Valaikappu & Seemantham

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya,
    Congrats!!
    Seemantham is relgious & valaikappu is only a social function.
    So, PERSONALLY, I think valaikappu can be done later more as a get-together function.
    All the best.
    Love,
    C.

2. saranyasai

saranyasai New IL'ite

3. jeyatharani

jeyatharani New IL'ite

Hi,
    We as a group of friends did the valaikappu for our friend. This is the 1st time we celebrated it according to you article. We did give வறுபயறு. "வந்தவர்களுக்கு வெற்றிலை பாக்குடன் சிறிது வறுபயறு கொடுப்பது வழக்கம்.".
    Some one asked me what is the significance of giving வறுபயறு. we didn't have the answer since we don't know. If you can, can you please let me know.
    Thanks
    Tharani

4. bril

bril Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra Ma,

I am really happy to read this post of yours. Its very well written and am sure that it will be a jewel that will be useful to all the youngsters. I have not replied to many of your posts in the reciepes section due to lack of time. I have tried out some of them and they have tasted great. I must admit each one of them is beautifully written and surely of great help to all ILites :)

I got so emotional after reading this post of yours today morning. I am going to have my V and S functions in march, both separately. V at mom's place and S at inlaw's place. I am eagerly looking forward to both of them.
    I pray that the new life inside me is growing happily in a healthy way and that I can be a good mother.
    I have a small issue. I have hard bones in both my hands which makes it tough for glass bangles of normal size to slide in, though my hands as such are small. With gold bangles that i wear everyday, this problem doesn't arise because i can squeeze my hand by applying pressure and push them in. With glass ones i cant do that as they can break. So my mom suggests that i take bigger size bangles for V which can easily slide in, however they are very loose near the wrist. I dont want bangles to break so i will go for this decision, but will so many loose bangles stay for a long time? I dont want all of them to break and want my little one to listen to the beautiful sounds they make. Can you think of any solution for this?

And Chitra ma,I have heard that more the number of priests for chanting the udagasanthi mantrams , more the blessings for the baby. Is this true? How many priests should generally chant?

I am really thankful for the way your post made me feel today.And my Little one also kicked for about 5-6 times when i was reading ur post :) I got overwhelmed with reading about all the rituals.Thanks again and pray that God gives you a lot of strength to come up with many such wonderful posts. Please bless our family ma.

And ,You look beautiful in the pics and I am sure that inner beauty is glowing even now :) Thanks for sharing them. Take care.

5. Chitvish

Dear jeyatharani,
    sorry for the late reply - I was off line for 2 weeks.
    I really do not know the exact reason - it can ony be varupayaru is full pof lentils & hence provides nutrition & protein!!:)
    Love,
    C

6. Chitvish

Dear bril,
    Such a nice, loving post!!
    First, my congratulaions to you. Rarely do girls go through the 2 functions, independently. You are blessed.
    Big bangles are not advisable. Do either of these:
    Wrap a this plastic sheet around your hand so that the bangles will slide in easily.
    OR
    Apply vaseline on both hands to make the bangle sliding easy.
    Try which works smooth for you - nothing wrong in trying before the function.
    Yes, the bangles sound will make both mother & baby happy!!
    This is new about udhagashanti. Just go by what the family vadhyar says. I have heard that Madhva Pundits are very good in Bangalore.
    I am sure your baby is blessed to be born to you! All the best.
    Love,
    C

7. Priyaashi

Priyaashi New IL'ite

hi ladies....anyone from new jersey celebrating valaikaapu function near soon? i just had my valaikapu and i have those artificial garlands and poojadai at home. they are beautiful and will look just perfect for the function. that was a highlight in my function. everybody though those were real flowers:). i would like to do something useful with it....pls let me know

8. Puppy1

Puppy1 New IL'ite

Dear Chitrama,

Enaku Seemantham seiya mudivu paniruka. indha timela unga post enaku romba usefulla irundhudhu. unga photosum, unga daughter photosum romba super ah iruku. Naa romba excited ah irukane enakum ipadila nadakapogudhunu.

Ana seemandham panaracha photos edukalama?

Enaku therinjava naraya paer photos edukakoodadhunu sollara.

With Love,
    Lakshmi Chandrasekar.

9. Chitvish

Dear Lakshmi,
    Congratulations & all the best!!
    I have never heard that photos should not be taken!! Now a days,even videos are taken. So, if your familyhas no objection, go ahead!
    Love,
    C

10. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

Dear CV amma,

I read your posts in IL and needless to say,Iam speechless at your dedication:bowdown

Could please point me where you have posted any special foods/slokas/precautions to be taken for pregnant woman?

Iam kind of helpless in getting the above info from others in my family.

Thanks a million in advance:bowdown:bowdown