1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Was Lakshmi A Fool? I don’t Think So

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jul 30, 2005.

1. ambika ananth

ambika ananth Bronze IL'ite

Hi SridharIndus lady's reply endorses what I said earlier- the existence of emanicipated women long back as also now. The main question had taken so many twists and turns but still remains unanswered.
    I never felt that Lakshmi is an idiot, infact with her understanding of her own needs and adding them to her priority list makes her an ultra modern woman, who is not afraid to voice her opinion and who has decided the course of her life within the frame work of morality and social norms. There are many women who live subdued dissatisfied and frustrated lives, afraid to recognize their own needs. Lakshmi is defiinitely not an idiot or a dullard, but needed support and understanding to hone her abilities fully, which was denied to her for various reasons, most possible one being- a woman when branded as a dullard, remains one as she may never try to prove otherwise. But her latent strength came out openly when she was questioned and she very well could get away by counter questioning the society....
    I am really admiring Lakshmi's strength to make an open declaration about her physical needs..she is a woman of some great substance and courage..not at all an idiot...
    ambika

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks For Beautifully Coming Around

Hi Ambika,
    with your latest reply you have beautifully come around to say that Lakshmi was a very intelligent, emancipated woman. She is not a fool. That's what the heading of the snippet says.
    I am very pleased with your arguments and reasoning. good work, ambika.
    sridhar

3. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

Sad but true

Lakshmi's story is sad but true. Women's biological needs are usually suppressed. And in Lakshmi's case she was treated either with pity or condescension by the people around her because of her low IQ. Still at some level she wanted intimacy and knew that only her husband could provide her that. This story reiterates the fact that it's still a man's world. In all strata of society it is accepted that men will sow their wild oats and women have to be docile and adjust! He can have sleeping partners, but she has to be faithful - one wrong move and society will label her a slut.
    Sharada Prahladrao,
    Bangalore

4. varalotti

A Nice Reply

Dear Sharadha,
    those were sad but poignant words. Yes it's still a man's world. Until our society comes around and starts to view single women with respect rather than disgust, Lakshmis will have to succumb to their con-men husbands even for their basic needs. Yes Lakshmi could have said sex or no sex, I don't want to live with you. But she couldn't. Because she did not have much of a choice on that. Being a dull person she was totally honest with herself in accepting that only for her biological needs she did tolerate her errant husband.
    thanks for the reply.
    sridhar

5. simi

simi Junior IL'ite

How can Lakshmi be a fool?

There are many men gifted with wonderful wife (both inner and outer beauty), but still go in search of other woman to satisfy their physical needs.

What do we call them, if Lakshmi is to be called a fool?

Inspite of knowing about her husband, I would say Lakshmi still had some hopes on him and hence had biological connections. Lakshmi also doesn't seem to be of the type to protest to make a new life for herself, so what nothing else she could have done for her needs. Poor female!

6. varalotti

Please Read The Other Lakshmi Snippet

Dear Simi,
    thanks for the reply on the Lakshmi Snippet. Please also read the other snippet I have posted on a different Lakshmi. The story is completely different there. Let me have your views on that also.
    regards,
    varalotti
    sridhar

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

Superb really.Yes she was very intelligent.what she said makes sense.Agreed.

You know i just tghought it was one page of Chitvish, and today i scrolled down, and u have written so many blogs, wow now i have a treasure to read,Dear friend.

One Varlotti a Day
    Keeps Depression Away

Superb.Regards.kamal

8. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

No, surely no. She was no fool. She was just honest. She had the honesty to admit that she had natural cravings like anyone else. There is no doubt that this is a tragic story. I can extend it further. Her husband could not have been too clean a person. During his escapades, he could well have been visiting red light areas. He could be carrying a disease. And, as I see it, sooner or later, Lakshmi would be a victim of the same disease. That would be the greatest tragedy in an honest woman's life. It is a moving story of an unlucky woman. But she was no fool at all. I feel for her from the depth of my heart.

9. varalotti

Dear Kamla,
    I will have to rephrase what you have written
    One Kamal-fb a day
    Makes you happy all the way.
    How is it?
    And to day I have a dozen and added to that, there is a fp nomination too.

This Lakshmi series (there are ashtalakshmis) appeared when there were hardly a hundred people in IL. I am thrilled to see that you like it.
    thanks a lot, Kamal.
    love,
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Thanks Ojaantrik. Your feelings for Lakshmi is so strong that I can almost touch it. Yes, you are right. She is not a fool. Even in that depraved circumstances she chose the path of virtue and morality. And I am really moved by the concern you have for Lakshmi.
    Your heart is made of 24 carat gold, Ojaantrik.
    thanks for the fb.
    love,
    sridhar