1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wakey Wakey!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Dec 17, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

:grinning: Exam dreams seem to plague all of us well into the later years of life! It is one time I love waking up and knowing that my student days are behind me!

Rihana, Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

I used to like Maths very much. Before the teacher used to teach me and my friend used to be ready seeing the examples and when the teacher used to give the sums used to be happy when she used to remark very good

I always dream of losing my way and losing my purse .

Rihana, Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  3. satchitananda

That's great, Vijima! You were proactive way before the word became part of modern day jargon. :-D

iyerviji likes this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Lol recently I got a dream that I was totally unprepared for language exam.
    After I got the question paper I’m sweating and scolding myself why did I give importance only to core subjects which led no time to prepare for language exams :sweatsmile:

I was relieved when I got to know that it was just a dream!

Rihana, Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

You are not alone. For some strange reason, my dreams are not subject-specific. I regularly get this dream of facing an exam and I am completely unprepared for it. I can't even count how many times I got this dream.

Tell me the secret of finishing the Masters in your dream! Let me try and hack my dreams to finish something. :facepalm:

In real life, I was always nervous about any exam despite preparing so well. My hands get cold to the extent I couldn't even hold a pen. I have a detailed prayer that I say before looking at the question paper. It must be funny for the invigilators to watch me with closed eyes when everyone else is reading the question paper intensely.

I read my question paper from the last question upwards. I begin answering questions that I know well first which helps me to warm up quickly. The bells that indicate the balance available time makes me nervous and my handwriting becomes terrible. When I am waiting for the exam to start, all of a sudden, I feel that my head is completely blank as a reformatted disk.

iyerviji and satchitananda like this.
  6. satchitananda

Shravs, I used to study my languages more intensely than the core subjects. I wish I had been honest enough with myself and followed my interests to study languages in college instead of breaking my head with science. Like water which finds its own level, I 'flowed back' to languages in the course of time.

shravs3 likes this.
  7. satchitananda

Viswa, I don't complete my Masters in my dream. It is the realization on waking up that I have actually completed it in real life, so I don't have to worry about the Std. XII exam!

Tell me about exams. Today when I have to take french exams to be allowed to go to the next class, I go through all those pangs all over again. I guess it is a question of wanting to do well instead of just scraping through. That is the obsession which causes all this agony. I wish they would let me just go from class to class, considering I am just learning the language for the fun of it. Have no ambitions of getting certificates or making it my profession.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

I always admire your linguistic skills to learn so many languages. I am very weak on any language including my own mother tongue. I used to struggle with the grammar in Tamil so much when I studied in the school.

When I took my CA exam in 1977 (42 years ago) (you know now how ancient I am), after 4 subjects, they canceled the exam completely because the 4th subject question paper got leaked in Mumbai. As per the rules and regulation of the Institute, if a question paper is leaked, they need to cancel the entire final exam for all subjects to be retaken by all the students after giving 15 days notice. We ended up taking 8 subjects all over again from the start. Since the formation of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in 1949, that is the only time a question paper was leaked. It never happened before that nor it happened after that up to now. The exams are conducted once in May and another in November of each year.

Because of that leak, the Institute decided to be very stringent in the national level exam conducted in May 1977. Out of 5,000 students who appeared for the exam in 1977 only 192 (3.84%) were declared passed on all eight subjects. I was lucky to be one of them. Thank God I finished in my first attempt. I am not sure I would have been motivated to appear again.

Probably, this is embedded in my memory as a major issue and therefore, that fear shows up too often as taking an examination unprepared. Like you, I have no degree in my dreams but wake up to see I have a professional degree.:beer-toast1:

satchitananda likes this.
  9. satchitananda

Wow! Having to appear for all the exams all over again! That must have been the ultimate nightmare.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    shravs3 and Viswamitra like this.
  10. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Apart from exam dreams I frequently get dreams of not being prepared (either haven’t started cooking or running late ) for guests

Viswamitra likes this.