1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti shares his "sweet sorrow" with us !

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Chitvish, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear all,
    Please go to
    http://deccanherald.com<WBR>/deccanherald/sep12006/editpage<WBR>16852006831.asp

Our Varalotti's middle has come in Deccan Herald. He has written in his inimitable,enjoyable style, two very poignant parting scenes in his life.

Well, Sridhar, the "emotional" parting scene with your daughter is yet to come!

The "extra jolting" joke is very enjoyable. Your sense of humour when narrating an emotional incidence, makes you stand apart as one master narrator, no doubt !

As you finally put it in the last line, inspite of our best efforts, "head" takes a back seat and "heart" comes to the fore! All said and done, we are still human, are'nt we?

I end quoting your favourite Gibran:
    "Your children are not your children,
    They come through you but not from you,
    And though they are with you yet they belong not to you."

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

biggest parting is yet tocome

Dear varlotti,
    The middle isvery simple yet powerful.I agree with you that reasoning is possible with thousand heads but not with a heart.Although we try to believe that head should rule the heart sometimes the heart takes over. After all that is the essence of life,isn't it? I am waiting for your write up in the subject after you marry your daughter off.
    Regards,
    Meenu
    Chith, Thankyou for bringing the article to our notice

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks A Lot,Chitra

Dear Chitra,
    Thanks a ton for posting my middle in IL. And for regularly posting all my middles very promptly though you have verly large responsibilities in IL. Thanks once again.
    Let me thank the entire IL community. This middle had its origin in the Pangs of Parting thread originally posted by Ambika Ananth. My response to her beautiful write-up on her son going away was the starting point of this middle.
    Yes, Chitra, I do agree with you when you quote Kahlil Gibran. But sometimes I feel that it is an argument to the head and not the heart.
    Thanks,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Meenu!

Dear Meenu,
    As you rightly said Heart is the essence of life. One simple rule I follow to find whether I decide with my head or heart. If I take the decision in a blink of an eye then it is the heart thats deciding. If I have to argue and counter argue with my head, heart and then finally take a decision, it is invariably the decision of the head, which at times even lead to a head-on collision. Remember there is no heart-on collision.
    I dont want to think of the parting scene at her marriage. Lets cross the bridge when we come to it has always been my policy.
    regards,
    sridhar

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,
    that was a sweet writeup on sorrowful parting....well i seem to be going through it every weekend, when mydaughter visits me and leaves. Rigtly said that whatever i think and console myself myself , the heart does seems to have the final say!
    Chitra, nice of you to bring it to our notice!Thanks!

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Welcome back, dear Sudha !

It is nice that you are back in dear I L, though now physically away from India.
    I do hope to get back to our enjoyable interaction.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

too attached

A good middle. Can't imagine what your condition will be when Preethi gets married! Did Indhu really cry on her daughter's first day in school? Usually it's the other way round!
    Sharada

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Chitra.

What a sweet and poignant article. Nice observation, we parents rather have a happy child far away than keep her/him sad at home. Anything to fulfil their heart's desires. But then dad...how true, how are we to teach our heart to listen to our head?!
    Your writings are always full of heart and thought Sridhar. This one has the hue of love all over it. Enjoyed reading it.
    Hope Preethi has settled in well and is enjoying. A new chapter in life starts for all of you. Best of luck.

L, Kamla

9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Milestones for Parents!

Don't we all go through this. Your piece came just at the perfect time for me. My little one just started preschool last week and i went through the same experiance. The first day, there i was in the class hesistant to leave and all Jayanth says to me is " Bye see you later" . The second day was even worse, he just jumped out of the car and ran into class, with not even a look back at me and no byes. And there i was thinking he will miss me a lot and cry .........:cry: .

Anyway we all had a good laugh .

Vandhana

10. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Parting is not easy Sridhar

Dear Sridhar,
    That was one good article to read for parents like me who will be sailing in the same boat in about four more years. Hope your daughter has settled well and is enjoying her college. I always fear when I see my kids grow since I see them becoming more independent and I fear that 'big' day. As you have mentioned it is always good to have a far away happy child than a sad child living close to you. I will remember this since it is my son's first day of school today.
    Good luck with everything. Mrs C as usual thanks for posting this article.
    Love,