1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

VISA status transfer from h4 to f1

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by shruti2109, Aug 27, 2013.

1. shruti2109

shruti2109 New IL'ite

hi ladies,
    I am looking for the process to convert my h4 status to f1...please tell me the process and the first step which needs to be taken for it...how do I get started...??

does the college we apply in...files it for us ,or do v hv to get it done ourselves..??

looking for a favorable reply..

2. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

First you need to collect I-20 from your school. That is the proof that you are studying in that particular school. For this you will need to show some documents like your bank statements, address proof. I have applied for h4 to F1. I had to change my maiden name to married name too. So, I had to first change my passport and then show a copy of that etc. But for I-20 if your spouse is paying your fee, food, house you need to show those proofs to get I-20. t also varies from school to school as you get this from school. So, you will have to check with your school.
    Once you have I-20 you will have options like you can e-file the change of visa status or you can send all the documents through post or parcel. I have e-filed, i can tell you that.You will have to open the account on USCIS-ELIS. You will get the process after I-20 on this website. You will need bank statements, marriage certificate copy, H4 visa copy, I-94 copy, you will have to fill in the form 539 , fee receipt (for which you will have to wait for a few days before applying, because it comes through mail. I did not knew that and I wasted a few days:bowdown), I think even I-134 and sponsorer letter. I have written almost whatever I am remembering. But it is always better to check the most recent changes.
    You will have to apply, school only provides I-20.

3. Nature1991

Nature1991 New IL'ite

Hi,

I have got my H4 visa approved (Few days back). I was aware that H4 can be converted to F1 being in US only but I was not aware that I will have to appear for interview and stamping if I travel to India in the mid of my studies.

Thus, As I have applied for Fall 2017 and classes will start most probably in the month of August, I am planning to apply for H4 to F1 conversion now.

Could anyone of you let me know; as I have never traveled to US on H4 Visa, shall it decrease my chances to get my F1 visa approved and stamped. Moreover, shall they raise a question that if you were about to raise F1 visa, why did you applied for H4 first.

Please help as I am worried about this situation.