1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti's Story in Ananda Vikatan.

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Chitvish, May 19, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,
    Today being Friday, the new Vikatan dt 28th May has just arrived. I caually browsed through it when I noticed that our dear friend Sridhar's story " Lanjam, lanjam" is published in it. Short story, yet the theme is very powerful & very well written.

Sridhar, it makes real " gripping reading", given the nature of the subject. I liked everything except the heroine's name. Please learn to enjoy " Thayir Vadai" - IL ites know, what I mean !
    Yet another feather on your cap - Vikatan means a lot to us in the South & your story appearing in Vikatan once again is a laudable feat !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Delighted, Chitra!

Dear Chitra,
    I was very happy this morning when I did not find Anandavikatan on the dining table. It means only one thing. My Dad would have hidden it and give it to me with his wishes for my story. Soon enough Dad called me from the puja room and handed over the book to me.
    This story had been lying with them for more than 2 years.
    If I was happy seeing the book, I am pretty delighted seeing the thread started by you, Chitra.
    I am not going to say "thank you for the nice words" as you know that these words have been branded as Varalotti-style-hackneyed-cliche. I will just say that I can never thank you enough.
    Chitra, why don't you follow this with your review of the story. But give some time for those ILites who can lay their hands on vikatan and then you can post your review.
    thanks, thanks and thanks,
    sridhar

3. Chitvish

The ball is in my court, Sridhar !

Dear Sridhar,
    Now I will say " Thankyou for the nice words" !
    I would love to review the story - I am holding back, because still " lacking the competency to review a known person's story " is at the back of my mind !
    You know, I am just a beginner and nowhere near the Jambavan Reviewers !
    Thanks, thanks and thanks,
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Not Fair you Maduraiites....what about us...how can we read this? Is there an online version on the vikatan site..will check it out now....

Anyway Chitra, go ahead and review a known person's story.....When will you learn then how to do it?:tongue ..its okay if it is going to be all praises, i am sure Varalotti will not mind it one bit! :oops: and we get to see you in action again ...ha ha...

5. varalotti

There's an online Version, but...

Dear Sudha,

there's an online version www.vikatan.com. But that is now a subscribed site. I think they charge about Rs.650 per year for all their magazines.

I tried to scan and post the story. But the scanned version is too large to be accommodated into IL.

Please check if some of Tamilians there (or in IL) have a subscription to online Vikatan. They can email the story to you.
    If all else fails I will have to post a translation.
    Let's see.
    regards,
    sridhar

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Mes amis

If anyone wants the story, send me a pvt mssg.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  7. varalotti

Mes amis?

Vidya,
    when you post French words ( I hope mes amis is French) please post the meaning also. That way a layman like me can do some pantha (the Madurai jargon is "film kattaradhu", Madras jargon is "peter vidarathu") ha ha ha
    sridhar

8. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Translation, did u Say?

Dear Sridhar,
    I became all ears (or eyes rather), when u said "if all fails i will post a translation". Being a non-tamilian but still being ur ardent fan i would be very happy when time permits, if u could post a translated version. Of course please take your own sweet time. No hurry at all.

9. Chitvish

Sridhar, are you listening ?

Dear Sridhar,
    Being a busy professional, why not you give the privilege of translating your stories into English for the sake of I L readers, to " less known" mortals like me ?
    At your command, Sir !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. varalotti

Will do it Prathi!

Dear Prathi,
    Will definitely do it. But let them all read it in tamil first. Then I'll translate it for you, if not for anybody else. My sweet time will be two/three weeks from now.
    regards,
    sridhar