Wearing a sari or a dhoti at home

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by femkatana93, Sep 23, 2015.

1. femkatana93

femkatana93 New IL'ite

Hi,
    I come here seeking advice.
    The thing is, I want to change my clothing preferences - especially what I wear at home.

I've considered lots of options - with comfort being my priority.

I once wore my father's dhoti at home - it felt very comfortable. I have also worn my mother's saree at home as well. Both cases, I was the only on in the house.

Now, I feel like wearing them at home all the time - infact, I wouldn't mind changing into a saree or a dhoti after I come home from college.

But, how do I convince my mother into letting me do this?
    Also, is it normal for girls my age to be wearing dhotis or saris at home?

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi

I don't think your mom should have problem about you wearing sari at home. Usually most of the mom's will be happy to see her daughter in this outfit. Ya dhoti she might feel a bit odd. But if you really wish to wear it and this is making you comfortable, convince your mom and I am sure she will understand.
    To tell you the truth I am never comfortable in both these to wear it at home and that to for the whole day. I will be always conscious when it is going to fall of me.:)

2 people like this.
  3. femkatana93

femkatana93 New IL'ite

My mother doesn't mind wearing dhotis at home herself occasionally. I have seen her wear a dhoti at home - all elaborate with one set of pleats tucked at the front and the other taken between the legs and tucked at the back... I wore it the same way once. There isn't a fear of the dhoti falling off...Otherwise, she is either in a mundu veshti or a sari at home.Should I come home from college and then change into a mundu veshti or a sari one fine day instead of wearing something else? Or should I talk to my mother about this before hand?

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

One day wear it and sit at home and see what your mom will comment on that. This is your choice no one can tell you what to wear and what not.
    So you decide and do what is comfortable and what makes you feel happy about it.

5. femkatana93

femkatana93 New IL'ite

I came home from college quite early yesterday and my mother was out shopping. I took a shower and then put on a sari and waited for my mother to come home. The doorbell rang and I opened the door for my mother.. Guess what.. She told me that it was quite surprising seeing me in a sari - that too for no occasion. She did ask why I had put on a sari.I told her later that I wanted to wear saris at home - she was quite surprised at what I said - but later she smiled and gladly said that I could.

1 person likes this.
  6. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

good then when ur mother doesnt have a problem and even u r comfortable so i dont think there is any problem now.
    like aruna maam said even i m very uncomfortable after wearing saree.. i wear that only to office and i cant do any house work with it. as soon as i reach home first thing is i change and get relax.gigglingsmiley