1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Veena

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by muggs, Feb 2, 2018.

1. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Chapter 14

After 6 Months …

Veena was preparing breakfast in the kitchen. She was wearing a red cotton saree, small red bindi on her forehead, wrist filled with red and golden bangles and put vermilion in the parting of her hair.

“Where is my breakfast? How long will it take? Why don’t you do anything on time?” Rakesh yelled at her from outside.

She hurriedly took out the Poha in a plate from the wok and sieve the tea in the cup. She kept it on the tray and came outside.

“It is ready.” Veena served breakfast.

“Yes, I can see that but can’t you see the time.” He took the sip of tea and taunted at Veena.

Veena didn’t argue and came back in the kitchen. She started packing Rakesh’s lunch.

It has been 3 months since they get married. It was a quick engagement tails wedding. Rakesh was the same prospective groom, Shashikant had looked for Veena. Due to her father’s immense pressure, Veena broke down and without her will, she got married to Rakesh. She made the biggest compromise of her life. Rakesh and Veena met only once in between their engagement and wedding so they hardly know each other. After their marriage, 1 month was passed with all the rituals and the guests around the house. Once everyone left, Veena was left with Rakesh and her in-laws in the house. Rakesh’s elder brother was a well-qualified lawyer and stays in another house with his wife and a son.

Rakesh had done his graduation and joined his father in the family-owned shop. He was not much interested in studies. So his father asked him to join his family business but there also he doesn’t show a lot of interest. He used to go on the shop, tries to kill his time and come back home and watch TV. Veena started noticing his behavior after a month of their marriage. Earlier she felt due to the wedding he was tired and want to relax for some time but still after few days, his attitude was same. Rakesh was very cold towards Veena. He doesn’t sit and talk with her like a newly wedded couple do. He gets irritated on small things. He always tries to find a mistake in everything she does.

With Sahil’s image in her heart and mind, she got married but she was trying hard to forget him and start afresh with Rakesh. But his rude and cold behavior was making it really difficult for Veena. She was not able to take Sahil away from her mind. Sometimes she feels guilty that she should not think about Sahil now but then again Rakesh did something or say something which pinched her deeply and she felt miserable.

After a year she delivered Akansha. Veena was very happy looking at her tiny bundle of joy. She thought maybe a baby will change Rakesh. But he was very adamant. After 2 years Akshay was born. With 2 kids and all the household responsibilities, Veena never got a second to relax. She used to fully occupied with all the chores and doesn’t have a chance and think about anything else or anyone. Her face started getting pale and she lost the charm she used to have before.

Whenever she visits her parents, Sadhna used to ask her if she is happy or not? She simply smiled at her and say yes. Her heart wanted to tell them everything but then she kept quiet. She used to think what is the point of telling them now when she has to live this life now. She was sure her father will still not understand her emotions and ask her to keep adjusting.

After few years Rakesh’s father had passed away so he is now solely responsible for the shop. But due to his lazy and inattentive attitude, shop’s condition started deteriorating. He used to have arguments with his staff as well as customers. Whatever name his father had earned it was all getting ruined. It now started impacting their financial condition also. Gradually they started feeling lack of money. Demands were increasing with the kids growing up. All these resulted in more frequent fights now.

So, Veena decided to get involved in the shop. Now she got up early, finishes all housework, sends her kids school and goes to the shop. Rakesh never lends her any helping hand. He used to just sit around the shop or house and his complaints kept on and on. But now Veena learned to ignore all this. She has to take care of her kids and provide the best education possible.

Now, whenever Shashikant looked at her daughter, he used to feel sorry for her and he offered his help many times to Veena but she always refused. She used to tell him she will manage everything.

After few years, Sadhna also passed away due to illness. Shashikant also retired and living alone in his house. Sometimes he went to his Son’s place but he doesn’t like much there. Being at a place for so long generates a connection between human and place. So he wanted to stay in Ahmedabad only. His son cannot leave his job and settle there. So Veena used to visit her father at least once in a week. Sometimes her brother and sister come alternatively and stay with her father for few weeks. Now Shashikant is also getting older and his health is not as good as it used to be but still, he was living on his own. A maid comes twice a day and do all household work and cooking for him.

Due to Veena’s intervention, the shop was now running okay but now a lot of competition was grown in the market. When Akansha decided to take Science stream, Veena realized she will need more money for the higher education of her children. So she decided to work more and with the help of his Brother-in-law, she started working as LIC agent. Now her travel has increased in the city and sometimes she has to go to different cities as well.

Once her boss asked Veena to go to Vadodara and meet some of the new potential clients and make them understand the new policies they are introducing. Vadodara is at 2 hrs distance from Ahmedabad. Veena told Akansha to take care of Akshay and house and she will return in 2 days. Akansha assured her and wish her good luck for the work.

