1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Want To Get Mom To Usa Permanently, Need Guidance.

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by SeekingMind, Oct 19, 2016.

1. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

Planning on bringing my mom to US permanently. We both dh and I are US citizens. What is the procedure to bring her here and get her GC and citizenship. What documents, medical requirements anything needed please guide. And how long it takes for GC or citizenship. What medical or other benefits she will get after that?

maddysweet likes this.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

First step is to file I-130, and good news is, when you are a citizen, you don't need to wait for priority dates, to go for the second step, which is interview. I heard from people who did this, it may take total 9 months, say (6 to 12 months).

It is easy to work with an immigration lawyer, if you don't want to keep track of all these things.
    Or to get some info and to do it by yourself after initial meeting with a lawyer.

Sponsoring green card for parents

Bringing Parents to Live in the United States as Permanent Residents

Petition for Alien Relative

I have no idea, lawyer may help little bit and your employer health benefits you may check.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@SeekingMind - This url will help with the questions on documentation etc. It also suggests how this can be done from outside the US and within the US. I've heard from a friend whose mom recently came on her GC that it took 4-5 months for the processing.
    Regarding medical insurance, it depends from state to state. You should talk to an insurance agent in your state to see how this is done. Where we are, my friend has to buy insurance for her mom from the marketplace. I heard that in some other states parents qualify for medicaid. I'm not sure if it is with a GC or citizenship though. I assume its with a citizenship.

SeekingMind and mohamedfarook like this.
  4. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

I thought you are in India based on this thread :thinking::sconf:... Property Belongs To Whom?

ok.. something i understood wrong and anyhow irrelevant for current thread...
    Pls ignore.. :sleeping1:

SeekingMind likes this.
  5. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

@sweetsmiley , I am based in the US. My inlaws and my mom are in India. The property issue in that thread is my FIL's brother's family issue and we are trying to figure out how to help them.

maddysweet likes this.
  6. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

get a ticket (roundtrip ticket to USA)

Once they enter into country, need to start the I-130 process
    Start after like 2-3 weeks when they are in here.
    Do I485, and also apply for EAD
    Once they get the petition/application number, they do not have to leave USA
    Get a payroll going for them with limited hours(say 15-20 hrs per week)
    Based on the limited payroll, apply for Health insurance( if there is option, know few ppl who did this)
    Submit tax returns every year, get most monies paid in tax back

7. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

We are currently in the GC process for my in-laws. First ask your mom to acquire medical certificate from local government hospital stating she had all the immunizations done in India.

If she doesn't have birth-certificate start the process for it. You will need a affidavit from her elder brother sister or whoever in your immediate family like mama, chacha, mausi, was born before her to certify she was born on such and such date of the year.

Schedule an appointment with INS doctor for medical examination. For that you will need following documents:
    1. Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
    2. Government-issued photo identification, such as a valid passport or driver’s license. If you are 14 years old or younger, bring identification that shows your name, date and place of birth and parent’s full name. Possible forms of identification include your birth certificate (with an English translation) or an affidavit.
    3. Vaccination or immunization record (such as DT, DTP, DTaP, Td, Tdap, OPV, IPV, MMR, Hib, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, varicella, pneumococcal influenza, rotavirus and meningococcal disease)
    4. Medical insurance card (check with the doctor’s office to make sure the office accepts your medical plan)
    5. Payment (check with the doctor’s office about acceptable forms of payment). It is also a good idea to call a few doctors to find out how much they charge for the exam. Prices can vary by a few hundred dollars.
    Second start preparing of Adjustment of Status (AOS). There is lot of paper work involved so start it well in advance. Once you file for AOS, you will get I-485 and will get a call for bio-metric assessment call. It takes around 3 months to get interview call after the bio-metric assessment.

This 3 month wait-time is crucial. Make sure you keep her busy and tell her the timeline. It gets kind of gets boring for them (experiencing it now.)