1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Verbal abuse and problems in marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Tridev, Jul 3, 2009.

1. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Tridev,

By going over and over again all the incidents of "abuse" you will be reinforcing your negativity towards her. Dwelling over her negativity will increase your negativity and this is what perpetuates the cycle. This is not going to solve your problem. You need to detach yourself here and try to take a step in the right direction. Believe me I know this is easier said then done. I am speaking from personal experience. You can read my previous posts on IL.

How is your wife with your own biological son? Is there a seaside difference in her attitude towards your adopted daughter and your biological son. You mentioned that she slapped your son just because of the pee accident. Was it because she was very stressed? After she hits or scolds your son badly does she regret it and tries to make up by hugging and kissing. Lots of mothers do that. We all do occasionally lose control and spank our children. Toddlers can really push our limits.

Probably your wife is feeling very resentful because both you and your mother constantly criticize her parenting style towards your daughter. Have you appreciated her for any of the positive acts of kindness she has shown? Maybe she feels that she is being pushed to a corner. I think you should not drag your mom into your family issues. It would make the spouse insecure and insecurity will cause a lot of irrational behavior. Your negativity might be getting reinforced by your mothers opinions.

If your wife realizes her mistakes and is willing to change try some of the steps I listed out. What really motivated my husband and I was the fact that we wanted to give our son a loving and nurturing home. As I mentioned in my earlier post I can remember the fights that my parents had when I was as young as 4 years old. My husband and I have really benefited from our spiritual practices. Its not a silver bullet but a step in the process. The practices will gradually help you improve your faculty of awareness and you will be able to catch your negativity before it overwhelms you rather then being caught up by it. Even if your wife is not willing to participate in such activities I would suggest you individually try to get help just to save your sanity. Take up the Art of Living course or try to go for individual counseling sessions etc.

If you wife is not ready to take any steps to change then its better you separate. I know its a really hard decision with kids involved. Don't let the negativity get the better of you. Don't give anybody the power to take away your smile. Good luck.

Thanks,
    Kavya.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009
  2. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

All said and done she agreed. So she should rise up to the responsibility. She should not have compromised and made the decision. The OP also mentioned that she slapped her son just because he had a pee accident. I am sorry Sonam but there is absolutely no excuse for such behavior.

Kavya

3. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Kavya, what I have noticed is my wife paying no respect to my views , like she hitting my son I mean slapping him just as he peeped, and at that time she was not even angry, she was sitting in couch and I was beside her and my boy was standing, as soon as he peeped, she slapped him left and right in front of me, and my boy started looking at me and crying, if I tell my wife anything it will be a fight, she will reply me in anger, anyway I did not make a big issue then

She knows very well I am against hitting or physical punishment.

Then came hotel incidence of glass and airport incidence of beating blue and black. when my wife says such things she does not realise she is giving bad impression ..

in past we went to Zoo or a social function she screamed there too at him for crying and making a big issue. even In India she behaved badly in front of her relatives and they were asking my mother, what is wrong with her, this her own uncles, as she got up angrily and went outside with the baby scolding him as he was cranky.

Also in past I have seen she being very angry for small incidences like a car parked in adjacent apartment was sounding alarm in night one day in India , my wife was so upset she actually want to go and fight with that person the other day and I pulled her back, saying it can happen with anyone, why you so upset..

Things like these, its too difficult to live with a angry and short tempered person, I know many friends on this forum want my marriage to work, even I want to work , may be my wife too does not want divorce , but at the end of the day we have to live happily,

When I talk of seperation in past, she would say she is going with the baby and she has right to keep the baby legally as she is mother, then I say I worry looking at your temperament, she says fight in court.

She drives me crazy at times, I stayed in hotel for 4-5 days and came back home and started living a normal life, after she requested me to,but still I feel as if there is unsettled feeling, a feeling of not knowign what will happen in future. A kind of pessimism...

Sometimes I feel I am weak to take decisions esp because of my son as he is small...I want to see him happy and lead a good life.

I married her after 3 months of dating in 2001, we did not knew each other for long time before marriage, and that hardly matters, she is very simple, I said ok I am fine looking at her nature then.. I did not mind marrying a average looking person for sake of nature and education. also she married against wishes or her family as our horoscope were not matching, so her family was aganist marriage.

She accuses me that I want to change her in every way, I said have I asked you to apply nail polish, lipstick , wear such and such clothers, walk like this only, do so and so thigns to your hair, then how can I be accused to change her, just if I ask her to talk nicely is it expecting to change?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  4. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Tridev,

You are again and again replaying the negative incidents in the past. This is only going to make you feel worse. I know its really hard to forget such incidents. But shake up and wake up. Lets evaluate your options and try to solve the problem.

After spanking your son for silly reasons does she regret it immediately. I have also lost my cool with my toddler sometimes. But if I treat him badly for a frivolous reason I feel very bad and immediately try to hug and kiss him. Most mothers are like that and toddlers are really hard. How does your wife behave after such a situation occurs.

Does your wife recognize her problem and is she willing to make changes in her life? Have you ruled out any medical issues? My husband was emotionally unstable when his thyroid condition was not in check. When I was crying in pain after my delivery he told me "not to torture him constantly by crying all the time". He does not have the patience and tenacity to deal with such situations and his thyroid condition just worsened the situation. If your wife is not willing to make changes you need to prepare yourself. Your negativity is causing you to focus only on her faults. Don't get caught up in her negativity.

In anger I have also threatened my husband with custody. But in all honesty I don't want my son to lose his fathers love. Like Visu said don't take to heart all the words said in anger. Again easier said then done :) Stop brooding Tridev. Lets move forward and solve the problem.

