1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

water water

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sathya, Aug 22, 2007.

1. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

water water everywhere and not a drop for the future?

in the olden days the train travel was full of people who got down at stations to get that jug, surai or bottle filled up in a hurry , and quite a few either didnt get the water or returned to running trains, only to be left behind .

some businessmen were kind enough to have water in pots at stations and sometimes they personally filled up the bottles to the delight and relief of passengers. The entire scenario has now changed. almost anyone who can afford, board the train with a `bottle' of branded water. Many ladies at home will tell you that menfolk refuse to take a bottle of water from home. The bottles have replaced the jugs and cans that were a pain to carry around and forgetting them aboard trains was quite common in those days.
    nowadays the trains sell water bottles on board the train too.
    and after a sip or two (very few empty the bottle or take it home.) leave it in the train. some boys do pick it up to fill water or sell it for reuse.

when more water is available do we have a tendency to waste.? i wonder if anyone has thought about on these lines.
    the restaurants is another place where we seem to waste it...people buy water bottles inspite of being supplied with water from the restaurant thats fine what with the thinking that diseases are water borne, but they walk away after eating their lunch or brunch with just a sip or two from the bottle. they will not take the water bottle with them.. not unless they are cost concious and that is becoming a rarity. the bottle costs just a tenner you know..!

the western type of toilet next. we spend huge quantity of water on flushing it clean and keeping it tidy. it consumes five times or more.!

if we can afford a lawn at home..more water there too.. and sometimes it is the metro water and not borewell. there is so much to spare so why not water the lawn?

then there is the drip drip drip taps, the overnight filling tanks. and metro water for reason best known to them will `come' only at night around two a.m. so leave the taps open to the tank and if there is an excess of water it may overflow but why take a risk?

move over to agriculture and there is wasting there too...the pumps keep pumping water .the water gushes out to the fields and there is no one to monitor how much or how long the water/power is being wasted?

there is a hue and cry over cauvery ,krishna and more and more rivers but have we ever made a sincere effort to clean up tanks , dig ponds free of floating weeds and garbage. the water that gushes either from the heavy rain or when a river overflows can be stored in small ponds dug up along the river? the rains are here and we have very little ponds lakes or sumps to store except for the ones that get filled up along the way.

simply because one can get `enough' or `more' water can we afford to waste?
    lest it be `water water everywhere but not a drop for the future'?

sathya

2. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hello Sathya,

I know....people tend to waste water in a criminal manner these days... I do miss the good old days when we used to fill huge thermos flask with icebubes and fill with water before a long journey! But the again who goes on long trips by road these days????

I have written something on water... I'll post it in a couple of days!
    Reagrds.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hey sathya,
    this is a good one for hindu, post it there bangalore needs to be awaked by daily repeating what we say...nice write up..sk

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sathyaji,

How true.How much water we waste these days.And yes the restaurant ordinary water is goodwe used to drink it before,didnt we? And we never fell sick.

And now we waste money and water by drinking bottle water, when ordinary water will do.Same at the Railway stations, where tap water is so good.I still drink Tap water at Stations.What is good for others is good for me.

Thanks for a wonderful writeup, which opens everyone's eyes, to these problems.God bless you and keep writing.I am a fan of yours.Regards.kamal

5. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi Sathya,

I think water is going to become the liquid gold of this century. Having lived in the perennially water starved city of Chennai, I tend not to waste water.

6. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello twins m

waiting for the write up
    who cares about drip drip
    drip
    so long as we have
    hoses gushing water?
    thanks (gurgles drips and rains...!)

sathya

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello akka

i thought i said
    it was posted
    on a return trip
    from hindu open page...
    (must have been difficult
    for reporters/journalists
    who are with a bottle of water
    writing?
    do you think they will stop
    by to stop that dripping tap?
    they just might click
    and get away...!
    never mind
    we always have
    an open page here
    in il
    ...............!

sathya

8. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello kamalji

you will please
    call me sathya
    ji makes me older?
    but it doesnt make you older
    cause thats a respect for kamal...!
    anyway thanks for your
    railway water tap drinking reply..!

sometime back i was coming back from mysore to land in bangalore rly station. this platform was way back and not the crowded first one.. and voila there sure was a tap and it was not dry.. i said wait i m all thirsty..i had a bottle of water in hand...no way ...drinking from a tap is bliss.. so ran had a mouth full no a stomach full..and my day was made..
    no i dont bother about water from taps in trains platforms or hose in a garden...my athim or jijaji...sunkans husband used to drink it from the train and used to say he never got a fever cold or cough...!
    no use going over lost water pots...the bottle sure is here.. to stay..

will write more on water...

sathya

9. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello nivedi

ya sure is liquid gold
    but we indians are sure
    only after yellow gold

they say the third world war
    will be over water...!
    aqua war for sure...
    so if we are not careful

we may be fighting for water...!

sathya

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Satya

Is that Ok? Yes i agree that drinking normal tap water or railway tap water is fine.We all used to drink it at ome time and we did not ever fall ill ever.These are just fads,to take out money from our pocket,and we fall for it like suckers.

Thanks and regards.kamal