1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Waves

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Jun 18, 2017.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

The Arabian Sea is not very far from our place. We like sitting on the beach and watching children and adults enjoying themselves. There is something humbling to watch all that water. It is as if the water stretches to infinity. We enjoy watching the sun set and disappear from sight. There is something very nice watching the sea and the waves and the setting sun.
    I am reading ‘The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying’ by Sogyal Rinpoche. It is very good and I can relate to so much that the author writes. I liked what he has written about waves and I would like to share it. :)

Sogyal Rinpoche writes, “Think of a wave in the sea. Seen in one way, it seems to have a distinct identity, an end and a beginning, a birth and a death. Seen in another way, the wave itself doesn’t really exist but is just the behaviour of water, “empty” of any separate identity but “full” of water. So when you really think about the wave, you come to realize that it is something made temporarily possible by wind and water, and that it is dependent on a set of constantly changing circumstances. You also realize that every wave is related to every other wave.”

Malpe 9thMay (12).JPG

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi
    A lovely topic. Is there anyone who can resist the fascinating waves? I love watching it in Kanyakumari at the congregation of the three seas. In Chennai, the beach has become dirty compared to what it used to be some five to six decades back. It used to be quite high ranking among the world's beaches. When I sit and watch the waves in Bay of Bengal at Sunrise I used to wonder how it will be when the planet starts revolving on the reverse direction.We'll start watching Sunset in Chennai! If Sunrise fascinates us in one way, Sunset fascinates us in another way.
    Sri

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi,
    The rising and falling of the waves is a fantastic experience to watch. Also the Sun rise , Sunset and the Moon rise are beautiful to watch from the sea shore.
    We Chennites are proud of our Marina beach.
    Chennai’s Marina Beach happens to be India’s longest and world’s second longest beach. Stretching approximately 12 km, this beach is primarily sandy and is located on the eastern side of Chennai, adjoining the Bay of Bengal. Watching the sunset and sunrise from the beach is an enthralling experience. Though bathing and swimming can be dangerous, as the undercurrent is quite strong. The main attraction is the horseback rides which has become a favourite activity among both adults and kids.

Some of the prominent buildings of Chennai are located on the beach drive namely: University of Madras,Chepauk palace, Senate House, Presidency college and Ice House.

PS

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    sindmani and LakshmiKMBhat like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Such a wonderful word picture. I can't think of anything more peaceful than sitting on the beach and listening to the sounds of the waves and the birds. Just watching the endless expanse of water stretching into the horizon gives one a sense of the Infinite and Eternity. This immense feeling of peace is tempered only by the awe at the thought of the depths of the ocean and fear of the fury of the waves. What could be more pleasurable than walking in the shallow water along the entire length of the beach and feeling the sand slipping under the feet? Oh, I so want to be by the seaside this very moment! Beautiful photograph. Sharing one of mine too. :)

Sunset - Miramar beach - 21 January 2015 - IL.jpg

sindmani and LakshmiKMBhat like this.
  5. LakshmiKMBhat

What you have said is so true and thank you for sharing a lovely photo :) Lakshmi

satchitananda likes this.
  6. LakshmiKMBhat

Sunrise and sunset are fascinating to watch, beginning and end :) Regards, Lakshmi

satchitananda likes this.
  7. LakshmiKMBhat

Yes, we love watching the waves. Till a few years ago we used to come to Chennai to my husband's uncle's place in Kilauk, near Pachaiyappa's college. Going to the beach was a favourite outing. My husband used to walk to the beach early in the morning to see the sunrise:) and took a bus back. Regards, Lakshmi

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Lakshmi:

When I see the waves raising and falling back into the sea, it gives me the same impression how thoughts arise in our mind and disappear without a trace when we are occupied with something else. As only the Ocean is real and the waves appearing and disappearing without a trace, only the Soul is real and all thoughts arising and disappearing are transient. There are no waves in the deep Ocean and similarly if we delve deep into the Soul, there are no thoughts.

Viswa

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  10. LakshmiKMBhat

Viswa Sir, very, very true. Thank you for sharing your views. Regards, Lakshmi