1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti's Story in Ananda Vikatan.

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Chitvish, May 19, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Why did you remove, Safa?

Yes, Safa, I am large hearted. But why did you remove the message?
    I am large hearted and have to be so while dealing with gracious ILites like you and Vidya.
    sridhar

2. malar

malar Bronze IL'ite

I read it in online!

Hello Varalotti,

I have a subscription to Vikatan and on seeing this thread, I immediately logged in and got to read it. Thanks to Chitvish for posting about it.

Short story, but superbly conveys the message. If only everbody is going to have their books clean & teach a lesson like this to the officers who misuse their posts, lanjam is going to be gone. Are those days nearby?

You know, I have a couple of friends here who are regular Vikatan readers. I told them with great pride about the story and especially the writer that I know him and have interacted with him via this wonderful community!

Great going, Varalotti.

Kind regards,
    Malar

3. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Yes, Safa, I amlarge hearted. But why did you remove the message?

hey sridhar,
    nothing..
    i just wanted to tell u it..and thought u might have read it..so no need to keep it there..
    bye,

4. varalotti

I had the same happiness, Malar!

Dear Malar,
    Reading your post I had the same happiness and delight which I had when my dad announced with pride that my story has appeared in Vikatan.
    A few months ago in a correspondence with Vikatan their Assistant Editor told me that people now a days don't like short stories. That's why they have brought down the number of stories from about 4 or 5 per issue to 1 or 2. (Very recently they have increased this figure to 3) I told him if writers could focus on something different other than the usual love and marriage stuff, then there will certainly be enough readers. Even as late as 2004 they were publishing my story once or twice a month. Now they have cut down to one every two months.
    In this context your message makes me happy as it has clearly vindicated my stand.
    regards,
    Varalotti

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Finally got down to reading the story ...(thanks to Selvi. That link worked !)

The story was very well narrated, and what a brilliant way Sharada has handled this corrupt officer...great thinking, not only has she taught him a lesson but also will punish him by taking back some of his wealth! Felt good to read it in tamil font online.
    Thanks to all of you!

6. varalotti

Thanks, Sudha!

Dear Sudha,
    Happy to know that you liked the story. Though we see corrupt officers every day in our profession, we could not teach them a lesson. So I made my heroine do that for me. Of course the story was a real life incident that happened in Zaveri Bazzaar in the late 70s.
    Vikatan cut down the later part of the story for want of space. I had made Sharada get an agreement signed by the corrupt officer that he would not interfere with her affairs in future.
    It's surprising to learn that Womans Era found the story rather too strong and did not want to project woman with such strong qualities, Vikatan was happy to do so. Strange are the ways of the magazines.
    regards,
    sridhar

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear shridar u write well abt woman.....

dear sridhar,
    i felt only harold robbins pumped up the woman ego in a grt way..once u finish his story somewhere along u feel elated for doing things right though u have been a woman and got away with it.....where the world never even allow u to raise ur neck...i enjoyed the story well...felt elated in the same manner.....serves the corrupt guy right..bravo to such stories......regards sunkan

8. varalotti

Thanks, Sunkan!

Dear Sundari,
    thanks for the profuse words of praise. If after reading my story a woman takes pride in the fact that she is a woman then I can rest in peace that my mission in life is accomplished.
    I have created many woman characters doing the acts which normally a man does - woman IT officers, woman HR managers etc. Of the two sexes the fairer one is both underrated and overexploited. Writing about such a woman is the least I can do to correct that twin-injustice.
    Being born of a wonderful woman, living with another wonderful woman and having fathered a wonderful woman - with these great blessings that's the minimum I owe to womanhood.
    Writing about woman has been my visa into IL and now I can at least half-hope that the visa issued for me has not fully gone waste.
    regards,
    sridhar

9. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

Well written Story Sridhar

Sridhar

This is the first tamil story of yours that i read. I really enjoyed reading your writing.
    The `form' of your stories is one that impresses me the most be it in tamil or in English. For what i have read so far your stories are sculptured meticulously with great artistic touch. Your story telling techiniques are really ineffable.

I would name Sridhar our IL's " Pudumaipithan or Ku.Pa.Ra. " (My favourite short story writers!!!)... Its true...

Do interests us with more of your work Sridhar!! Your VISA to IL is most honored!!!

Thanks Selvi for the ZIP file.

Love
    Vidya

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

clever solutions

Dear Varalotti,
    It is really amazaing how you come up with such different yet very excellent solutions to problems, whereby the affected person wins without any violence.Even the story in Woman's Era was very different. I feel that such people should be punished in that way.
    The story in Vikatan is also very clever and thoughtful. This also shows that people who are straight forward need not worry about suh corrupt people. The story was really captivating.
    Congratulations.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo