VERY CONFUSED about where to settle....Please Help Ladies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Indians in London' started by shrutidunwoody, Apr 5, 2013.

1. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies...

I am in a very confused situation...Let me give some brief details...

Me and my hubby have relocated to singapore some 6 months back from USA..My hubby is stressed with the work life here and by the time he comes home ,he is actually drained out...The reason we came here ,was becoz india was close to singapore and his and my parents are old and singapore is only some hours away from india...This have mentioned in detail in my previous thread...

Now the confusion is
    My Hubby really loves USA as he had been there for nearly 10 years...He was having a very relaxed life there, no pressure in work,he used to give us (me and my kid ) a lot of quality time, but only disadvantage was, i was on h4 and not allowed to work there...
    So now when we are planning to relocate from singapore, my hubby says i will try in london ,as he says london life in terms of work will be good plus, it is just 9 or 10 hours from india...The main reason is his parents are old ,so he has this fear of not settling in usa...

But i really feel sorry for him, as i feel if this decision of him also goes wrong then what? He is already 37 and we are not yet settled...

He himself knows that usa is a good option but HE IS taking the risk of starting a new life in london...I have always supported him in whatever decision he has taken...He asks me whether opting for london is a right decision...I told him that usa is a better option but again it is far from india so its upto him, wherever he takes me,i will make myself adjusted as long as he is happy...

Now ladies anyone of u have been to london from singapore...can someone put some inputs...Can anyone tell us what are advantages and disadvantages there...

We dont want to again make a wrong decision...please help ladies...

2. tamgirl85

tamgirl85 Bronze IL'ite

Hi

I have not lived in Singapore - only been there for holidays. However I have lived in UK. London has all four seasons - which I like as you never get bored of the weather! Also there is always something to do - whether its events/shows/exhibitions/shopping center activities etc or outside London - driving along the coast or going for short breaks to Europe. Paris is a train ride away! Although people think London is expensive its much cheaper than Singapore for sure. Depending on where you will be residing of course. The work life here is not as pressurized as Singapore or USA and you get a lot of public holidays, school holidays. Office holidays are usually 25-30 days. UK has some of the best schools in the world so if you have kids this is the best place. Best variety of food/meat/electronics all at reasonable prices.

Negatives- the winter weather can be dull and make it difficult to go out or enjoy anything. All residents must pay taxes and this can take a huge chunk of your salary. You have to wait 5 yrs before you get residency.

If you need any more info please feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

3. shrutidunwoody

Thank you tamilgirl for ur quick reply...We will definetely think of relocating to uk...Actually my hubby had come for a short trip to singapore intially to meet his sister,(at that time we were in usa)...During his visit, he could only see the advantages in singapore...For eg, the bus and train transport convienient which is unlikely in usa...Secondly closeness to india...But now after settling here,he is totally frustrated with work culture here...No time to relax...Now as i m writing to u, my hubby is still working on his laptop...

Regarding the weather in uk,we are not that concerned with cold weather as we are used to that climate in usa too...in winters it was freezing cold there too...Usa also the work culture is good..but only it is very far from india so we are thinking of relocating to uk..

By the way can u plz tell where u r in uk...Also is Hemel hempstead a good place in uk...Thanks for the inputs...

4. tamgirl85

tamgirl85 Bronze IL'ite

Hi

i'm in Chennai right now - but I had lived in London city itself for quite some time. Hemel Hempstead is good area to live in - no issues i can think of. It is in greater London and is nice area to live in with good links to central London. The public transport is very good in UK too so its ideal if you will be trying to get around on your own. I like the fact that they have 4 seasons so since you have lived in USA i'm sure you will adapt easily. For each GBP it is curently 83 rupees in SBI Bank so it's also a very good exchange rate for saving your money.

Hope it goes well :)

5. shrutidunwoody

Thank u tamil girl once again..Just hoping my hubby finds peace and relaxing atmosphere there...take care...and thanks for the inputs once again...