1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vishu 2011

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Happy Vishu to you Satchi and many more Happy Returns to your DH too :)
    We get into child hood memories, whenever a festival is around the corner isn't it!

sriniketan

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi SuccessMinded,

Yes, I am a Kerala Aiyer. "Satchi" would do very nicely, thanks. Age is a notional figure. It is how old one feels that actually counts. And being with all young people here really makes feel young and one with and of them. So no formalities.

Am glad you had a lovely Kani. It is one the most beautiful sights to the eye. DH and I exchanged kaineetams in the spirit of being better halves and partners :) Then both of us got kaineetams from my mom, who is here with me presently.

Wish you and your dh too a very happy new year. :)

3. satchitananda

You are so right Kalyani. The spirit of every festival the world over is the same - celebration, joy, hope and thanksgiving. That is indeed the unifying principle in all traditions and cultures.

4. satchitananda

Hi dear,

Hmm. The catch is that this year we have not had any chakkai items - neither for Vishu nor in the normal routine. Am not upto cleaning them this year - it is a mega undertaking, well worth it normally - so we did with ice cream yesterday. (What a let down, I hear you say. But it happens). :)

In spite of that, yes the spirit of Vishu and the lovely sight of the Vishukani was sufficient to produce that nice, warm glow inside which is what all festivals are all about. :)

5. satchitananda

Thanks Sri. Really nice to have you here. Thanks so much for your good wishes. Hope you had a nice New Year's Celebration too.

True - all festivals are a time for nostalgia and for creating more memories for the future.

Hope to see you here regularly. :)

6. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Satchi.

Saw this post only today. Belated Vishu wishes and to ur DH for his B'day.

This year I forgot to click the photo of vishukkani at home. Anyways, u can see my last year vishukani photo in my album. Since DH was leaving for Mumbai at 5.30 a.m. on 15th April, I missed out the photo and he missed my yummy chakka pradhaman. It turned out extremely good. Since after packing B/F and lunch for my DH's travel I had little time left before leaving for office, I had a simple menu - mambazha koottaan with pudualanga poduthuval, pappadam and vadai.

I really enjoy the varieties of koottaans, pachadis and vegetable dishes that can be listed in a paalakkad iyer's menu card!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful display of vishukkani. May u be blessed with all that you wish for.

7. satchitananda

Hi Soldier,

Welcome to my blogs. Wow, what a menu you had. Sounds terrific. Yes the Palakkad Iyer Cuisine is really amazing.

Soldier, I am glad you liked my arrangement.

Looking forward to seeing you here regularly. Thanks. :)

8. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Belated New Year wishes to you Satchi mam.. I too like the sight of the diva in middle of the fruits and sweets... We used to have a mirror in front of all the fruits and have gold chains on it... and on the morning of tamil newyear we have to wake up and see hte mirrow first. i never understood the meaning of this, but it was fun...

the small incident with your niece is very amusing... the list of kerala dishes are mouth watering... i have seen plenty of pictures taken during onam.. and surprised how one can make so many dishes... your picture at the top of the blog is very nice...

nice post once again Satchi mam...

ILT

9. satchitananda

Hi ILT,

Yes, the mirror with chains and the light from the lamps really gives the whole ambience a kind of glow and radiance which make a really wonderful sight. To be very honest, I too do not know why the mirror or why we are supposed to look into it first thing. But like you said, it is great fun.

Glad you liked my arrangement.

And please, plain "Satchi" is good enough. Ma'am feels very stiff and formal. I still don't feel like a Ma'am in my head. :) I don't know when I'll start feeling that way. :biglaugh

10. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    My tooo much belated birthday greetings for Dr Satchi (your DH)... I missed it last time when I posted :(