1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Venting Out...wrong Parenting(?) / Irresponsible Son(?) / Fate(?)

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sobana, Sep 12, 2016.

1. sobana

sobana New IL'ite

Dear lovely ladies,

So, I am back again with another part of worries, I am writing this as a vent out. I have already created a thread regarding my "irresponsible brother and hurting comments from my relatives". I was concerned about my relatives hurting comments and your valuable comments helped me a lot to come out of that worry.

But with this post is regarding my brother, father and my struggle with them (In fact, I have decided to not to involve in their issues anymore especially stopped talking to my brother) I am just concerned about my father’s safety here.

I explain our situation in brief (though I would have already explained in my previous thread):

Got married in 2011, I live in abroad with my family (husband, 4yr old son and pregnant with the second one).
    - I have lost my mother for cancer 6 years before. My father (67 yrs) is retired and living with his pension money and money from rented house in India. (We have no money related issues). My brother (33 yrs) is also living with my father.

About my father:
    • My father is kind a typical Indian father, not very close to us but a very broadminded person giving us full freedom to choose our own life. He believes that children are responsible to choose their own way of life and parents can only support them by providing food and education (but he is also providing more money to his son).

• He was kinda controlled and normal family man while my mother was alive and just after her death he got retirement. To get diverted he spends more time with his friends and politics(he got politician friends)

A negative side of my father:
    1. He fell into an affair with a lady three years before. I was informed about this by my trusted friend/neighbor. (I was shocked! fought with my father and warned him to stop it immediately)

2. Not being very close to us. (I am used to it coz like most of the families, I am close to my mother)
    Though, I am still vexed about his affair, I was somehow convinced that he has done this only after my moms death and moreover he have assured me that he will not leave us unsecured and he is not continuing that affair(but still I don't trust this completely).

About my brother:

1.He has completed a diploma in 2011(around age of 25) and since then he have not shown any motivation to go for a job and also never gone for any job. No help from him at home also. His daily activty since then is: 1: sleep till 1PM, 2. passing time on net, watching TV/music, 3. going out to meet his friends for few hours and come home by 10PM.

2.He always had problem with his studies. So my father pushed him to get a diploma abroad by paying him around 50lakhs.

3.He have been just kept on dragging the time saying he will go for a job soon or start a business, etc. But so far we have not seen him gone out of home for a whole day for any job. He is living on my father’s money since his childhood.

4. Three years before he also came to know about my father’s affair.

I have never shared about my father’s affair to anybody so far (including my husband), coz I thought it’s unnecessary to create a mess while my father is not disturbing any of us because of that.

As always, we keep asking my brother about his future plans. But since the time he came to know about my dad's affair, he has started to use my father’s affair as a blackmail that he will expose it to everyone and he will make it a big issue.

I struggled a lot to make him understand that it’s not a big issue. In spite of making it a big issue, he should start to care for his own future and go for a job or do some activities (at least involve in a sport).

The problem:
    We are tired of asking him to go for a job for all these years. At one point, my father decided to give him money till he is alive and he accepts this if he this is his choice of life also he has been giving him Rs.20000 for the past 2 years. But for the past few months, he is becoming more aggressive and doing the below things (more alarming/worrying):

1. He is beating my father if he has not done what he is demanding at home.

2. Pouring oil and throwing out things from my father’s wardrobe.

3. Breaking the washing machine, toilet flush tank (reason my father delayed buying a new washing machine (he wanted a big washing machine) and to repair toilet flush).

4. Fighting with my father to repaint the house for no reason, buy a full oven set in kitchen (costs 50000), build a new wardrobe in another which is again unnecessary, etc.

5. Swearing at me and my father if we ask him why he is showing this kind of attitude to us.

Because his aggressive behavior is getting worse, I thought that I should tell my husband about all this fights between my father and brother and also my father affair. So I told my husband only few months before.

