1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

We Indians are a noisy lot

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jan 14, 2014.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

My friend visited Tirumala temple with his five year old grandson from USA.This was the first visit of the boy to the temple.On entering the inner door of the temple there was a reverberating chant Govinda Govinda” .The little fellow asked his grandfather what was the noise about.Grandpa replied that people were praying.The boy replied that it was not praying but screaming.What is the reason for shouting.Explanations, valid or otherwise abound.One, that God responds to community prayer in unison.Second, that you outshout others so that God hears you.Third is that the noise shuts out any bad thought that comes to your mind in His presence.

It was a first class AC compartment in the Coimbatore Kurla Express.I had taken a berth, eventhough it was a day journey to enjoy quiet and peace.The gentleman occupying the opposite berth switched on his mobile and continued talking on his mobile for hours till the signal dropped at some place.From his loud converstion, much to my chagrin, I understood that he was the head of a private security organisation in Mumbai-Two fellows by name Misra and Dubey were to be sacked immediately-About sixty lakhs should be transferred immediately from X bank to Y bank-An appointment is to be fixed with the Head of Administraion of so and so company after forty eight hours etc etcWhile I turned in my berth.drank a glass of water,yawned loudly, he continued with his conversation-you can call it a tirade oblivious of my discomfort.When the signal dropped at someplace he pretended to notice me for the first time and smiled.I returned the courtesy by rolling on the side and showing my back.This reminds of a story-When a passenger alighted at his destination some one from the compartment called him and said”you have left something”What? asked the passenger.”Your rude behaviour” came the reply.

The scene now shifts to a flight from Hongkong to Singapore.It was an early morning flight which means most of the passengers had missed a good night’s sleep.For some strange reason I was upgraded to First class.I congratulated myself and looked forward to relaxing and enjoying my first experience of flying first class.A couple from palghat in their late thirties with their three year old son occupied the seats in the first row.The lady delegated the responsibility of taking care of the boy and dozed off immediately.Afterall the man has to repay for the pleasure of fathering the child.The boy was a bundle of energy.The father tried cajoling the boy with gifts ranging from chocolates to palaces while everyone else was wondering what was in store.Tell me your Appas name cooed the man..We understood that the fathers name was Balan.The boy volunteered mummys name as Vidya.We also relearnt some of the popular nursery rhymes even though in the process of prompting his son, the man only recited the nursery rhymes.When the man closed his eyes the boy started crying and refused to stop.This was the last straw on the camel’s back.A burly African passenger summoned the air hostess and said in a menacing voice “stop this nonsense or else I will silence this entire family in flat thirty seconds”The airhistess also felt that the threat would include her if she did not act promptly.She quietly moved the Palghat gentleman and his son to some unoccupied quarters in the back.In the current context Cellphone conversations after boarding the plane,before it takes off,after landing,after collecting baggage etc have become a nuisance.

Go to a vegetable vendor in the morning,a medical shop in the evening,a biiling counter in a departmental store in the first week of the month or a self seve eatery during peak hours, you will understand the need and power of musle power and decibel power.A visual and audio treat is the marriage hall where having blessed the newly married couple in a hurry, people enter the food section and vie with each other for transferring their favourite item to their leaves.

It is only when DILS discuss their MILS with their friends in a social gathering it is in whispers whereas when MILS discuss their DILS with their contemporaries the decibel level is high, may be to gain sympathy or with age hearing gets impaired.With over one billion people we I ndians are trained to out shout others to be heard.We like it that way.We justify that we are a vibrant nation n with a a lively atmosphere.When we go to a monastery or any such place we say it is too quiet for our comfort.As the saying goes”- the English may not like music but they absolutely love the noise it makes”.

2. aashuabhi

aashuabhi Gold IL'ite

Very beautifully written. I really wonder when I see kids around in US. They don't cry at all. Even dogs never bark. May be it is inherited in them :lol:

9 people like this.
  3. kalaamitra

kalaamitra New IL'ite

Very well written!!Especially train journey!!
    I have a personal experience in train too...that was when I was young,we three girls went to next state by train and were talking (two of us in one upper berth and another one in side upper berth)..talking....and :roll:.........:exactly:talking until midnight..discussing office events,mimicking our:twisted: boss,laughing,giggling and suddenly noticed a male voice laughing with us...we turned to get shocked as we saw the next upper berth person conveniently lying down facing us and listening to all our stories with his hands on cheeks...:biglaugh:bonk....

mitra

7 people like this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Nicely written. I saw it happening at Wimbledon. On some of the side courts when early matches were going on, there are just 4 or 5 rows for spectators and the spectators are super close to the players. And in one such court, everyone is silent without distracting the players while an indian idiot in his 20s answers his phone and starts chatting loudly to everyone's chagrin! Then another group of Indians talk loudly near a court which makes the umpire request silence looking directly at them. Couldn't help but wonder if such rudeness and in inconsideration were an unfortunate national trait...

2 people like this.
  5. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Now that was a fun/pleasant read.
    We are not just noisy but also a very nosy lot :)

5 people like this.
  6. swaram2576

swaram2576 Bronze IL'ite

nicely written....! Especially Indian Kids are so energetic, happy, loud, hyper active, that's how I would put it.....

2 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear LN Sir,

Very nicely written snippet. We are from a country that taught us "Silence is golden and is the language of the Lord" We have a sanctuary in the form of Himalayas for those around the world who seek silence and peace in the natural surroundings. Speaking softly and sweetly is the culture we had in India for many generations. Over a period of time, we have become a noisy country. Some of us take a lot of pride in speaking loud in public places. Vehicles honk all the time in the absence of regulated traffic. Children are becoming hyper active with parents losing the tricks of silencing the children. Cell phones are everywhere and people keep communicating for no reason. The factories make a lot of sound pollution. Until such time, we understand the value of clean noiseless surrounding, this might continue. High decibel levels are no longer considered as nuisance.

The attitude of raising voice to draw attention needs to stop. In fact, those who spoke feeble are heard intensely and this is the technique most management experts advice to follow in official settings. Actually, we don't even have the discipline of not talking when someone else is talking. I am hoping and praying someday we will get back to the roots of our culture and learn all those disciplines.

Several centuries back, India laid the path for development of civilizations. I wish we could go back to those golden days when the whole world was looking at India with open mouth. We need to understand a lot of things we did right besides spirituality.

Viswa

5 people like this.
  8. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

It is a coincidence that yesterday my American colleague mentioned that we Indians are way too quite when we use our phones. We have 3 Indians in our team and she said she observed all 3 of us talking over phone and she has never been able to hear a thing. She actually said may be this is an Indian thing :D
    May be that's one good outcome of getting AMERICANIZED :)

9. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

The worst possible thing that can happen on a train journey is when you get your berth amidst the college/school students.

2 people like this.
  10. jasmine25

jasmine25 Gold IL'ite

Very well written..I really enjoyed the train journey part..many have experienced :bonk