1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Verbal abuse and problems in marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Tridev, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Peartree, I did not adopt the daughter before marriage, after marriage I And my wife spent lot of time discussion about that adoption and finally we adopted, my wife kept saying we can take care of the child if we can adopt her legally, and that is what we finally did, it was mutual decision, yes since my mother had raised her for some time and my mother being part of my life added stress of its own, but that does not mean that my wife behaved properly either... its a difficult situation for everyone like I said earlier

Also we never mention adopted daughter outside or anything , we are aware of that , but anyways thanks for mentioning your concern, I had to mention here so that members know the reality of where the problem is coming... otherwise its not easy to understand..

2. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Visu, Ok lets for argument sake assume a person in anger says thigns that one does not mean or to hurt somone, like the divorce e.g you gave.

But that is what is abuse all about, we can forget such things assuming it were said in bout of anger or frustration, but if such things continue it can hampers someone internally, even though we say things that we dont mean, they somehow tend to look real and a person who hears that can take it more seriously that the abuser realises. This abuse is something we have to guard against... and not ignore in long run. Because kids can get affected too who just listen that mom is abusing father, or father is doing that to mom , they may develop a image that can be hard to change, though everything is said in anger... and has no meaning or is not truly intended or meant....

I remember watching Shakti, in that movie Dilip Kumar who is a police officer says words against his son who was kidnapped by gangster, when the ganster asks to release his fellow men and in turn they would release his son, he says " Mar dalo use" (Kill him) , but I will not release the criminal and my duty is utmost imp to me.. Those words may be said in anger or he may have not meant, but Amitabh when he listens it develops lot of hatred for his father, this despite the fact his father does everything to get him back.....

This is just a e.g , what I mean is verbal abuse cannot be taken lightly feeling it is said in anger and not meant, abuse has to stop, if I am abusing my wife, children verbally I have to stop, if I am doing it to someone else it has to stop, or if someone else is doing to us, it has to stop.

I am very serious about verbal abuse now than earlier, its a nonsense we cannot live with all the life....

We cannot hear and in return say things that will hurt others and ourself too when we realise we said all that.

However I got what you intended saying to me, that was very matured way of thinking from you, thanks for that.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  3. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Sorry Sonam...I disagree with you. Whatever the reason may be there is no reason for hurting a child. I think Tridev is taking the right stand. Children will get damaged life long if they are not parented with love and care. And since the adoption is a mutual decision she has absolutely no excuse for her behavior.

Thanks,
    Kavya

4. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Tridev,

After going home do you help your wife with your son,like taking care of him and if needed feeding him and some help.
    Some women can show there anger direct and some will control.In my house lot of times I control,if I show direct we will have fights(my dh is very dominating personality).
    Is your marraige is love marraige?
    I know she shoun't do it especially if you are gainst for it.I don't know why she is not able to understand it and ready for the seperation.Since she is also ready for seperation,I am pretty some things are bothering her too.
    Try to see what things are bothering and try to avoid doing those .

5. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Kavya, I hear you too, from your last post where you said "Children are very vulnerable and they need a lot of tender love and care"

This is exactly we expecting from my wife, that never happened, we never saw her holding our daughter, or even hugging her even when she was 8 years old, or making compassionate gestures. Because of that there was always a tussle at home, because of her aggressive behavior , like I said these are some of the e.g again

1. I was in US, my mother, daughter and Wife in India, at that time we had no baby, we had three bedroom apartment, daughter was used to sleeping with my mom and two rooms had AC but the room where my wife wanted my daughter to sleep did not have ac, that is her bedroom, my wife was very strict, no you cannot sleep in grandma room, she is hardly concerned that it is a mutual decision we should take, this being the fact in summer it was so hot in Hyderabad, and she and my mother sleepign in ac room and daughter in non ac, and on top of that my daughter could never sleep in night, she used to stand on door of the room and keep looking in darkness, this my mother used to tell me and when she did that, my wife felt she is actually acting as a catalyst, fact being my mother concerned why she is doing that.

2. When she is eating food, my wife is objecting on her style of eating and scolding her , but not saying words of compassion

3. she was studying on her bed with a clock kept, my wife went to her room and scolded her why you have kept the clock here, she said just to see time and all, my wife picked the clock and in middle my mother also was there, she threw the clock and it broke and it went and hurt my daughter on her head..

4. My mother also told me that she takes her in her room and beats her, I cannot blame my mother for that, just cannot, because if abuse is hidden, that too is abuse...

These are jsut some e.g , my wife has lot of issues , anger being one, bittnerness being other, she is bitter person(sometimes less sometimes more). I hate to say this, but if we would have seen some love and affection in her tone, way of dealing we would never have objected to her scolding.

