1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Value Of Money

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 21, 2018.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Sandycandy. :)

Sandycandy likes this.
  2. satchitananda

Am sure. :)

That is a mystery I still don't understand!

shravs3 likes this.
  3. satchitananda

My mom would make a big fuss if I bought anything and would keep it away for me. It used to be so exasperating. But the saree she used a lot. :) Am sure it must feel great!

Sunburst, kaniths and shravs3 like this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Satchoo,

Such a sweet recap! Ehem, my experience has not been that sweet or generous as a grown-up daughter.

When I glared at the pay slip of my first job, I was thunder struck. I have not seen that kind of lucre growing up in a middle-class milieu with doordarshan values.

I splurged! I again splurged the next month. No drugs and no disco yet no savings. But weekend-hops on flights and food and spas and indiscriminate decadence attending those pretentious literary festivals. For some reason, I was too naive that I gave the mailing address as my parents' location. My father once chanced on my bank statement and pried into it and was aghast. He called me up and scowled "what is this? are you planning responsibly?" In the background, he was inquiring from my mom: 'does anyone know what the hell she is doing or does anyone hold her accountable anymore?' He then implicated me in some binding life insurance policy on my name so that I am constricted with those premiums.

You might assume this anecdote has the honourable end of a redeeming parable. Ha! Never. My dad ended up paying all those premiums for years whilst I swiftly changed my address at the bank. The microwave, wall clock, kitchen ware, calling bell, fridge, television, all kinds of electronic goods or towels or soaps or bedsheets all were bought and furnished by my dad at my place as well. Moral of the story: Noble parents are blessed with notorious daughters!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    satchitananda likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Six figure salary is not enough because we increase our needs, many of which are arteficial ones that we really don't need even for making our lives easier and moew comfortable. Wer are slaves of consumerism and hypnotizxed by TV hype over a whole lot of unnecessary goods. So instead of travelling light through life, we carry a heavy baggage. to which we are enchained even to jettison it. Even guys with six figure income get cught in debt traps paying RMIs for luxury, flats, bigger cars and what not.i

6. satchitananda

Hey Iravati,

so delighted to see you here. My dad used to take care of my account. He'd not let me withdraw any money from my account. "We can still afford to look after you. When we are not, then look after us" was the usual statement. He'd tell me my income could not be calculated in rupees but in the number of dresses I bought! :) He invested my money in PPF and in shares in one or two solid companies.

Have been quite relaxed about my expenses all these years. As the age of retirement approaches, one needs to start thinking about being a bit more conservative with expenses. :)

7. satchitananda

I totally agree Balajee. But I also feel people thirst for new experiences and go through a phase of chasing material cravings. It is fine, so long as they outgrow it at some stage. What is off-putting is when people never seem to be get enough and no matter how much stuff they buy, no matter how much they earn, the craving for more never ends.

shyamala1234 and ashima10 like this.
  8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear satchi,

That was a wonderful write up. Thrift was one quality infused in to our blood right from our childhood days. Nobody in the house fussed about we walking miles to reach out school, those days. Pencils and erasers were cut into fours, and I never remember having used a full pencil. Leaky pens, with broken nibs was the norm of our school life, with uniforms stained with ink marks. Though I never had the opportunity to earn my living, till now I have practiced thrift, which has stood me in good stead, even during the most difficult financial times!

Agatha83

9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

True. My parents often reprimand me that I am not thoughtful and concerned and organised in life. One of these days I am thinking to take stock of my life and tighten my unhinged bearing and outgrow my whims and languor. They don’t believe that I have no meaningfulful upfront plans but only self-assured and infallible backup and fallback and disaster-recovery tricks in life with which I thrive. Hope it’s not too late to change ingrained habits and straighten up. Need to plan life carefully but not getting time around to think and plan my life. Silly amusement and goofy laughs vastly distract me.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  10. satchitananda

Very true Agatha. And none of us or our older generations were any worse for it.