1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Weather in Phoenix AZ - Please guide..

Discussion in 'Indians in Phoenix' started by writeme, Jan 13, 2012.

1. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Hi ILs in Arizona,

I've heard that Phoenix is one of the hottest cities in US. Coz of this, my husband is thinking of declining a job offer as the job location is Phoenix AZ. I thought I'll take few suggestions from you ladies on how bad the weather is in summer. I read that there are on average 107 days a year the temperature goes beyond 100F (40C+). That is more than 3 months!!

I have a baby who is just 1 year old, so not sure how the weather will affect her. How do you manage during summers? Can we go out? I know winters are good, but how long does the winters last? Which are the hottest months there?

I see that the rent is low is Phoenix. But how much will be the average monthly utilities, especially power bill during summers? I guess that will be on the higher side.

Please post your suggestions.. That will surely help us take a decision!

Regards,
    Indu

2. Dolly_Lite

Dolly_Lite Bronze IL'ite

Hi Indu,

yes... phoenix has hottest summer. usually the temp starts to cool down from nov and stays pleasant till february. after that it is hot, hotter and hottest. We moved from NE during last winter here and we were like.. wow how pleasant. but when it was spring everywhere it was summer here... It will be hovering around 100 F most of the days in June,July,August and Sept with july and august being hottest months with 110 F to 120 F.
    The only way to manage it is start early and come late. ac's are must running 24 hrs so utility bills are higher on those months with $200 - $250 depending upon the apartment you choose.

I have a preschooler and we manage by staying inside most of the times. in NE we dread the winter months.. here summer months are horrible. But I do see bunch of kids playing after 8 p.m. during summers. but still we are adjusting. it all depends on how much our body adapts to it.
    Good luck

1 person likes this.
  3. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Thanks Dolly for the detailed reply :)