1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vent On Mother's Attitude.

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by paru123, Feb 6, 2018.

1. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

I have recently shifted to India from abroad with my 3 year old dd. Staying with my parents and husband is working abroad. My dd is 3 year old and weighs only 11.5 kg. Vent is about my mother who keeps nagging me about her being underweight. To my bad luck dd has been falling sick every alternate week bcos of the frequent weather changes and her weight shows a downward growth. Most of the kids in the neighbourhood keep falling sick like her and has a weight around 11 to 14 in 3-4 years age group. Dd is actually very cheerful n happy so her weight is not a big concern for me considering that she is a fussy eater who won't eat spicy, sweet foods. Vegetables are a strict no and fruits when consumed lead to more sickness as the weather is cold. Her food is mostly chapatti or eggs or rice kanji or milk and sometimes fish.

Now my mother always keep taunting me badly regarding her weight. She herself can see that my daughter doesn't eat much. Even new foods are refused by her. She keeps comparing my dd with all the healthier ones and nag me that I don't care of her well. She won't see the negatives in other children or the positives in my child. Just blaming me for her weight.

Her blaming habit is a thing from past. Earlier she used to keep blaming my dad for any inferior quality stuff(eg.vegetable/fish) that he would have bought. She would personally never buy or do house stuff shopping. She won't talk with neighbours as she can't speak Hindi well. So some random phone callss to her relatives is her time pass. She is treated with respect and considered very intelligent among her folks. But with all others (father relatives n friends)she won't open her mouth n give suggestions or opinions. She will just smile and hear them.

Just today my dd is recovering from a cold and she commented about her weight. I couldn't think properly bcos of her negative words and ended up feeding her with different foods. Dd vomited everything n again my mother said that its all bcos of me that she is sick.

Very depressed about all this and don't know how to handle my mother with her negative words. She comments more when the child is sick. According to her kids fall sick bcos of parents irresponsible nature.

When I was abroad my kid never was so seriously affected by cold n cough. Its the weather disturbing her health which my mom doesnt understand.

Please suggest how to deal with my mothers negative comments.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Your mother is probably not even aware that she’s is being negative. So tell her that first and make it clear that DD is your responsibilty and she needs to back off.
    Your mom’s negativity is probably increasing because of age too. Do you have a choice to go back to the country your husband resides in ?

sindmani and paru123 like this.
  3. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

S, I have told her many times that her negative comments about the child's weight and health is effecting me. She is nearing 65 years and I am here to stay with my parents for some time as they are alone.

4. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

It's not correct for you to stay apart from husband , that too with a small child. You should not separate just for taking care of old parents, either you can take your parents abroad or else ask your husband to transfer to India.
    Maybe as a mom she is too much concerned about you and your child, but it is affecting you negatively, and also your separation form husband must be making it much harder.So, please try to get back together- it is not good for married couple to stay apart like this.
    Let your mom know clearly it is causing you too much stress , so you need some peace and confidence in this difficult situation away from husband, rather than criticism. Tell your mom you are in regular touch with doctor, and doctor is happy with your parenting and her fears are baseless. You can explain to her that you are confident of your parenting and doctor also agrees, and you don't want to entertain any more stress in your life based on unfounded fears.

sindmani, Sandycandy and paru123 like this.