1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti's Story in the Latest Kumudam!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Chitvish, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I am happy to tell you that Varalotti's one page story has appeared in the latest issue of Kumudam. Kumudam recently announced a scheme of publishing "Muthiraikkathaigal" and Varalotti's story has been chosen as a Muthiraikkathai by the great novelist Rajesh Kumar.

The story is entitled "Panam" and considering the impact the story had on me, I request Varalotti to post the translation of the story in this forum.

The story lashes out at those people who do not give to the people who deserve or who need money, but instead pour money in temples and at the feet of godmen. The story would also be a lesson to people who bargain for Rs.2 with a veggie vendor or an auto driver but give Rs.5 to a beggar or drop Rs.10 in the Temple Hundial.
    Well done, Varalotti, Keep it up.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks, Again, For the Nth Time, Chitra!

Dear Chitra,
    Thanks for the nth time for posting about my story. This is one story which I enjoyed writing. I wrote this story two years back. Unfortunately it was rejected by all the magazines.
    But I was convinced about the story. So when Kumudam announced the Muthirai Sirukathai Scheme I immediately sent in the story. I have not yet lost hopes in the system; for a writer of Rajesh Kumar's stature has selected this story and has given his stamp of quality.
    Kumudam is still hot in the stands and it is not fair to post the story now. I will post the translation of the story next Saturday. I would love to discuss the implications of the story with the gracious ILites.
    Thanks once again, Chitra,
    sridhar

3. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Congrats Varalotti !

Dear Mrs CV,

Thank you for this announcement. The topic seems different, more so like an eye opener towards the hypocracy happening in society. Eagerly awaiting for next saturday!

Purni

4. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Congratulations, Sridhar. Looking forward to reading this story in IL. Can you let me know which date KUMUDHAM issue should I buy? Nothing like reading the original version, right?

Regards

USHA KRISHNAN

5. varalotti

Thanks Usha and Purni!

Dear Usha and Purni (Purnima, since you are leaving out the last two letters of your name, I am following suit)
    thanks for the posts. I shall definitely post the story next Saturday.
    Usha, it has come in the latest issue of Kumudam. The issue cover date is 8th October, 2006. It is on stands here, right now. May be it will take about a week's time to reach Dubai. Please check with your local newspaper vendor. You said it right, nothing like reading the orginal version. And nothing like reading it in Tamil.
    regards,
    Varalotti

6. varalotti

Usha, the correct cover date!

Dear Usha,
    The story appeared in Kumudam issue whose cover date is 4/10/2006. There were two Kumudams. My story is in page 9 of the Kumudam which features Actress Nila on its cover.
    sridhar

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

A habit with you Varalotti:)

Dear Sridhar,

Looks like you have made it a practice to produce such wonderful works that always seem to carry a moral with it. Although I have not read the story, the little intro that dear Chitra has provided here gives me an insight to its content. I too belong to those who believe in using money in the way that it can help the hard working man directly. Recently, I was shocked at the news about someone wanting to spend crores to improve the Shirdi temple. Anyways, shall wait to read the story when it appears on our IL. In the meantime, my Congratulations to you.

L, Kamla

8. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Varalotti's story - Kumudham online

Dear ILites,

You can access Varalotti's original story on Kumudam.com. You have to register though ( Regn is free), and then go to Kumudam Magazine->Kadhaigal->Oru Pakka Kadhaigal. This is for those who want to read the original story in Tamil.

Vidya

9. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

I disagree with you Kamla

Dear Kamla,
    Shirdi is flocked by thousands of devotees every year, so what's wrong in spending on improving our place of worship. While I agree it is a person's hypocrisy to not help a poor man and instead spend on unwanted rituals(like in Varalotti's story), I feel there is nothing wrong in improving facilities at a place of worship, where thousands of poor and rich alike flock to vent their feelings to God.

-Vidya

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Nice to know

Dear Vidya,

Thanks for enlightening me on the facts. Maybe I came to my conclusions in haste after reading some headlines and the controversy regarding that on the net. Maybe I did not look deep into what the money was being spent on. I too subscribe to the idea that the facilities for the visiting public must be improved in places of such worship. I was appalled at the multitude of people thronging at the Tirupathi Devasthanam and the near stampede situation inspite of many facilities being improved there. Safety and convenience for such pilgrims is of utmost importance and also helps people feel satifsfied after their much desired visit to these temples.

L, Kamla