1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Venting

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by GuideMe, Aug 8, 2016.

1. GuideMe

GuideMe Senior IL'ite

I feel that my parents (especially my mother) have taken me for granted and I have been handed the short end of the stick way too many times. My father knows and acknowledges what my mother is doing to me is wrong, but he does not speak up. My mother holds sway.

I am the elder one and my brother is 5 years younger. I was always meant to take responsibility, whether it was for home, my brother, my parents or financial issues. I always sacrificed, always keeping my mouth shut, never asking for anything because I knew my family situation. The moment I asked for something, which was very rare, I was immediately given the "lack of money" song. Most times, it would be my favourite "It -is-your-duty-you-have-not-done-anything-great" song. I am, scratch that - I was, the kind that believes parents can do no wrong. Whatever they say is right. So when she gave me nuggets of "wisdom" about responsibility and sacrifice, I took it to heart. I waited for her validation. It never came. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Even now, it is the same. Never will she call to find out how I am, not even when she knows I have been sick. It is always my duty.

After my brother got married, I saw how she treated her DIL! It is like SHE is my mother's real daughter. MY SIL never calls her, she does. She is always praising her although she barely knows her. (Newly married). Defends her behaviour, no matter what. She is like her mother. No! She IS her mother! Do not think, for a second, that I want my SIL to be treated bad. NOPE. That is not my intention here. (I have been at the receiving end as a DIL too. So I would never wish that on my SIL) I just feel cheated. Where was this mother when I was growing up? Where is she now? Again, I wish my father had spoken up and asked her to be a mom. But he didn't either. what can I say? Nothing. I am that person, who cannot verbalise my feelings very well. I know it will be a mess, if I open my mouth. And to what end? My mother is never going to accept that my feelings are valid. That will leave me frustrated even more. So I keep quiet. I literally feel a physical pain -a knot - in my chest these days, from all of these things that go on in my head, I am patiently waiting for these feelings to sort themselves out, which I am sure they will, eventually. Until then, I need to keep quiet. At that point in time, I will be free. I will definitely do what my duty is towards my parents. But I will not be emotionally vested.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I needed a place to put down my thoughts, so did it here. If you made it till the end, I appreciate your patience. Thank you every one.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016

2. ranirm

ranirm Bronze IL'ite

I can understand your feelings..i think your mother always treated you as bigger responsible one and your brother as kid ..that is the problem ..and your sil should be really lucky to get your mom as mil..those things apart..your mom may fear that your bro may take her wrogly if she is not good with his wife so she cautiosly tries to be over sweet with her..and you are her daughter so she need not change for you..why dont talk your problmems with her openly?

Elastigirl, sindmani and GuideMe like this.
  3. avantik

avantik New IL'ite

i feel like i am reading my own story when i am reading your post except i have sisters who are the apple of my parents eyes. i am tired of being the scapegost and so i try to stay away from them cause only thing i hear is how great they are. it depresses me and affects my married life.good luck with sorting your feelings
    I have tried talking to my mom but she always says its just my imagination

sindmani and GuideMe like this.
  4. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

I CAN understand how you feel.. But past is past dont confuse it with present you have your own life and dont let it affect your present you have your own family now divert your thoughts to them bcz if you keep thinking abt this unknowingly you m8 start hurting your present. One day your mom may realise but it may be very late wen you are not bad y to feel bad??? be strong leave rest in peace ok cheer up live your life

sindmani, GuideMe and vaidehi71 like this.
  5. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

hey OP, hugs to you!

I have felt this a lot of times. During a lot of situations. Voicing out never helped when I was scared of everything. It just created mess that I was afraid to face. I used to keep quite. But when I used to do that I felt torn apart inside.

I started building my confidence slowly without them. Now I no longer need them to boost my confidence. I don't expect anything from them.

This helped me give them back whenever they found faults with me. I stopped giving in to their demands. Now, they 'know' what I have been doing all these years since I 'stopped doing' the same to make them know the importance of my sacrifices.