Now my brother is making a big mess by exposing about my father’s affair to everyone and arguing with us that he will not go for any job because my father has done a big mistake and he does not deserve to ask him to go for a job/get any help from him. So he is very adamant that he will stay in that house with my father, he will not do any help at home and he will keep torturing my father like this throughout his life. Demanding Rs.20000 per month as pocket money. He is blaming that my father is very irresponsible and he needs to be punished like this!

He is also not willing to come for counselling. We don’t know what to do with him? My father is ready to give him the money but he cannot bear his aggressive behavior. He has started to beat him often and I am afraid of this behavior. I am just freaking out whenever I receive a phone call from India. He demands to buy expensive stuffs at home unnecessarily and if my father refuses then he is beating him.

My suggestions to my father (It’s up to him to decide later:

1. Negotiate with him in the presence of a trusted relative, that he will give Rs.20000 per month but get out of the house.
    or
    2. Go legally to get him out of the house (Because as long as they both live at the same house this fight is going to be a never ending)

I told him that I am not going to involve in this issue here after. I can only give him a moral support whenever he need and look after him as a daughter when he is sick. Because I am very much fed up with both of them fighting. I am totally helpless both of them are not listening to me and moreover, I am tired of my brother's insults saying that I have no rights now to interfere with him and my father. Now he has started to insult my husband as well unnecessarily and I don’t want my family to be disturbed because of his irresponsible attitude.

He is also not willing to go for counselling. All he need is money and whatever he demands at home should be done without any delay and refusal.

I also have to admit the fault that my father has shown him the love through money, which is now putting all of us in a big trouble.

My brother has become an example of how a child can get spoilt by free money. At the same time, I wonder how he has chosen to live on father’s money. I have also brought up by the same parents but I not developed such thoughts and I want to live on my own always.

So cannot totally agree on the saying in tamil ‘nallavar aavadhum theeyavar aavadhum annaiyin valarpiniley’ – Maybe this is applicable only till the teen age?

Thanks for your comments, ladies! Though its a vent out your comments will soothe my agony on how our family is going through such hard time because of wrong parenting(?) / irresponsible son(?) / fate(?) I don't know!

Loving,

Manojs likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I did not read the part about your brother.
    But if your father found himself a companion long after your mother's passing, and she is a good lady why would you begrudge him his happiness? At 67 he is relatively young and anyway it's his life to live as he pleases. You are independent and living in your own family set up.
    This may sound blunt, but unless the lady is a gold-digger (and even then so) it really not your place to tell your father how to conduct his personal life.

3. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

sorry to hear this situation OP. it is indeed sad that your dad has to go through all this at this age. It is unfortunate that your life is also affected by all this.

Affair or not, your brother's responsibility is to stand on his own two feet. He is just using this thing to defend his attitude, which is pretty lame. With all due respect, it is high time your brother is shown the door. He is 33, which in itself enough reason. But now he is hitting your dad. Physical abuse is a big No-No.

I understand it is becoming difficult for you. But you and/or your husband must speak to your father. One last ditch attempt - Get your brother to see a counsellor. If he doesn't agree - be frank and tell him he can't be supported anymore. It is your dad's money. He has the right to make this decision - He cannot keep giving his son money. He is an enabler. Let your brother fend for himself in the real world and he will know what it life really is.

Hope you resolve this situation positievely

sindmani likes this.
  4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@sobana- I have read your previous post.
    I want to say maybe your Brother is depressed and unable to express his emotions about losing a parent.
    He also may be acting out and not realizing his responsibility.

Maybe your father and brother are in need of a strong female presence who can take charge of the current situation. Be there for them. Be strong and help your father. I suggest you come down to India to help your father. I seriously have to insist on this. I can understand you are pregnant and you have your own life. It's your father. Your father has no one apart from your brother. This co-dependency is not good for both of them.

Please don't let your elderly father fight your brother. Please don't. Your brother is a monster.

Parents make mistakes, nobody is perfect. It doesn't mean your brother has to tell how faulty your father is or he can break stuff and beat his elderly father.

