1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Voidness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sreeram, Jul 1, 2018.

1. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Hi Friends,

Here am with a snippet, though not sure if it's worthy enough to receive feedbacks.

Feeling a voidness.....

This thought keeps coming in my mind quite often nowadays.

Is it because am just a SAHM doing just nothing after sending my toddler to school and just cleaning, feeding and taking care of a little kid.

Doing just nothing, other than washing, drying, folding a pile of clothes.

Doing just nothing, after the toddler reaches home, other than making him eat, manage both kids and send him to classes. Again make him finish his home work and get ready for the next day.

Doing just nothing.....

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

OP,

When the expectations and results do not meet, it is common to feel a sense of void in life.

Between so many of your 'nothings', don't forget you are doing so many 'things' that are priceless!

According to Economics, whatever you are doing is non-productive.Vitamin M (money) is missing in your activities. Perhaps missing mental stimulation commensurate with your education and earning is giving rise to this sense of void. Equip yourself with some relevant knowledge and skills till your children are old enough to be a little independent so that you can seek employment or try to do some home based activity that gives you some money and satisfaction.

Thyagarajan, shravs3, sreeram and 4 others like this.
  3. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

I too feel like that many times. But I feel each person set the priority. Some can leave the kids for job and some can leave the job for kids. Both have to face many challenges. When kids are not well the working women might think that it would be better if we could stay at home to take care of kids. Complete satisfaction is rare to achieve.

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hello @sreeram
    All the above is doing nothing?

Let me see...
    • Childcare is very expensive. I am not sure about India, but in the US and I know a friend in Australia, they pay about $2,500 per month. So pay yourself at least half of that amount.
    • After school care - Add another $1000
    • Housework - That is about $25- $30 per hour
    So even in terms of money you are doing a lot.

But take the quality of work which is more important. No one can take care of children's needs more lovingly and completely than a mother. You are doing that.

You are contributing immensely to your family and just by the quality of the things you do.

Just yesterday I was reading what social networking is doing to our psychology. One of the them is, making us feel sad and depressed because we tend to compare our life, with others.
    Are you comparing yourself with ladies who go out to work? If so, please don't.
    Both lifestyles have their pros and cons.

You are doing a lot and you are also writing a fiction in IL. That alone is amazing. Keep it up!

According to me you are doing a lot lady, and each moment you give to your family is priceless!

5. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Thank you so much Geeta mam for your fb. I have read many of your posts which have given the Op's and the readers to give a thought on your words.

I am already in the process of doing a course, and have given an entrance exam related to it and have also cleared it successfully. Now am waiting for the merit list to be released for under going the admission procedure. Am joining for driving classes in the next few days. And there are few more things on the to do list, though it would take some more time to tick them as well.

Though all these would take some time to set on the track i couldn't resist myself from posting this snippet today. Your words have boosted up my confidence and thank you once again mam.

shravs3 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Hi Priya,

Self worth is key to avoiding voidness. May be this opportunity is given to you to enjoy the time well with your kid. Look at the happiness your toddler enjoys when he/she returns to find you home. Isn't it priceless? You are doing things that are invaluable to your child and for you as well as you would have missed this golden opportunity if you were to work now. I can't explain in words how much I missed my son growing up due to my busy corporate life.

There will be a time when you would have no time to do things that you would like to do well and therefore when the opportunity is available do them well and relish them to increase your self worth.

Viswa

7. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your fb. Very true words. I have experienced this situation, not as a parent though but as a child. My parents were working and i have many times thought like this, when i was a kid, "why can't amma just stay at home and take care of me". I used to fuss my mom to drop me in school whenever she had an off. But later had got adjusted to the situation with the pass of time.

Whatever i thought were missed by me on those days made me to quit job when i was about to have my first kid. Again, priority and situation differs as you said.

messedup, sindmani and GeetaKashyap like this.
  8. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Hi kkrish,

Your fb brought a big smile and also made me feel little proud too :facepalm:.

Whatever you have said is something really great to know. Am not telling this on my behalf alone but your words would make many readers who are travelling in similar situation to feel proud about themselves and also about all the things they do.

No, i don't compare myself with women who work out, as i too know about the pros and cons of it. My mother was a working woman and i know how and what all things she has done for me and the family. She had to sacrifice her sleep, food, comfort and yet many more. I feel proud and happy to be her daughter.

Having said that, yes i do compare myself with women who work at home and also do some other work from home to earn money and self satisfaction. Yet this too has two sides. But my inner self craves to do something to satisfy my own self and feel less dependent on others.

Hope i would travel on that path soon and feel little contented. Thank you so much for making me feel happy.

Happy to know that you have come across my story thread. Please do have a look at the updates when you get time and also please share in your fb.

9. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Viswa Sir for posting your fb here. I have always looked upon you as a person parting knowledge to others not just out of education but also with lot of experience and thought provoking.

Your words have reflected my long lasting feelings and the true reason behind my quitting of job. These were the words i told my mother when i resigned my job. But then i don't blame my mother for working, it's just that my priority, need and circumstances were different from hers.

I feel happy to have posted this thread today. Thank you once again Viswa Sir.

kkrish, sindmani and Viswamitra like this.
  10. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@sreeram Priya you are doing everything and why do you say doing Nothing?Taking care of kids,doing all household chores and active in writing .whenever i say i am a vetti officer My children would say Amma you are a Domestic Engineer ,Finance Minister and a good Teacher .so don't think of the word DOING NOTHING and be cheerful

sreeram, kkrish and sindmani like this.