My wife knew we have to take care of the child, in fact I feel its a blessing. But still she made no effort, she acted like a spoilt kid who is just acting on his or her emotions/style all the time,

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009
  6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Tridev,

Do you see this kind of incidents in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region></st1:place>? What kinds of incidents do you in day to day between your wife and daughter? Like does she give good food, does she take interest in her studies? Does she buy good cloths?
    I will tell something to my daughter to do it, if she don't then as an adult we get stubborn and we think we can control them.
    If things are done in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> without your presence, if something told by your mother, typically MIL will add some more masala to it.
    Do you any hard incidents here in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region></st1:place>? You know my own co-sister daughter was not listening to her and it's hard for them to make her listen finally they joined her in hostel to avoid rift between them. Even I have lot of difficulty to manage my 5 years old.
    I have seen my friends beating there kids, sometimes its hard to manage the kids and they don't listen to you at all. If your daughter is a good girl where she will listen the critical things?
    Is she easy to handle or hard to handle. Since your wife also didn't have enough experience to handle the 8 years, so she doesn’t know what she is going. I sometimes feel tough with my 5 years and soemtiems do shout on her.

7. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Priya well said, yes I am not discounting the fact that the 8 year old who was brought up by my mother had to be adopted and my wife had to act like a mother, she was not prepared for, you are right, it can happen with natural parents too, in fact my son also gives hard time and if you read this thread I did mention we started argument related to my son, when she abuses verbally or hits him, so its a matter of time, once he grows she may be same with him too, if he would not listen she would do things that can look bad, I feel parents who are very strict, can have too strained relations with kids , there has to be balance, scold them, but show compassion too and love and affection

I Tried talking to my mother today to see if its possible to have my daughter study in India , near mumbai, she said people are suggestion she better complete her 10th grade in US and come, else it will be difficult for her to learn language, and manage maths and other subjects which students have solid base in India.... I dont disagree and also it would be too harsh on the child to make her go through all that stress to complete school for which she is not prepared...I also am worried for my mother, she is alone and getting old, how would I take care of her if my wife and mother and daughter not getting along well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009
  8. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Tridev,

Good to hear back from you for putting all this effort.
    I know your wife is doing wrong, but some women think being strict they are doing well for the kids, actually it's not.
    You know it's funny, even my DH acts very strict in the house and he thinks he is keeping under control everything. But it’s not. He is loosing the love from his loved ones. That’s another story.
    In US if you live in double story house, you can avoid the interaction between your wife and the daughter a lot. Once the school starts she will busy with her school and also homework .If she gets any break, put her in some classes where she can learn something. Suppose if she has some summer break, join her in summer programs or something else. Don’t leave her at home. Eventually even if you wife gets job also it keeps her busy but I don't believe she will stop verbal abuse your son whenever she is stressed out .Suppose if your son keeps busy your wife when never you are around, take him to some walk or outside and keep your wife free.
    That way she will understand the efforts you are putting and try not to use the harsh words.
    I know it's easy to separate but you have to pay lot even after the separation. Even if you marry some one else there is no guarantee that they will be nice to your daughter and again you may miss your son and lot of things you may need to pay in your life. So people say known devil is better than the unknown devil. I have strong feeling that, if you keep calm and put your efforts to work with this marriage am pretty sure your wife will change. One thing you wife may be fired up more with daughter because your daughter has strong relation with your mother and also tell your daughter to love her mother. Once the kids hate someone, it’s hard to make them to listen to that person.
    Even in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region></st1:place> after 12th grade, kids go to hostels for higher studies.

9. sonamkumar

sonamkumar Senior IL'ite

I have never said that she is justified in her behaviour of abusing the child or anyone for the matter. I am strictly against it may it be anyone.

But what I am trying to convey here is for the OP to stop the blame cycle and for once try to understand the perspective from other side. The wife is not here on the forum for us to tell what is right or wrong. If OP needs to improve the situation he has to introspect and not expect everyone to just sympathize with him. He needs to take some positive steps to understand her wife's situation and not just try to change her. He feels that it is because of her personality, then maybe it is better to part ways as it is very difficult to change personality at this stage.

She agreed to adopt your niece as her own daughter. You did not force her and you should appreciate her for that. Not every women would agree to it. All I am saying is learn to appreciate whatever good you find in other person instead of just focussing on what is wrong with her and try to understand her perspective.

Agreed she should give you love and respect but my saying that is not going to change any situation. All you can do is say to your wife that look you are wrong in not loving me. You cannot make her love you by just expecting it from her. Somebody has to take positive loving understanding steps and as you are here asking for suggestions we can tell that to you. Because from the look of it you guys are going down the negative circle very fast and is very dangerous for your marriage more than you realize.

I dont think that it would even be necessary for you to send your daughter away or your mother to stay away at old age if you shed your ego and take the right steps and consider her needs also.

She wants to be independent then why is it a big deal for you. Learn to respect the space of other person and that person would definately change. She will never change by expecting it from her.

10. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Priya, I read your last post, but some people are assuming I will seperate and marry again and then that person will have hard time with my daughter too, that I have never thought, I have never thought to marry again and there wont be any more question of adjustment for my daughter with someone else and she wont call someone else as mummy for sure, I cannot make her to go through this hell all the time, if my marriage works then its good, if not then that is the end of marriage. We cannot reinvent the wheel all the time.

Other than that, your suggestion of putting in class and all is good, one reason I sent her to India was to keep her away ...for some time until shcool starts....

Overall your post gives good advice, thanks for that, appreciate it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009