1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Visitors Medical Insurance??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anupadma, Dec 9, 2005.

1. paulmac

paulmac New IL'ite

Thanks very much for sharing this information. There are many of us in the same situation.

2. paulmac

paulmac New IL'ite

3. kushserene

kushserene New IL'ite

Anybody knows about ICICI lombard travel insurance

Hi,
    My mom is coming for 6 months visit, we were suggested to take ICICI Lombard travel insurance. Does anybody took this insurance before for parents? If so is it good? Please reply.

Thanks

4. samsunny

samsunny New IL'ite

Re: Anybody knows about ICICI lombard travel insurance

Hi Kushserene,
    Wonder what insurance have you taken.

5. snehakapoor

snehakapoor New IL'ite

can any one please tell me what insurance did you guys went with..i just read questions not enough info on what was taken finally. appreciate you answers

6. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

We just purchased 6 months insurance for my in-laws. Got it from Visitor Medical Insurance. Visitors Insurance for USA visitors. Visitor Health Insurance for relatives visiting USA. You can choose what option you want based on age. Also can change the coverage amount and co-pay amount as per your comfort level.

7. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello all,

We were looking for travel insurance for my in-laws for a while, as my MIL (64) is type 1 diabetic (takes insulin injections twice a day) and my FIL (65) is type 2 (diabetic medications). My MIL also has heart complains, she underwent angioplasty and has a shunt in her blood-vessel now. So, while we wanted to entertain their visit to USA, also wanted to make sure they get the utmost hospital care if they need.

I was looking for "Comperehensive Coverage" and chose to cover acute onset of pre-exitsting condition. Am sure most of you are aware by now that none of the insurance in USA covers pre-existing condition for visitors. Also India Insurance would be of zero use as they expect to settle the bill in hospital and submit for claims later. Having undergone surgical treatments here is USA, am aware how hefty bills could be ranging from 1000$ to 90000$+.

Also, many of the policies does not cover emergency-medical-checkups/treatments if at the end of admission they find nothing wrong with the patient (which happens too often with my MIL in India)

So, we finalized on "Atlas America" from Insubuy.com. This seemed to cover most of what we were looking for. I spoke to the agent before I bought this, and ofcourse asked her every hypothetical situations that I could think of. I also checked for "in-network" clinics / urgent care / doctors & hospitals availability closer to home before I signed up. (This is very important)

Below is what we finalized on.
    Product Type: Atlas America (from Visitor Medical Insurance. Visitors Insurance for USA visitors. Visitor Health Insurance for relatives visiting USA)
    Policy Maximum: $ 500,000
    Per Person Deductible: $ 250 Per Person
    Total Price: $ 1,310.24 (for both together for 2.5 months)

When I was trying to zero in on an insurance, I had to read through various forums and approach several of my friends, before I could take a decision. Hope this info helps someone in future. All the very Best.

PS: By God's grace we have not had any occurance of visiting doctor / hospital.

Regards,
    JM

Induslady, happyjan, mbharani and 2 others like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

JM,
    Thanks for this tip. This is very useful. My parents bought insurance from India for their recent 2 month visit and while they fortunately did not need it this time they are obviously getting older. I will look into this for their next trip.

9. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing this information justmyself.

10. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

We have parents visiting us this week and would like to know what would be a good visitors insurance to take for them. Please advise.
    vidukarth