1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

water water

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sathya, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sathya
    A decade back the ace writer and dramatist, Komal Swaminathan produced a classic play called Thanneer, Thanner. It was a heart wrenching story of a waterless village in Ramnad and the travails of people there. I felt very guilty after seeing it and I should say that I became a little careful about water usage since then. I have heard that in some chettinad families, as a part of bride seeing ceremony, the bride used to be keenly observed about how she used the water, the reasoning being that if she was careful about the water, she could be relied upon to manage the family smoothly.
    I fully agree with you that we have a tendency to be careless about whatever we have in excess! This includes love too!
    A great, thought provoking article from you.
    Sri

2. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sri

that was nice of you to reply
    thanni enrathum
    chennai vaasi enrathaal
    thanni thedi vantheero?

reg chettinad
    they have so many plus
    regarding water
    the way they store
    the way they use
    etc...

mazhai varuthu
    mazhai varuthu
    neer kondu vaa
    karu mega vaanangale...
    endruthaan paada vendum

sathya

3. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hello Sathya Ma'am,
    Got to read your post after a long time. yet another good one.
    Thank you for waking up my conscience......because sometimes I keep the taps open for almost 30 minutes continously while washing my utensils because I was being lazy enough to open the hot/cold water and adjust it as per my senses.........
    I will try not doing this........thank you..............
    But I think maintaining hygiene is most important, even at the cost of water.....
    In India the toilets stinks.....and if you use public toilet, I am sure u r going to be victimised with UTI bacteria........but in western countries, this kind of infection is rare.......
    So, we should judge where to use the water and where not to.
    Like watering the plants/lawns can be done with the water outlet from washing machine or water you used in the kitchen to wash vegies/rice etc.......
    Thank you and regards.

4. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello meeta

ya we do waste water in a whole lot of other areas. many people brush their teeth while the water goes down the washbasin. i also had this practice ..wonder what is the logic behind this. but now i have become very concious and take a mug of water to brush then come again if i want more. this way i consume less water...?
    public toilets ugh..? sure stinks but it can be maintained with less water. what i meant was whether u urinate or evacuate you flush a certain amount of water down the drain. that does not mean the toilet will not stink .. it still does if you dont clean the floor...! toilet tanks do have options to drain just half these days but who cares..?
    actually we havent gone to the core of not being able to store water. metros are full of concrete structures and whatever little space is left at home we fill it up with concrete or tiles or whatever so that there is no dirty mud? all over the place. we want it clean whatever that means minus water..
    so the water does not get into the soil at all places and try to run to the lowest possible area but we have every right to go digging for water as borewells..
    it is just that we have to find more ways to save water for future

sathya