Veena took the bus and reach Vadodara at 11 o’clock. She met there one of her colleagues and they decided the meeting schedule with clients. Meetings started after lunch and 2 of the 5 clients were covered by evening. Veena’s colleague suggested that we should take off for the day and we will meet the remaining clients tomorrow. Veena thought she can cover one more today so that she can leave tomorrow as early as possible. She told her colleague to leave and she will go and meet the client now and then she will go to the hotel directly where she has a night stay.

Her colleague agreed and gave her the address. It was a printing press address and the name of the client was Mr. Maini.

Arunarc, Vandhuamma and ratan like this.
  2. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

Nice narration.

3. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

Will she bump in to Sahil?

muggs and ratan like this.
  4. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

Me too think so. It will be turning point again. Lets see.

muggs likes this.
  5. Vandhuamma

Vandhuamma Silver IL'ite

Waiting for Veena to meet Sahil.

muggs likes this.
  6. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

She will definitely I think...nice going..
    what an understanding lady is she :)

muggs likes this.
  7. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Chapter 15

Veena reached the address. She paid the money to auto driver and proceed towards the entrance of the press. It was a two-story building well constructed. A big board was hanging on the entrance with a name written on it “Classic Printing Press.” She entered the building. There is a lot of noise of the machines. Printing work is going on. One person was keeping papers in the order. Another one sitting on a computer formatting some document. Veena was looking around and thinking whom should she ask.

Suddenly, a young boy who has a tray of teacups, came towards Veena and asked her, ”What happened Ma’am? Are you looking for someone?”

“Yes… I am looking for Mr. Maini. I have come from LIC office and wanted to meet him regarding our new policies.” She replied.

“Mr. Maini?? Ohh you mean Sahabji. He is in his cabin upstairs. Come I will take you there.” He instructed Veena to come after him and started climbing stairs.

“Sahabji… There is some Ma’am came to meet you.” He entered the cabin. Veena followed him.

“Who is it, Chintu?” Sahabji turned his chair towards the door and looked above.

Veena looked at him and shocked. Her eyes were wide open. Sahabji is none other than Sahil. Then she realized Mr. Maini is Sahil Maini.

Sahil also got up from his chair and looked at Veena with astonishment. He was not able to speak anything. They both were not able to believe their eyes. They were standing as statues.

“Sahabji… Madamji… What happened?? Are you both okay??” Chintu broke the silence. He couldn’t understand what happened to them.

“Ahh, nothing… nothing happened Chintu. You can go now.” Sahil came back to reality and tried to hide his reaction from Chintu.

“Ok Sahabji.” Chintu left from there.

Veena was still standing clueless.

“Veena is it really you?? I still cannot believe that you are in front of me after so many years. How are you?” Sahil came out from his desk and move towards Veena.

Veena pulled herself and tried to be normal. She cleared her throat and spoke, “Hi Sahil… I am good. How are you doing? I know it been a really really long time.”

“I am also doing good. Just got a little tummy.” Sahil joked.

Veena smiled.

“Your smile is still the same.” Sahil looked into Veena’s eyes.

Veena felt little awkward and move away her eyes. The discomfort was obvious as they haven’t seen or talked to each other not even once in so many years.

“Ohh… see I don’t even ask you to sit. Please take a seat Veena.” Sahil understood and changed the topic.

They both sat on the chairs. They were trying to start the conversation but don’t know what to say.

This time Veena broke the silence, “So you have become a businessman now.”

“Ahh… nothing like that. It is just a small press I set up after shifting here. I got bored of doing same 9-5 job every day, so thought of staring something of my own. By God’s grace, it worked out.” Sahil replied with modesty.

“So, since when you are here?” Veena asked curiously.

Sahil understood her curiosity and replied with a smile, “It’s been 8 years now.”

They were just a few miles apart from last 8 years and had no idea about it.

“So, when did you shift to Vadodara from Ahmedabad?” asked Sahil.

Veena got surprised at his question.

“I came to know about your marriage from Richa. She had told me that you are settled in Ahmedabad.” Sahil cleared her confusion.

“Ohh… Ok. I still live in Ahmedabad. I came here for work. Actually, I am LIC agent and came here for client meetings. And one of our clients is Mr. Maini.” She smiled.

“Ohh… you work for LIC. Actually yes I had a meeting scheduled today but I was expecting someone else.” Sahil was little puzzled.

“Yes that’s my colleague who handles this zone but he took the day off and I thought I will come here.” Veena replied.

“You thought absolutely right.” Sahil said.

Veena looked at him questioningly.

“I mean if you would have come tomorrow, I would not have been here. I am going Surat for some family function. And then I would not have get the chance to meet you once again.” He answered putting pressure on his last two words “ONCE AGAIN.”

