1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

We don’t grow when things are easy, we grow when we face challenges.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Oct 6, 2014.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Its always nice to face challenges in life by which we feel happy when we have achieved something. I have sailed through life's journey with ups and downs and completed 71 years. I myself cant imagine how I have reached this stage. When we are children we depend on our parents as we are kids and do not know anything about life but when we are parents we depend on our children because of our health conditions. But now things have changed now a days children are very smart and whenthey are two years only they know everything and they teach the elders due to the modern technology. Now a days since most of the children are abroad the parents cant depend on them and have to take care of themselves because of which we get a chance to learn everything.

Being a working woman I had the opportunity to learn everything including computer which is a boon for me. In our times we had a time for office but now a days children lead a hectic life , their going time might be fixed but their coming time is not fixed. Also due to some problems in India they take a job abroad because of which they miss their parents and the parents miss their children. Being busy children dont miss their parents but parents miss them.

During my journey of working life I had the opportunity to make so manay friends and also I had so many bosses and most of them young bosses who used to respect me for my age but being in office everyone used to call me Viji only. Once a friend of mine who was Manager in our Accounts Department took me to her house and when her mil saw me she was saying , she is my age and how is that you call her by name but in an office we call by names only and not aunty or uncle. Like in IL in my office also everyone used to like me and one of my boss had written in my autograph, most liked by all and ever smiling.

I used to take breakfast and lunch to office as I had to leave early. When I used to have breakfast someone or other used to join me and we used to exchange our breakfast. I was permanent in the breakfast table but my partners used to change as many of them left the Company and I worked for 36 years in the same company. Our office was like a home , we all celebrating birthdays and functions.Me and another friend of mine used to like to wear nice sarees on festival days and our Director who was a lady used to say if you want to know whether it is a function you can make out from these two ladies. Sometimes she used to tell us remind me also in advance so that I will also come in my best saree, saying being busy I forget. Those working days were memorable days and now I miss them.

In this lovely site also I have completed 7 years and I do not know how seven years passed. Every year I learnt something or other from the ILites here and from Viji rose to Vijima and have so many virtual daughters here. After my cataract operation last year my eye became bright and everythign was looking bright and beautiful, so started doing jewellery etc with the inspiration of ILites here. Here also I am still there and so many of my friends have left this site and only their memories are there. However busy I am or even if I go on a holiday I dont like to miss logging in here because I am addicted to this site.

“Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, or worn. It is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace & gratitude.” - Denis Waitley

14 people like this.

2. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Dear Vijima,

You worked in the same office for 36 years?! Wow!
    I can imagine how difficult you must have felt being at home after 36 years!

Keep up your spirit in learning new skill.! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. kalpavriksham

kalpavriksham Gold IL'ite

very true amma, your title.
    when things are easy, we take them for granted
    something gets wrong, then we get a wake-up call.

very nicely written. appadiye pakkaththathula, coffee kudichindae, (sooda oru bonda irundha kekkavae venam) pesindu irundha madhiri irundhadhu.

yes very true, IL is a tonic for all its members
    i am a very late entry ti IL, but still i feel i know you all for so many years of time

that is the power of ILities

remain like this HAPPY forever amma. this is all our sincere wish and prayer.

good souls should not suffer of/from anything

Pranams to you both

1 person likes this.
  4. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vijima,

36 years in the same office??? wow what an achievement. I really admire your enthusiasm in learning new things and w/o fail you post on IL. Congrats on completing 7 years on IL. We have learnt a lot from you on regular basis.

Thanks for being our Vijima

1 person likes this.
  5. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Very very true VijiMaa....the title and the lovely words in the post too.

Every word in your writing takes me through a journey wherein I understand and accept a new concept in life. Your consistency at work and the patience and dedication working at the same office for 36 years that is a WOW!!! These days youngsters do not have any stability and start feeling stagnated. Hence they just jump jobs and they feel so insecure.

Glad to have found you VijiMaa....you guide me like my Mom and continue to show us that beauty and joy of life is in all the small things around us which we many times just ignore. Thanks for your wonderful post...it really made my Monday brighter!

1 person likes this.
  6. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Vijima,

Wish you many more years in IL...as always it was a pleasure reading your post...take care...

1 person likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,
    you brought back lunch room memories of office life. I worked in the same building for nearly 39 years from 1963 to 2002.
    It was a rewarding experience. There were nearly 4000 people ,350 of them were women.In Madras during those days, women used to come to office only in sarees. Adi and Thai Fridays, and all the festivals, the office will wear a festive look. Very rarely some women used to come in madisar.
    There were some 15 men that used to wear only pancha kachcham to office.
    From 12.30 to 2.30 lunch room would be crowded .During Deepavali season there would be talks about textiles, bakshanams etc. We have learnt a lot, a lot and a lot. Whether there is some health problem, school admission, hospitalisation,, alliance, opinion on astrology, some legal issues, I. T. problems, marital disharmony, maternity problems, adoption issues- for all issues we will have solution from some one among 5000.
    We have arranged so many marriages.
    We have amicably settled so many problems, helped many during distress, have given counselling to many.
    Two incidents are unforgettable.A girl's wedding was to take place. Just 2 days back we had authentic information that the boy is already married and not divorced.
    Notwithstanding final arrangements, we as a team sought police protection reached the hall during Janavasam and stopped the marriage. Though there was a financial loss, the girl's life was saved. The girl's parents profusely thanked us.
    Another incident, a young girl working in our office lost her husband in an aircrash.She had one year old son.
    Another woman friend of ours lost her life in a motor bike accident of clash with water tanker lorry. She had a three year old daughter.
    After 2 or three months we approached the husband of the girl, who was struggling to take care of his daughter.We had so many rounds of talks with elders and arranged the marriage of the two, who had lost their partners.
    The marriage was arranged by us in a school hall.Not much rituals. Only saptapathi was there. The Registrar came to the hall to register the wedding. Only 25 of us attended. When I presented our friend with a silver kumkum chimizh and placed kunkum on her forehead, she and her parents became highly emotional.The couple are now above 50 and lead a happy, harmonious life with their two children.
    Many of us who looked traditional in appearance and dress had much forward thinking and were able to solve many a problem.We had different wings medical, educational, matrimony and legal represented by experienced people.There was a single window clearance to many of our issues.
    Office was a temple of solace.

Jayasala 42

5 people like this.
  8. kaviviru

kaviviru Senior IL'ite

Hi Vijima,

Hats off to you ... for working for 36 years in the same company .... after reading your article, I curse my self now for quitting the hefty paying job just because I was fed up with the office politics .... I think even you would have faced this problem .... can u plss tell me how did u handle this office issues ....

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Meril dear thanks for your first like and feedback which made my day. I could not reply earlier as I was replying to other threads which were held up due to Navratri celebrations.

Yes dear I also could not imagine now how I worked fo r36 years continuously. I twas difficult but with the support of my parents and siblings before marriage and of my husbandand chidlren after marriage I was able to manage. Thanks dear for your good wishes

10. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear vijimam,
    Your post made such good reading like always.- So straight from the heart. No wonder everyone loves your posts and experiences. Although i'm myself 60, and voluntarily retired after 30 years of service, your experiences in office and also Jayasala's experiences so beautifully brought out, seem to be from another era!
    congrats for the 7 long years in IL also, with such enthusiasm.

1 person likes this.