few minutes he was gone.

The condolences being tomorrow, I am going back to Mumbai for a couple of days for that. Maybe today evening or tomm morning flight let me see.

The old man held on, till the wedding got over, he had expressed his desire to see his grand son’s wedding, and as soon as it got over, his desire too got over to live.

Just imagine if he had expired during the wedding, what would have happened ? all functions cancelled, so much expense already done, everything would have gone haywire. I guess he had great willpower to pull thru the functions.

This reminds me of an incident of jaipur a few years back, I don’t know if I have blogged about it or not, so forgive me if I repeat myself for it is of relevance here.

A very rich family was having a wedding in the family, the grandfather got sick and went into coma. They admitted him to hospital, and he was in the ICU. Well he died a day before the wedding, and there was chaos among the children. They requested the hospital to keep him there for a few days, and not to declare his death till the day after, but they were admanant, and the family had no choice to accept the body and the death certificate.

Now the children were on tenderhooks, for the marriage was in full swing, guests had come from all oer the world, money spent lavishly, and now all would go waste, and they were wondering what to do, as they brought the body out of the hospital in an ambulance.

Jiust then , a dear friend fo theirs had a brainwave. Right across was another private hospital, known for it s greed and unscrupulous ways. The friend ssuggested that they just admit the old man there, saying he is serious, and to give it a try, having no other choice they decided to take the chance.

The told the hospital the old man is sick, and the doctor in charge checked the patient and said he is very serious, and has to be admitted in the ICU, to which the family heaved a sigh of relief, and the doc gave them some 50,000 worth of medicines to bring immediately, which they did, and off they went for the wedding.

The next day and the day after again they kept asking for expensive injections, which were jappily bought , the wedding got over, and now the time came to claim the dead body , and they went to the hospital .

The doctors would not let them , saying the patient is on life support, and he will die if they remove it, they said fine, take him off, but the doctors refused for they were making good money off the patient, knowing he was dead, and wanted to pull on for a few more days, so they could milk the dependents.A hospital bed is l ike a hotel bed, if it goes empty it is a dead loss literally.

Now the family members had nothing to lose, they told the doctors in no uncertain terms they want to take the patient home, there was a tussle, and finally they went to see the hospital boss, who too was uncooperative.

Now they played their trunp card, and showed the owner the death certificate issued by the other hospital, and said , we will report this in the papers, that u are unscrupulous, and that u have taken medicines for a dead body, etc etc, and we will see that u are behind bars.

Well the owner got scared, and it seemed these guys had spent 5 lakhs on the medicines for the dead body, and a settlement was reached at around 15 lakhs or so, and the matter buried and forgotton.

So good the old man in our case pulled on thru his will power, and made sure everything went smooth, and when he felt the tike was right he let himself go to the other world.

God bless his soul.

KAMAL MAHTANI

Sex is the only game in this world, that is never abandoned due to bad light !!!

Steve jobs is now working with God to make an I Wife
    Slim design, beauty with brains, and most important, with a MUTE button
    Booking is already full till 2020 !!!

Teacher – Give me one example of a business closing down due to the carelessness of the owner ?
    Student - Maam, a pregnant prostitute !!!

Wife – Doctor, my husband talks in his sleep, please tell me what to do
    Doctor – All this will stop, if u kinly let him speak when he is awake !!!

It is time to celebrate and do something in the new year, and to take care of our health.
    Here are my suggestions.
    1) I will walk – to the PUB (exercise)
    2) Will put lime in my VODKA ( Vitamin C)
    3) Will have vegetables in my BLODDY MARY (VEGETABLES)
    4) Will drink on the patio ( Fresh Air)
    5) Will tell raunchy joikes and laugh ( release STRESS)and then I pass out (REST)

The way I see it , a shot in the glass is better than a shot in the ASS.
    Have a healthy 2012, I have already started, when will u start !!!!!!!

2 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,

Good to hear that the wedding went off well and grandpa's desire was also fulfilled. Like you said, thank God nothing happened during the wedding.

I am shocked out of my wits to hear about the tamasha done by the other hospital. How unscrupulous can medical professionals get?

Loved this one. Psychologically speaking it holds a lot of water. :)

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Got posted twice. Sorry.

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

your old man was a good old man kamalji..he fulfilled all his duties and desires passed away peacefully with peace for all around him too....
    though the other one might also have been a good old man :) he was unlucky..to me it sounded like some bad movie. really sad case but one would really not know what to do in such cases, isn't it?
    that's why I preach "pray for a peaceful death...death for you and peace for others, not the other way around, okay?... LOL.
    Good jokes:)

1 person likes this.
  5. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hello Kamalji..
    Sad to know that the Grandfather died but atleast he saw his last desire of getting grandson married...
    really confued about the other story.. you mean to say they kept a dead body in ICU for 3 days???.. didn't it start smelling.. and you tell me the family could rejoice knowing fully well that their father is dead???.. what kind of society pressures are these??.. I may sound very heartless but I strictly don't believe in this mourning period custom.. how can we say that after a few days the dead or the wound is healed and one can enjoy???.. specially incases like this everybody should accept that as much as they loved their father (old dead man) but and he deserves a decent funeral but as so much money is involved for the wedding that should go on also..
    Kerman

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Yes thank God all is well. i did not go today to mumbai as the sons told me, pls dont come, it is ok, mom and brothers went for the condolences today.

Well we must let the hubby speak , some hint for u Satchi ? HAHA. just joking.

Regards

kamal

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea r Mindi,

Yes he was a good man, he was very fond of me, though by relation i was far , that is his daughter in law is the sister of mywife, but we jelled well.

Yes the timing of one's death should be correct in this world eh ! HAHA

Regards

kamal

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kelly,

Yes his desire to see his grandson was fullfilled, as also he got to meet all his relatives .

Yes they kept the dead b ody, and made them spend lakhs for medicines.HAHA

Yes even i dont beleive in this, if a wedding is on, so be it, life and death is a part of life. yes it is a dicey situationj too, one does not know what is wrong or right in such circumstances.

Regards

kamal

9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

The first case...that of your nephew's grandfather is o.k....he saw his grandson's wedding and went away peacefully from this world.
    But the Jaipur case...I feel something is wrong somewhere, I am not sitting on a judgement chair of who is right or O.k. the doctors in the second hospital were greedy, squeezed money but the family is also not any more nobler. With a death certificate in hand, shifter the patient to another hospital, rejoicing the wedding, father in the mortuary. Doesn't a father deserve a better treatment than that? I feel it is not the right thing to do.

10. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,
    The two incidents you have quoted throw light on the life's different experiences.
    In the first case by God 's grace the grandfather breathed his last breath after the wedding.In the second case though it may look crude , they were forced to do that because of the financial, physical and mental tension everyone has to undergo.They might be doing the wedding with heavy heart who knows! But the doctors in the second hospital should be whipped for the greedines and for the nature of taking advantage of the critacal situation.
    But Kamalji, this incident brings to my memory the movie" Ramana' WHERE THE HERO WOULD USE THE DEAD BODY TO PROVE THE GREEDINESS OF THE HOSPITAL.
    with love
    pad