Am sorry to say this, but build up your confidence. Only you can help yourself out of this. Wishing you luck sister!

6. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

agreed

GuideMe and vaidehi71 like this.
  7. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

Dear OP, I have such a sister too. She is the one who was second to my mother, I have never heard her asking anything from any of us, an all time giver! As a kid she used to save candies if there was a birthday treat in her class only to give them to me in the bus while returning home. I would share one with my friend too but never thanked her back. She was gracious enough, and hid that she was hurt, and I never knew. I always expected her to stand by me, it was her duty I thought. If I was not happy with the game in the play ground, she would tell them the game is not fair and quit too. Since they cannot afford to loose two playmates, girls would come and ask both of us to play and let me choose the spot. A particular incident hurts me till today, in high school I needed a new dress for my friends bday party. My mom thought it was unnecessary. My sister had money to buy stuff for her physics project, though reluctant she gave me that, later she had to bear my dad's grunt for spending too much on her project. I was there when my dad fired on her, but shame on me that I didnt disclose the truth, when I realized it was too late and insignificant.
    That was her when she was a small girl. Now she has her own family and married life. But she is still there for us. Booking tickets for mom/dad irrespective of whom they are travelling for, worrying for all of us, most of all every weekend she makes a conference call to me, my younger sister and my parents so that we all talk to each other as a unit..well its her duty too..
    I never heard her complain. She never asked me anything in life. If I have to do anything for her I wouldn't think a second. She taught me that giver is greater than taker. I cannot be her, but she can be me anytime.
    You are far superior to them, be happy that you have that place in your family. If you are not happy and they are not acknowledging that, you can just withdraw anytime.

CoolPie, coffeecups, SGBV and 8 others like this.
  8. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

positive approach agreed with what you said

CoolPie and GuideMe like this.
  9. GuideMe

GuideMe Senior IL'ite

Wow, Thank you everyone! I never thought I will get so many posts.

@ranirm It is ok to be held responsible, I don't mind that. You are right that she may be fearful of repercussions so she treats her DIL with kid gloves. But I feel bad that I am taken for granted. Not just now, it has been like that forever. Not only there is no acknowledgement, I am consistently put down. At times, blamed for things for which I am not the cause. I did try talking to her, but she just dismissed it as jealousy. And said I need to work on my jealousy, and she is not in the wrong. Well, what can I say?

@avantik Hugs to you. I have been told the same. I am working on it, and this thread was part of that effort. I needed to verbalise it, I needed to hear my feelings out aloud so I could feel lighter. But I could not talk with anyone, including my husband for fear of influencing him negatively about my parents. So I decided to put it in writing where noone judges me. I suggest you do the same. Believe me it is a relief to see your feelings in writing and acknowledging them. Whatever happens, do not let it affect your marriage. You need at least one rock solid relationship. Good Luck and loads of hugs

@Caide You are right. I should let time teach my mother. But it is not the past. She is like that even now. In fact, I was in denial until my brother got married. I justified her actions and told myself that she is mother, she cannot be doing what I think she is doing. It is my imagination, just like my mother told me it was. I have to let go. I Know. I am trying. Thank you for your kind words.

@beautifullife30 You are right, Only I can help myself. If it was someone else, I guess I would not have cared a bit. It just gets harder because they are my own parents who don't value me nor do they care about what I am going through. I am working on limiting my expectations from them, eventually, hopefully eliminating them. God's grace, I will overcome this too.

@sslkgpaa Thank you for that great post. You have a great sister. But you are short changing your self. You acknowledged her. That makes you a very good person too. And you are already becoming like her. I agree, giver is much better than taker. And I would continue doing my duty. I will just take my emotions out of it. I do not and have never considered myself superior to them. It would just be nice, if my parents could show some compassion for me. A bit of compassion. I don't know if that is too much to ask.

Thank you everyone.

sindmani and Caide like this.
  10. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

welcome and tc ok now or in future she cant do anything and when you have lovely family of your own its tym to do to your kids what your mom didnt do for you :D you will feel happy to

GuideMe, soulful and sindmani like this.