1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing Indian dresses in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Jul 9, 2008.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I am sure many of us have had this problem. We carry saris, especially wedding ones and eventually end up waiting and only waiting for an occasion to wear them here in US.

What has been your experience with sarees here ?
    I heard that Americans like sarees.
    But we don't want to end up looking odd one out of crowd..
    What do you all think about this ?

2. santasekar

santasekar Senior IL'ite

Hi Meenloch

I wear saree while going to Temple and in my house on some festival or special days .
    When i go to other places in saree only american kids look me up n down.

But otherwise i havent had any ban experience . I think there is nothing bad in wearing our traditional costume . I love to wear saree ..............

Regards
    Santasekar

3. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi meenalochani,

i too wear it while going to temples and for the ocassions. my friend used to wear even for the very small gettogether. also there is huge indian community here so we celebrate diwali and other functions so almost everyone wear saree for those celebrations.

abirami23 likes this.
  4. kalaisiva

kalaisiva Senior IL'ite

I do wear sarees when I am going temples and some special functions
    for the common party we specially wear sarees only even its an odd totothers we wanted to be so...
    this is our culture....they see us and surprised and asked us sarees i bought sum for american ladies so....

5. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I used to wear sarees, during our festivals (occasions) and when we are going out for some get-togethers. I saw many Americans admire the design and colour of the sarees. Till date, i haven't had any bad experience.

6. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Hi Meenloch and All,

Good Thread..You are right Meenloch.

Even i love wearing sarees...i wear them to temples mostly and to some Indian get togethers...I got married 22 months back but did not get many ocassions to wear a saree as we moved to the USA soon after our marriage.Yes many Americans like sarees.They obviously stare and i feel shy and also proud of being an Indian in such instances...Bowi think it entirely lies in our mindset ...if we are comfortable and can carry ourselves well in a saree...then gradually we may get used to it and may not feel as an odd one out even in USA.

These days am wondering whether wearing sarees will soon become a thing which is on verge of extinctionDrowning both in India and Abroad esp among the women who are in the age group of 20-30's.and may be even 40's now a days..what i realized is that Indian women who were born after 1975 started showing more interest towards wearing chudidars and later western wear for various reasons like comfort and convinience.

Now even in India i believe sarees are confined only for ocassions like marriages.I think the major culprit is the boom of the work sarees..which are extravagant most of the times and do not suit for casual ocassions.bonk

By the way am visiting India in August..and am from Hyderabad.I will be visiting Bengaluru too for a couple of days.It would be great if any one of you can suggest me some casual ,manageable varieties of sarees in both cotton and synthetic that i can bring to the USA and wear for casual ocassions.Am 27 years old.Bow

Thanks & Regards,
    ManuuRaghuu

7. vasantirao

vasantirao New IL'ite

Hi!
    I am a new member and was browsing and came upon this topic! very Interesting! Whenever I attended any Art exhibition or concert I always wore a sari.Of course to the temples etc it was the sari, but when it was any function with office or others Sari it was! I wear a lot of Polycot sarrees which I have picked up from Bangalore and Chennai. They are amazing! No starch no heavy zari and very ethnic! I buy thread work so it does not look garish.Easy to maintain just a little ironing. Silver jewelry with even those beads chunky ones go well! Gold! You will look like Mobile ThangaMalligai!!
    My Videsi friends love the Sari and I have even been asked to Model for an Art session!!

Bangalore you can buy in Safina Plaza there is one shop selling very ethnic sarrees, so also in Jayanagar 4th block Kanthi stores along the Bata shop/opposite dosa camp ..he has a whole lot of very nice sarees lined out. Very simple looking shop but good collection. In Chennai on Habbibulla Road almost nearing the Usman road there is a great Boutique.....Super sarees.

Vasanti

8. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I love wearing sarees. Infact it suits me a lot than other outfits. So i maximum try to wear saree. I have a good collection of sarees. But was not able to brin'em all here to US. Even after coming to US i wear them often while going to temple, shopping, to visit someone or if some guest come to our house.... If at all i go to some theme parks or rides i dont prefer it...other than that i am comfortable with sarees. Likewise i didnt bring all thos eheavy jari work sarees, all of them are sleeping in India. I have got only the mild casual wear and silk cotton kind stuff.

9. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Hi Vasanthi,

Welcome to Indusladies...and thanks a lot for giving details of saree shopping in Bengaluru...i will definetely try to check out polycot sarees.

Keep up with wearing those beautiful sarees in US...:wave

Regards,
    ManuuRaghuu

10. MrignayniBansal

MrignayniBansal Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

I also love sarees very much.But i got very little chance to wear it in US.Even americans appreciate sarees a lot.Lets start weariing saree daily.It is we women don't want to wear sareer.In India also nowadays nobody likes to wear sares due to many problems.But If you make habit of wearing sarees ,I am telling you no other dress suits you.

Nice thread,