Valentine's Day Contest - Let's Paint the Town Red!

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

Alright, I didn't take as many pictures but we had a three day weekend here and spread out the celebration over it.

On Thursday, I made a small bouquet for my husband and brought him chocolates.

On Friday, I gifted my husband a terry robe, lounging shorts and swimming shorts the night of the 13th with the note "You'll be needing these this weekend starting at 7am tomorrow." which was enough to set some suspense and make sure he would get up early to get ready :) He too surprised me with a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a balloon. I prepared dinner that night which included a special dish from his state (gatte ke sabji), Rajasthan, that I learned from his culinarily-gifted neighbors last winter when we visited india.

On Valentine's day, he got up early and made breakfast (wok stir-fried rice) and morning tea. I prepared an epic veggie burger and packed these for where we were headed next. We had a pretty warm weekend here, so we drove to a nearby beach, took an intro to surfing lesson, and had a pretty relaxing time in the sun. We drove home and quickly freshened up because we were going to meet my parents for evening plans (I also called my parents up to make sure they were ready). After the beach, we were a little hungry and I prepared gujarati kadhi for the first time for our late-lunch (neither of us is gujarati but we both love gujarati food, too) which was quick to make and came out nice.

For Valentine's Day evening, I took my DH and parents to a public pillow fight in San Francisco. My DH and I went to this last year, but it was the first time for my parents and they became like little kids again!

Videos from the event (past years and this year)here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNXvPqdFhFI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A41gEbxAUzU

DH was sweet enough to drive and we finished the evening with dinner at an Indian restaurant.

Then on Sunday morning, I prepared breakfast (his favorite pav bhaji) and morning tea and after taking care of some errands, I surprised him with a 90 minute couples' massage at a nearby clinical spa followed by sauna, jacuzzi and shower.

Today we're just taking it easy because we're fasting for shivratri but I have made and stored some cookie dough in the freezer to bake after we break our fast. I'm considering going hiking with him today. I was going to bake a cake on valentine's day but ran out of time :) So it will be happening tomorrow instead!

5 people like this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@il_admin - I think there are lots of V Day threads running in parallel. I saw one in the married life section where people have posted stuff. Can these two threads be merged? Those entries should be considered for the contest, some nice stuff there!

@induslady - I loved the fruit idea. I should have visited Pinterest!

@hasteraho - I loved the pillow fights videos. Thanks for posting. I've never seen one before. Looks like so much fun. I need to look for one in my neck of the woods.

@iyerviji Aunty - I love your love story. No matter how many times you post about yourself and uncle, each of those instances are beautiful. You both truly are the poster couple for ageless love!

As for me, I think I posted this elsewhere. We celebrated differently this time around. We had our usual date night twice last week. We went to two new restaurants. I loves both places. I promised DH that I'd eat and drink everything he chose for me. I'm a control freak so this is a first. I don't usually eat so much but both of us indulged.

Then on V-Day, I had this brainwave of cooking for my children myself instead of taking them out. I cooked a lot of stuff on Saturday. Everything that both my little valentines enjoy to eat. Which means - chicken, chicken, fish, fish and more chicken and fish! Lazy me then ate thayir saadam since I was too tired to cook again for myself. The highlight of the day was when my little guy clapped with glee saying "chicken, Mimi" and after a pause "No broccoli, yay!"

I had a scheduled run with a friend and decided to stop by Starbucks while running errands to fuel up. Two frapuccinos and a panini later, I realized I was too full to run! I called and had her meet me later. That was a very nice decision. We had a very nice sun down run, it was beautiful to see the city go from light to dusk to dark. I need to get out late evening more often, I love the changing lights. Afterwards, we decided to head to our regular Italian place for dinner. We both had forgotten it was V Day by then!

I'm glad nobody took any notice of two women, drenched in sweat from head to toe(75 outside), in dirty running shorts and tanks walking inside. The people working there know us well by now. The manager came up to wish us and that's when we realize that we were in the middle of a crowded restaurant full of very well dressed folks out on their V Day date! I almost melted in shame but he was his jovial self as usual. I'm glad I did go with my friend though. For the past year, she has been a constant sounding board and she would have had to spend the day alone. Instead, both of us had fun.

ooh and since I did stay out all evening on Sat, I made some Biriyani for the family(courtesy @gauri03) on Sunday. I also discovered my DS has a passion for baking. He helped me measure and stir and pour and watched the oven as we baked some chocolate lava cake, courtesy Manali(@sunNaa). He even ate every bite of it, I'm going to post pics soon. It came out delicious! All of is loved the dessert and my dd thinks I nailed it. Thanks, Manali!!

8 people like this.
  3. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Dear Induslady,

I think your creativity ( though u got the idea from somewhere) is really superb.....
    Very nice.

Though my DH does not believe in gifting and all... I cant leave him like that :confused2:
    1. There is a Friday magazine in which I send an article to wish him a happy valentine's day. I cant paste that here since our names are there. The message goes as follows :
    U have accepted me the way I am
    U have understood me more than myself
    U have made be complete with ur presence
    U mean a lot more than the words formed out of any of the 26 letters
    U mean a lot more than any of the colors formed by the rainbow
    Thanks for being a wonderful hubby..........

Here is the dish which I prepared for him. He loves pakados....... So I made bread rolls, chickpeas cutlet, chana sabji and Pooriiiiiiii... My DD also loves pori... I ate only two....( dieting :hide:)

9 people like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

@induslady Its a superb fruit bowl, excellent idea and you say its simple. I know children would have enjoyed

1 person likes this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

We had a very enjoyable Valentine's day. Since I am in Dubai with my daughter, went out with her, son in law and grand daughter. Morning went to temple first and then for shopping. Evening also went for shopping. Daughter and son in law bought me sarees, gift for my husband. Did lot of shopping courtesy daughter and son in law. Prepared lunch for them, wanted to tak ephoto but forgot.

3 people like this.
  6. DharsanaRaghu

DharsanaRaghu New IL'ite

This is my 3rd valentines day with him. For the first I made a Video CD with songs running in background narrating his life from childhood to getting married. He was happy for that but didn't show much. For the second one I made a greeting with a drawing of a lovable couple. I felt so bad that he didn't take me out on that day. Even he started feeling bad for that. This V-Day I didn't give him any surprise. But he took me to CCD and made me soo happy. He also posted our CCD pic in his FB wall. Let me see what is waiting for next year.

2 people like this.
  7. gajalakshminand

gajalakshminand New IL'ite

hi ,

in this valentine day morning me and my husband wore red colour clothes because of my daughter otherwise my husband never believe in these. he is very romantic but he never show to anyone. it is between with us only. and that day morning he gave one red rose with love which expresses his love and emotions for whole life. I am fully filled with happiness and it makes my valentines day memorable.

2 people like this.
  8. sushi

sushi Silver IL'ite

9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09,

Read your write-up about your Vday specials. You seem to have rocked this Vday, both for yourself, friend and family. Way to go !!

Thanks for the pointer on other Valentine threads running in parallel. Sure would look into them to include here.

Dear ILites,

Thank you for bringing in your experiences on Vday. They all are special and lovely in their own way.

2 people like this.
  10. DreamWorld

DreamWorld Silver IL'ite

On this valentine's day, I gave my husband a greeting card and some choclates (most of which I atelaugh1smiley) And no gifts or surprises for mefaintingsmiley But i know him since long, he is not of that type. Accepted this fact!

But one happy thing for me as treating me special, he did all works at home this valentine's weekend. Cooking, decorating a little bit and spending quality time with me, which is enough for this happy soul:banana

5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.