1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Want to reduce weight - pcos

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Sweetheart87, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Sweetheart87

Sweetheart87 New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am diagnoised with PCOS last month......now i am 75 kgs and need to reduce to 60 kgs..... started a diet plan.....but seems to reduce very slowly......so thought of starting some exercises...... how about using an eliptical machine.....such as orbitrek....or something of that kind......Also, aiming at conceiving......so please suggest the effective methods to reduce weight within short span.... without affecting my try to get conceived....

Thanks in advance for your replies.... ​

2. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Walking is the best exercise. Do not get carried away by the advertisements seeing the calorie burning capacity of their machine. It will happen only it is tuned to a difficult mode.

Walking, healthy eating habit and doing household chores along with some exercises will surely help you shred some pounds.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sweetheart87

Sweetheart87 New IL'ite

Thanku for your reply..... but i heard that its difficult for pcos people to shed weight when compared to the others.....they need to take extra steps/efforts to reduce while the normal people can reduce easily..... that is why i had a doubt if i can try buying some eliptical machine....... Also... i have already started being in diet along with medicine....but seems that the result is slow......So, thought of the eliptical cycle..... As am residing in Kuwait, it is not possible to walk out in this climate...as it is 50 degree plus everyday.... and the climate is very worse that its dusty in the evening....i do all the household works.....

Please help me with some tips if i could shred weight inspite of not walking n not using eliptical machine....

Thanks again for all your effort to reply me....

Thanks a Ton !

4. agayathree

agayathree Bronze IL'ite

Please join weight loss group dear. I do have hypothyroidism and pcos . I joined yesterday. Am sure we can do the journey b together

5. agayathree

agayathree Bronze IL'ite

Do yoga ,pilates or join group classes in a gym esp boxing ,zumba, bodystep,bodypump. You will lose more weight. Also n do weights to tone your muscles and build them when n you use elliptical. Try to do more aerobics. If you have good motivation and environment you can lose weight even if you have pcos. It's not thatdifficult.it's a myth that v people say that b pcos people find it difficult to lose weight.

Losing weight is a cure for pcos and weight is a risk factor. You gain weight due to pcos

Exercise and healthy diet and life free of stress are good treatment n protocols for pcos.

1 person likes this.
  6. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

weight lost within a short span time will always and always bounce back.

the longer you take to lose weight, the longer it takes to come back.

follow a healthy diet, and exercise, and you will lose the excess weight. and continue to do so, even after you lose weight, as this will keep your pcos under control.

i too have pcos, any drastic diet will harm your body and inhibit you from conceiving.

don't forget to include healthy carbs in your diet like rice, wheat,oats,millet,and ragi.
    carbs are very important for the normal functioning of the ovaries.

1 person likes this.
  7. upavi

upavi Gold IL'ite

Tight hugs to u.... Weightloss is the best solution for pcos & to get conceived.First dont plan for immdieate weightloss, sooner u ll be back to where u are. Please follow these rules, it really helps:

Rule No.1: This rule is very very important. Weightloss is a journey. Slow & steady wins the race. Even 1kg per month is more than enough. But it should be on a decreasing scale every month. For eg: in month of aug if u reduce ur number to 74kgs on any day u shouldnt reach 75kgs again.

Rule No.2: No junk (oil fried items, processed foods like chips)/ No sweets/ No ice creams. If u try to avoid to much u ll easily tempted one day & u ll eat more. So wht i did was in a week all 5 days a strict no means no. I wont even eat one single piece when i serve it to others. On weekends it would be a cheat day but on a very limited quantity (chips 4-5, icecream 1scoop, chocos 1piece in the whole bar, sweets 1/2 piece) to avoid temptation & continue the weightloss journey.

Rule No.3: No white devils like no white sugar, no white rice, no white bread. I used organic sugar instead of white sugar. I ll take coffee very rarely mean in a week one day so one spoon only. No sugar to milk or any fruit juices. I used brown rice and whole grain bread.

Rule No.4: Exercise is very very important in weight loss journey. U can acheive success only by exercise. Walking is must must activity. Minimum of 1hr walking is a must. If u dont do any other exercise also its okay but minimum is 1 hr walking. U should sweat after exercise. so go for morning walk in empty stomach.Yoga also helps in curing pcos as well as weightloss.

Rule No.5: Reducing waistline is a must. In one single day u cant aim for flat tummy. Do some abs like cruches etc to reduce tummy.

Rule No.6: water consumption should be 3 lts minimum. If u can increase to 4lts is also very very good. After brushing or without brushing(then u should have in the night before going to sleep) u have to drink 1ltr before taking any food or liquids like milk or coffee, tea.

Rule No.7: Try to eat 1200calories per day. If u cant calculate ur calories consumption then follow these:
    Dosa/idly/chapathi:2-3. Any food u can number the quantity then it should be 2-3. Start with aim for 3 then reduce to 2.
    Rice/upma: then stick on to half cup only

Rule No.8: since ur reducing the carbs consumption u should increase ur veggies portion. Minimum 2 veggies for lunch apart from dhal/sambar. Green leaves is must in daily consumption. Since u r in ttc until u stop feeding ur kid u should take green leaves daily.

Rule No.9: No rice or chapathi for dinner. U can use cracked wheat, quinoa, oats, millet with veggies again. Two days in a week try to have soup/salad/fruits for dinner. Please finish ur dinner by 7.00pm or 8.00pm.

Rule No.10: Have 6 portion of meal in a day even liquids are included like milk, coffee or tea. Water is not included in 6portions.

Dont's to be followed:
    1) dont sleep in the afternoon or morning hours. Morning hours i meant is after 7.00am.
    2) dont talk bath immediately after an exercise give a gap of 15minutes
    3) try to avoid caffinated drinks like coffee or tea.
    4) try to avoid pizza, noodles on even cheat days

While in ttc i ll tell u how to do exercise and when to do what type of exercise in next post. Follow these rule u ll surely achieve success.

5 people like this.
  8. Minara

Minara Platinum IL'ite

I have pcos too and I've successfully lost 9 kgs in about 4 to 5 months.. Watch what you eat, avoid sweets and oils.. You're TTC, so avoid strenuous exercises.. walking is best.. i lost my weight from doing walking workouts..
    search youtube for leslie sansone walks or ellen barrett walks.. these worked for me..

9. upavi

upavi Gold IL'ite

Exercise is very important for pcos & to succeed in ttc as well. From periods 4th day to cd14th day u can do any kind of vigorous exercise for 2hrs & walking for 1hr. But frm cd15th day to cd19th day yoga & 1hr walking is fine. After 20th day do only walking for a week then wait for 2-3 days & do a preggy test.

Even though u are doing a strict workout routine u ll b able to see the result only if u have a proper dieting. No over eating at all on any days. on cheat days too u dont allow urself for over eating. eat whatever u like but dont over eat. Even if u have reduced to 5-9kgs u can see a good result in ttc journey. Loads of Baby dust to u.

2 people like this.
  10. Sweetheart87

Sweetheart87 New IL'ite

@ Upavi..... Thanku so much......i really appreciate your helping tendency which made you type such pic post...jus for the benefit of people like me.....am really very very thankful to you.....and all your words were really very good, inspiring and informative............i would like to surely follow this.....and wish to post my success story soon......

Wish me good luck.......

Thanks agian.........