Voni Function

Discussion in 'Andhra Pradesh' started by KirtiPriya, Oct 16, 2011.

1. KirtiPriya

KirtiPriya New IL'ite

Hi,

I am curious to know the procedures and activities to be performed for a voni function.

If some one can explain in detail, that will be a great help. And I think it will add as a future reference to one and all - as I didn't find anything related to the way a voni function is conducted.

Thanks in advance

2. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

hi kirti priya,
    i am from Andhra and i would explain you how it is done our side..usually this is done by the girl's maternal uncle (mom's bro) and/or the maternal grandparents.it is done when the girl is 11 yrs or 13 yrs before puberty. we buy new clothes 1. a new pair of langa n blouse the normal one to wear before the ceremony (this can be bought by the girl's parents also) 2. a pattu langa n voni to be bought by the maternal grandparents/mama 3. a saree again by the grandparents/mama.some gold is also given by the grandparents both sides depending on their financial status. first the girl is made to sit with the new langa n blouse.then the mama n atta give the pattu langa voni n blouse..our side the mama n atta have to put the voni on the girl also(knew it recently when v gave voni to my DHs niece).the girl changes the dress into langa voni.some puja is done.we give the girl fruits,sweets,flowers.then the girl usually sits with the atta(dad's sister if any or some one who is atta from paternal side) for blessings of elders. gifts and all program is done now.then the maternal grandparents give the saree.she wears the saree n again she is made to sit for sometime for blessings.
    this is what happened in our family last year..others may have diff customs.when i was small i was given but it was a very small ceremony..but now-a-days it is like a marriage. all jewellery buying and the grand function with various food menu..

1 person likes this.
  3. sirisyam

sirisyam Silver IL'ite

nice to see ur reply. could also let me know where this function will be done. i mean at parents house or maternal grand parents house.(ammamma). and who will bear the cost of the function.
    and also u r from which part of andhra?(if u dont mind plz)

i am from hyderabad and my husband is from srikakulam. so a lot of changes in way the functions are held.

in hyderabad since maternal parents bring clothes and jewllery to grand daughter, we present cloths to them.

4. Anvitha

Anvitha Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

for us in ongole(my parents side). the jewellery and dress to the girl and also to the girls family like parents and siblings also will be given by the grand parents and the function will be held at ammamma's place only. but the food cost is by the parents and the function by grandparents.
    on a whole it is almost shared by both based on their financial conditions.

5. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

it is done at maternal grandparents place..i am from krishna dt..so customs may change for other places..also clothes are given to the girls parents n siblings..from maternal grandparents side..

6. HemaGudipalli

HemaGudipalli New IL'ite

Hi,
    We are planning for Voni function for our daughter. Could you please share if you have any good wordings for Voni invitation in both Telugu and English.

Thanks,
    Hema