Veena understood his words but she doesn’t know what to say.

“Anyways… From how long you are working?” Sahil broke the silence once again.

“From last 3-4 years.” Veena replied.

“It must be very hectic. Taking care of the house and then working and traveling also. You are working really hard. So who all are there in your family?” Sahil appreciated Veena but her face’s dullness is making him worried. He wanted to know more about her life.

“Yes, sometimes it is hectic but when you don’t have many choices you should just accept the life as it is.” Sahil felt disappointment in Veena’s voice.

Sahil looked at Veena worriedly. “What do you mean? Is something bothering you?”

“Ohh nothing… I was saying just like that. So in my family, I have my husband Rakesh and two kids Akansha and Akshay. Akansha is preparing for engineering entrance and Akshay is in school. What about your family?” Veena avoided the situation and answered his earlier question.

“I have two sons Rohan and Lakshya and my wife Poonam. She is from Vadodara only. So when I decided to leave the job we chose this place to start my business.” Sahil told Veena.

For another half an hour they chatted about their family, life, and work.

Veena looked at her watch and said “Ohh… its got very late. I think I should get going.”

“Wait, Veena… I will drop you. Where are you staying? I didn’t even ask you for tea or snacks. I am really sorry. I will order it now. Just give me 5 mins please.” Sahil stood to call someone.

“No… No Sahil… that’s okay. Please don’t order anything. I don’t feel like having anything. I will go to the hotel now.” Veena stood hurriedly and take her bag from the table.

“Okay fine… But let me drop you at your hotel. It is dark now.” Sahil insisted.

“Okay… let’s go.” Veena gave him hotel address and they left his office in Sahil’s car.

Arunarc and creativemumma like this.
  8. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Most of the women do this. Hide it all and keep adjusting. :)

ratan likes this.
  9. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

Its a great relief for veena to meet with Sahil at the turmoil of life. Can they will be good friend and get mental support even?

Muggs. Nice going. Awaiting next episode curiously.

muggs likes this.
  10. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Here comes the next episode.

Chapter 16

On the way to the hotel, there was an awkward silence between them. They were thinking how they used to talk for hours in the past and now they are looking for words. Sahil was showing her places, which are coming in the way just to avoid complete silence. Then suddenly he stopped his car.

“What happened?” Veena asked.

“Look there.” He pointed towards an ice cream parlor outside at the corner of the road.

“This shop’s ice cream is very famous. I know you don’t want to eat anything but one ice cream will not be much. Please, it will take just 10 minutes.” Sahil requested.

Veena hesitatingly got ready and they came inside the parlor. Sahil went to the counter and bought two cones. As he handed one cone to Veena, they remembered their movie date after which their lives had changed.

“I am sorry Veena. I couldn’t keep my promise. I tried a lot but couldn’t make it happen.” Sahil broke down.

Finally all the unsaid and the heart pain started pouring out. Veena looked at him and her eyes become wet.

“Don’t say sorry. It’s not your or anyone else’s mistake. It is all destiny. We had only that much time together. We could choose other options to be together but that will hurt our parents deeply and we couldn’t be happy after doing that too. So we should not blame anyone.”

Sahil was looking at her surprisingly. How maturely she is talking. Her thought process is so clear and resolved. He has a great respect for Veena.

“We should accept the truth and live in present. We have so many responsibilities towards our family. Thinking about all those moments will make us only weak.” Veena continued.

Sahil was listening to her patiently but as she was talking, he is getting this feeling that something is bothering her.

“Are you happy Veena?” Sahil couldn’t control and asked it out.

Veena looked at him shockingly. She didn’t want this question to be popped up.

“Yes of course. Everything is great. My kids are very well behaved and studious. My work is also going well. All settled. What else does one need?” Veena replied with conviction.

“And your husband?” Sahil looked at her closely. He knows her eyes cannot say lies. He can see an emptiness there.

“Yes… Rakesh is also very nice. He takes good care of me.” Veena tried to avoid eye contact.

Sahil understood something is there which she is hiding but he doesn’t want Veena to feel awkward so he smiled and left it there.

“Veena I was just wondering if you are fine with it, Can I ask for your contact number?” Sahil asked her hesitatingly.

Veena didn’t say anything. She wanted to give her number but not sure should they be in touch with each other or not?

“I understand, if you are not okay that’s fine.”

Sahil understood her situation.

“No… that’s okay. This is my number.” She decided to give her number. Sahil also gave his card to her.

“Sahil, I think we should get going now.”

“Yes, let's go.”

They came back in the car but this time the awkwardness was not there. Now they are talking with ease. Sahil dropped her at the hotel and once again the time has come to depart. But now they can talk to each other at least and no one will judge them or their new relation “Friendship”.

Arunarc, peddadas and ratan like this.