1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Warding Off The Evil Eye

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Never thought of dhristi in this way. But yes, like th black hole absorbs anything near it, even light and energy, same way we can put black dot on baby cheeks.
    Black color does absorb more heat from sunrays than a white garmet.
    Interesting!
    I do believe that everything in this world, is energy or exchange of energy.
    When we talk, sound waves or energy travel and the listener receives it my movement of ear drums.
    Scientists have found cells in eye that receives sun light or rnergy and makes us feel good.
    Same way, some people have positive auora and some have negative.
    Every culture has something equivalent to dhristi, so let’s not worry what frech will say. Any old culture has it. May be before they started the designing of Rafael, they consulted their dead granma’s aunt, who is still living and expert on ‘how to stay thin’ as well as on how to remove evil eye from upcoming defense projects. Who knows, she might be consultant with french defense.

Balajee and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@Balajee thank you Like clock struck 4500 with your clicking Like of my post IL HALL OF FAME .
    2. BLACK OR WHITE one would like both depending on business. In writing it is black & white in the days of yore we liked black & white movies. Stition or superstition it pays for some.
    3. It is even livelyhood for some. On stone deities ghee, edible oil, rose water, panjamritham, milk etc are poured. The sellers of these items get their bread and butter.
    4. Wrong or right certain notions some beliefs some get their life managed with earnings through selling copper plates engraved with manthiram thanthiram etc.
    thanks and Regards.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I notice the Minister was able to put "Aum" symbol in the body of the plane. If the planes were to be delivered in March of next year, for which plane they performed all the rituals for evil eye?

They could have a big Thirsti Doll hanging on the neck of the plane while the planes are used. Only thing the government needs to make sure is there are no marks in the windshield of the plane obstructing the clear vision of the pilots.

You drove your car with Vermilion Swastika symbol to the German company? Deep south in India, there used to be a strong following for the strongman of Germany in the earlier days. I believe many of RSS principles were built on Nazi's.

Balajee likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I don't know about others Jayasala ma'am but frankly I feel that such dots won't bring down one's pride in one's achievement or possession. We don't just put dots on cute kids , but also rotate red chillies in front of a n object of affection and hang lemon and green chillies outside homes and shops to ward off evil eye. That looks like mere superstition to me. As for lemon under the wheels I am reminded of a line by Comedian Vivek in a Tamil movie whe he sees lemons being put under the wheels of a truck:"Adappavi! 800 parts ala odadha vandi oru elumichcham pazhaththalaya odappoguthu" (A truck that can't run with 800 parts, will it run because of a lemon?)

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

No matter how much it is justified, the concept of thrishti is rather a difficult thing to understand and rationalize. It also clearly separates the very same people we trust in day to day life away from us. How a black dot placed on the forehead of a child is going to remove the pride one possesses, if he or she is unable to manage his/her own behavior through self-analysis?

The blind beliefs need to be eradicated from the society once and for all. Many of them lead us into evil social practices.

Balajee likes this.
  7. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

I thought that progress in science and technology will end superstitious mentality. But, I am shocked to see the opposite!

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Here Chandrayan takes off at an auspicious movement after ISRO chief offers prayers at several temples. What else do you expect? Of course the gods don't seem to be very pleased with the mission. They didn't answer the prayers.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  9. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Crushed lemon(s) is a symbolism meant for Pakistan maybe?! ;)

Jokes aside,
    Chandrayan is science, yes, but it's also about the efforts of everyone involved and to pray for the success of their efforts is their personal choice. As long as the superstitious rituals don't bring any harm to anyone or cross the line as a social evil, I wouldn't be bothered. Being tolerant of others' beliefs unless toxic is my idea of Atheism. :innocent:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Vaikuntha, Anusha2917, Mistt and 2 others like this.
  10. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

My superstitious beliefs confines to my personal space right ? Not on global stage where world can make fun of ! that’s the way I see it. Talking about lemons here. They taste better in lemonades