1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Way to increase milk supply

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by seetha, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seetha

seetha New IL'ite

insufficient milk,low weight

hello ladies
    my baby is 2 months old.her weight is 4.1kg. her birth weight is 2.8kg.she is very active.she laugh ver well.
    last time i went for check up.doctor told that she is underweight.i feel so worried.i think i am not having sufficient milk.she used to sleep on whole day and not drinking milk.she not used to sleep on nights.so i also not have sleep on whole night.during day time i am having work in home.doctor told that u should have proper sleep then only u have sufficient milk. now i need suggestions on
    1.wht is the way to increase my baby weight:confused:
    2.wht foods should i take to increase milk:confused:
    3.wht is the way to make her to sleep on nights:confused:
    and one more thing she used to suck her finger.how to change that habit?

Thanks and regards
    Seetha

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006

2. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Dear Seetha!

My daughter(now 21 months), was 2.7 kgs when she was born. SHe put 1 kg per month upto 6-7 months. End of two months she was 4.7 kgs.Your daughter is 4.1, not very less, but she can put on more. My doctor suggested the foll for me for breast feed :

1) fry lots of Garlic and small onions in ghee and have it everyday with rice, maybe as a starter to your meal everyday.If you have it once a day it is enough.

2) In India, we get Mothers Horlicks, which consists of dry fruits etc,i used to keep drinking that 2-3 times a day

3) Soak some almonds(5-6) every night in warm water and have it the first thing in the morning.

You will see drastic changes believe me. ALso your doctor is right in saying u do need plenty of rest.Even my daughter used to wake up in the nights and sleep during the day. The best suggestion would be try to sleep when ur daughter sleeps, at least close ur eyes, lie down and take rest DOnt read or work to much.All this will automatically help the restoration of milk.

Please take care , there nothing like breastfeeding a baby! all the best and congrats on ur delivery!

Purnima
    (Ps- one more thing, dont keep worrying when people say shes small, underweight etc. Small made babies are more intelligent and active. Pls keep that in mind)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
    lazy likes this.
  3. seetha

seetha New IL'ite

Thanks

hi purnima
    thanks a lot.i surely try those things.soon i will reply u soon abt the changes.how is ur baby.wht is the name of ur baby? hope ur suggestions will helpful to me a lot.keep in touch.thank u once again.

thanks and regards
    seetha.

4. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

don't worry!!

hi Seetha,

A baby should be roughly double its birth weight in 3 months and in six months add half the weight of what they were at 3 months. i.e if the babt was 3 kg at birth, should be 6 Kg in 3 months and 9 kg in 6 months. This is ab approximation. And your baby is good to go. Not sure why your doctor said that! Average birth wt. is 2.5 to 3.5 kg. My son was 2.7 kg when he was born. He is a healthy 15 yr old now. Touch wood!

The funny thing abt breast milk is you don't know how much the baby is drinking. Why do you say you don't have enough milk? Is the baby trying to hard tp suckle and crying? Don't worry! You can give her baby formula. Now your baby 2 months old, she knows the taste of mother's milk. she will not stop nursing from you. But do not over-feed the baby!

Food wise... veggies eat garlic and peanuts..( beware !! sometimes peanuts do not agree with the baby. ) Non-veggies take fish especially 'palsara', vanjaram. And take as much milk as you can.

hot baths activates the lactation. Try to relax as much as you can. Remember the formula, " when baby sleeps, mother sleeps". Don't bother abt anything or anyone.

Babies are active during their birth time and sleep after they are born. they just continue the same schedule. don't play with her duiring the night even if she is awake. . just keep a bedlamp. No bright lights. If she cries, check if she is hungry or needs anything.. put her right back into bed. Sounds harsh but she wll learn soon. Babies are very smart. They have to learn the ways of life.

hope this helps. God bless! :clap

Sharada

5. seetha

seetha New IL'ite

thanks

hi sharada

Thank you very much for your response. All suggestions are valuable for me. I'll defenitly try your suggestion.Once again thank you very much.

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Check this thread on breast milk supply

Hi,

Hope you had a chance to look at this thread about increasing breast milk supply. It was discussed sometime back and here is the link for the thread - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2733

Good luck with parenting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.