My suggestion-
    1.No to elderly abuse- ask your father to call police if your brother beats him. Whatever the reason is your brother has no right to beat anyone. Forget family name or your father's name in the society. This is highly NO NO!!

2. Have a serious talk with your brother- along with your father, you and anyone who your brother respects and a lawyer. This should be like an intervention.

3. During this intervention- try not to blame anyone or point fingers. Concentrate on the solution ( even if your brother tries to point fingers at your father and his affair change the topic) It doesn't matter who made your brother feel what. Everyone should concentrate on the future.

4. Come up with a solution- yes your brother shouldn't live in your father's house. Make a deal like an accommodate your brother in a PG with 3-month expense in the bank and ask him to move out of the house within the given date. If you feel you can help him start a career with one of your families connection try to give him a job offer.

5.When the due date is coming make sure you get a locksmith to come to your father's house. Change the locks. Have a new set of keys with you and your father. Don't give your brother a key.

6.If nothing works- please ask your father to draft a WILL leaving no penny to your brother. Your father can give you or any NGO his house and properties. Bring this up during the intervention- take a lawyer and seriously threaten your brother, if he doesn't accept these rules- the lawyer will draft then and there about disowning him. While you take care of your father.

7.Your brother should never hit your father nor ask more money after the 3 months period.

8. 20,000 Rs is way too high for a useless brother who does nothing all day. I am assuming your brother is an addict or has some other bad habit ( sorry to say this). Nobody needs 20 k to just sit in the house and do nothing. If I were you I would give 8k max. What will your elderly father do if he has expense? Ask you and your DH for his expense??

God forbid, what if your father is diagnosed with something serious where all his savings will go to medical expense?? Are you aware 1 single day in ICU will cost 1-2 lakh minimum?

Money is not the solution to your brother's problem, although he may be raised in that fashion. Its not too late to learn new things in life.

Please don't blame parents for your brother's shortcoming. No parent is perfect. No children are perfect. Help your brother realize his mistakes. Who knows maybe your brother might serioulsy change for good.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    nakshatra1 and dnormx01 like this.
  5. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

FYI, legally parents can disown their kids when they are meted out with abuse. So your dad is not liable to any kind of abuse. And whatever he did, your brother cannot morally police him when he himself is so irresponsible . And you cannot be told to keep away if you have been married off . Legally again, you have a share in all your dad's properties and income and can at any time intervene coz your dad is spending your share on your brother. With regard to your DH, yes he doesn't need to go through all this but on second thoughts, your family needs some sensible guidance at the moment and if that messiah is your DH, so be it. Insults when close ones are in a vulnerable situation should be forgotten.

Most important, call up the local police station of your area and file a complaint or request to safeguard your dad. Yes his life in under threat and they will provide a constable, for few hours a day or even daily to keep vigil . You would have to pay but it's better paying them than get worried with a lil one in your bump.

Please take care of your family.

NeetaR and blindpup10 like this.
  6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, Your brother is using your dad's affair to fund his laziness. He is using your dad's affair as an excuse to extort and abuse.Your dad felt lonely and went for company is not a bad thing. In fact if your dad wishes , you can ask him to get married to that lady. Your brother needs some drastic step. Your dad can rent him a small house far from him and cut down his pocket money gradually. Your dad also needs some legal help so your brother doesn't harm him.Cut him off cold turkey. He is not a kid. He needs to be responsible for himself. Come tomm when he is for marriage , what will he say. He gets pocket money from dad. What will so called people he says say. Good Luck.

nakshatra1, yellowmango and NeetaR like this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Tell your dad to call the local police cell .
    They will send someone to counsel your brother.

guesshoo likes this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Why are you both against your father getting some company in old age?
    That woman will treat him better than your brother is treating him ...even if she is a gold digger.
    Tell your father to write a will giving one third to everyone...you,your good for nothing brother and this lady.Let father marry her if he wants. He needs someone with him(not your brother).