Kavya

5. Sjw

Sjw New IL'ite

Sorry to read about your situation..I think the main problem with your wife is that she is frustrated remaining at home..I think you can try sending her for some job..even a part time one would be great..Once she leaves the home atmosphere for a short time..she will have time to think what she is doing..Also it will help her to develop some friends outside...

Another thing is you can send your daughter to India for a short while...As for the smaller kid..dont fear that she would do something horrible with him..Being a mother I know we cannot hurt our little ones...even if we scold them..

Hope my suggestions will help..

6. a16s

a16s New IL'ite

hi tridev,

you are really great:bowdown. The ways you are trying alot to make your marriage work is superb. Hope you will get the true and lovely flowers from it.

My co-sister used to do the same thing. This is beacuse of frustation on her husband.When ever she gets angry on her husband, she beats her son. But she never tell her husband , this is the problem. The people watching them will be upset.

only suggestion I can give you is, as you are in US, find a baby sitter for 3-4 hours, and keep your kids with them everyday after your office and just have a walk with her or ride with her all alone(just you both).
    By trying to spend some hours with her alone might bring some change(caution:- any discussion that will create hot argument, better maintain silence or divert the topic).
    Usually women like window shopping, may be take her to shopping (just you and your wife).

7. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>
    May be it's her personality.In my house,I feel few things are nothing and don't even have to worry,but for my DH they are end of the life.So it's just a personality.May be for her peeing is a very big thing and she can't accept it.I know hurting children like that is wrong.Do you think sending her parenting classes would help?(she should agree for it though).

In my house,if the curd (yogurt) gets over my DH does big mess and he also say you are not giving importance to my words (which are allways keep curd in house)all the bla bla and for me it's nothing.

8. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Kavya, husband and wife cannot sustain in a relationship if love, respect takes back seat, whether its your case or mine or elseone. Married life can have ups and downs, but a marriage will survive only if respect and love prevails at the end,

Like you said you too threathened your husband with custody and are not wanting your son to lose fatherly love, that shows you love your son and are thinking of him and that is why forced to live, if my wife too things this way , which I guess she does, then how would relations improve...

If both spouses live in relationship only for kids is it good? I read an article which said if husband and wife dont like each other, then they should not stay in marriage only for kids sake as that is not a good enviornment for kids themselves.

Marriages do fall apart, with time, or couples do grow apart, and its natural, many people stay in marraige either for social, kids or other insecurities like living a lonely life, but how many live with spouse to live with that person.... after a while....?

As I said earlier too, if we dont love someone, small thing gets bigger, small mistakes is a big thing and then verbal abuse starts, so how good it is to live without love and respect in relationship? I know there is no easy answer to such questions , we can do only so much..

Regarding my wife beating and then immediately hugging and kissing, like that peep incidence she did not do immediately , rather she was scolding me afterwords, that he is not getting trained and does it..she wants him to get trained before play school starts in sept, he would go for one and half hour for 2 days, I Said what is the need to pressurise so much to the child that you beat him....

She is not the one who would get angry , do and say things and next moment say sorry or make up with hugs and kisses, she does hug and kisses my son , there is no doubt, she is a caring mother too(at least for my son), and I do understand in frustration it can happen, but forcing a child to do things is not good, that is what she did to my daughter too.

One day, she was saying she is leaving and my son was sleeping, at 11. Pm, she started packing the bag and said I will leave the baby with you, since you always say, that how can you take the baby and is baby only yours, then the baby got up, while she was packing my daughter was worried, she asked her, mummy where you going, what happened, she immediately shouted at her, you mind your own business. As my son had got up I told her please put him to sleep as he is calling mama mama, she said you take care, you want the baby so take care, and she also pushed the baby on bed, I thought she could have reacted more better way at least with the baby.. This is what happens typically in her anger. If I was also a angry person like her, the hell would have broken lose by now....

The other day she met another girl who is 3.5 years old in diapers (Indian family) then she realised that there are parents who are not forcing their kdis...

Once we had same family over our place and the husband who is my colleague saw my wife talking harshly with my son , the next day he told me she was too harsh on him , he is too small, such things make me more negative in life..

I do understand where you coming from, when you say brooding over same stuff wont help, I hear you...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  9. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Hi, nice suggestion, I was thinking over it , my son had fever last night all of a sudden, we got up at 4.30 am and administered him medicine and were awake till he went back to sleep again...

Once he feels well, will try to keep him with baby sitter for some time, regarding window shopping, my wife does not like shopping at all, window shopping is out of question for her...

She goes to grocery store to get things, that is all the shopping she does... but she would not go for shopping or window shopping to get some relief, like most women do..

10. drjp

drjp Senior IL'ite

Tridev,
    Wow, I admire your endurance and patience. Just the fact that you are spending so much time and energy to find the right solution, with all the negativity around you speaks a lot about your determination.

I have a small suggestion:
    YOU NEED A BREAK.
    Take a break just you and your kids for a few days, it can be a weekend. It is very easy to find excuses not to do it, but from your responses I feel that you and your kids will benefit greatly from a break.

As I see, your wife is stealing the show and draining your energy. Assuming your not super man (take it easy ok :)), your kids are probably missing out on time with you. Your daughter is at an age she can discuss the issue with you and may even come up with solutions (you will be amazed how smart and pragmatic these kids can be). After all it is her problem too, don't you think you should help for first? I am sure you discussed this with your daughter, all I am trying to say is: you will have time consider issues with out the commotion around you by staying away for few days.

Oh BTW, leave the electronics including phone at home !! (because they are part of the problem too ;))

Good luck