9. sobana

sobana New IL'ite

Thank you all immensely for your caring and valuable suggestions/views !

@MalStrom Maybe because we have always seen my father and mother as a made for each other couple and we have never thought of my father would go after another lady, I think, it’s something unexpected for us so we didn’t know how to react for it at first(I don’t know how to explain this feeling). I am just against this lady because; she is already married having two kids and of no good character. I have even suggested my father to remarry a gentle lady and I am even willing to find a genuine partner for him, but he is refusing.

@soulful Yes, I totally agree with you. I and my husband where trying to take some action on my brother since longtime. I keep on telling him not to give him money. But he always ignored my suggestions. Only now he is realizing it and accepted to take action against my brother(Still I am not 100% confident that he will take any steps, let’s see).

@blindpup10 My brother has been like this even before my mother’s death, I had a lot of hope that he will at least understand his responsibility after my mom’s death, but no change instead it got worsen! I am tired of fighting/arguing/convincing/crying to my brother to find a solution for this. All I receive is only hurting and insults from him, still I continued and now I have stopped talking to him.

On the other side, my father was also ignorant to me whenever I asked him to take an action like you have suggested. Though, he continued to complaint about him to me. I told him strictly that until he takes severe action I cannot do anything to change this situation. He was so much concerned about the society and still not willing to go to police station and stopping me as well.

I am on my 7th month of pregnancy with complications like GD and Preeclampsia. So am afraid of taking risk by going to India at this time. Also my husband cannot travel to India until we sort his visa issue.

I somehow convinced my father to stay with me for 2months just to divert him. Now he has returned to India, he have left with a determination that he will go legally if my brother reacts the same way again.

These two adults make me feel guilty all the time that, I am helpless to them, while they are responsible for this situation. My father often tells me that it would’ve been better if I am in India. He is suggesting me that he will give that house to me and I take the responsibility to throw him out. I said ‘No’. It’s frustrating how my father is refusing to show his empowerment as a parent and asking me to handle this situation. The fact is that I cannot take more control than my father.

My brother says that I got married and I am not concerned about this situation as if I am being selfish. At the same time he also says that I don’t have any rights to interfere with them anymore when I question him on anything. I and my husband tried our level best to help him to find out a job. I have even forced him to come and stay with me but he always refused. Because he got used for the free money and a luxury life in India with a bunch of so called ‘friends’. And he is not willing to work. He puts a question to everybody that ‘why should I make money?’ I will definitely blame my father to build this kind of attitude with him.

I will also share your reply to my father; because I have been suggesting the same to my father for a long time he has never listened to them. But after a long time, now he is willing to take some action, let me see.

@dnormx01 Yes, I clearly understand. But my father is been stopping me every time when I say that I am going to the police. He is worrying for the society. But I have been warning him also that at some point, I will go to the police even without informing him coz it’s going out of control.

@chocolate Exactly, he is used to blame all of us as an excuse for his laziness. And marrying that lady is impossible, as I said earlier, she is already married with two kids and not of good character. Instead, I will be happy if my father gets married to a genuine person who genuinely need a partner like my father, in that case, I will not even object if my father gives all his property to that genuine partner.

@Yellomango Like I said earlier, I would be happy if my father has an affair with a good person. But this lady is already married having two kids and not good conduct. Still, my father has assured me that there will be no issue from that lady and her family. So now I am least worried about his affair. I want to first sort out my brother’s issue.

Thanks all once again! You all are just awesome!

Note: I just made an error on my post, instead of 5Lakhs, I wrote as 50Lakhs.

10. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, Unless your father seeks help , you cant do anything. If the lady is bad , she shud also be cut off.It all starts with no issue from family. Go ahead and give a police complaint. Your dad will one day thank you. Your brother needs to be cut off immediately. He is 25. In a few yrs he will be ready for marriage. If the girl is like him, you are looking at long line of enabling and abuse for your dad. Toughen up and do the needful. Good Luck.

yellowmango likes this.