Valaikappu & Seemantham

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 27, 2007.

1. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hello Madam

jus now read about ur VALAIKAPPU AND SEEMANDAM

and immidiately i feel like i want to share mine, since i will NEVEREVER (i CANT) FORGET THAT DAY IN MY LIFETIME , and even all my friends,relatives ,neighbours and all the people in my locality

Everything went well till they SHOWER ME , i got shivering and felt like something is broken inside and while changing clothes i cried myself and i told my close relative that SOMETHING IS WRONG AND CANT JUDGE CLEARLY , she jus consoled me and said nothing will happen, dont worry and continue with other things, and onceagain in went to MANAI , but i cant able to sit and heard from elders that my PANIKUDAM starts leaking ( i dont knw anything about all those matter at that time) i jus cried and they admitted me in hospital(she is my doctor, but she refuse to ADMIT ME since she feels that my condition and babys condition is very bad and she dont have facilities) My due date falls only around April last week

We rushed to RAMACHANDRA HOSPITAL(PORUR), atlast they admitted me, and (Feb20th 1990) tried to postpone delivery for few days by connecting me with lot of cables (mmontiors checking my pulse rate,fetel monitor and scanning me very frequently to check the water level etc)

Atlast the fourthday, entire water drained and they feel that they shld do EMERGENCY SURGERY FOR ME and refused to give any GUARANTEE for the kid,but with GOD'S GRACE and LIVING GOD, MY OBSTETRICIAN and MRS.LALITHA KRISHANAN (neonatal cheif) i delivered boy baby and main problem starts only from that time, since his brith weight was jus 1.2kgs(he is preterm by 65 days and also PREMATURE BABY )

He is too small,handy and very very weak,not suppoosed to have mothers milk , he didnt cry,got WHOLE IN THE HEART, ONLY ONE LAYER IN THE EYEc etc Oh my GOD :cry: we all suffered like anything and he was in INCUBATOR for nearly 45 days untill he gains 2kgs (next day of birth he lost 250gms due to jaundice and ARAIVATHU)

Iam stopping with this , i cant continue .

Sorry for boring u, i feel like sharing with u people, since if anybody start talking about this function, i cannot control myself

latamurali

2. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra Madam,
    After going through all your threads and posts...wow...what a kind of lady you are..how to describe you...an encyclopedia, knowledge centre and what not...you are really a wonderful lady.

Please enlighten us about the engagement function formalities also.

Thanks in advance.

Lakshmi.

3. ctindia

ctindia New IL'ite

I agree that it was beautiful description in Thamizh. Though I could not see the photos (it says insufficient privileges!!!). I am 17 weeks pregnant (5 months - I dont know exactly) and am so eager to have valaikappu and seemantham done. I am not usually someone thrilled or excited about ceremonies or rituals. I think it is different this time somehow. Thanks so much Mrs. Chitra

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi,
    I do not deserve so much of praise - any Mylapore Mami will elaborate the same way, Lakshmi!!
    Engagement is purely a social function of modern days unlike valaikappu& seemantham! So, it is just left to our convenience & custom as per individual family.
    Thanks for the nice words.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

Dear ctindia,
    I feel, your present stage of pregnancy is responsible for your enjoying this post, though normally, you are not inclined to!!
    That is the speciality of pregnancy.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hello Chithra ma'm

Shall we perform Valaikappu in the evening, may after 6pm ? bcoz if we do in the morning we cannot expect ppl to come & attend the function....Pl let me know....

7. Chitvish

Dear Subha,
    Valaikappu is purely a social function - so you can have it in the evening.
    All the best & take care.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. rajsraman

rajsraman New IL'ite

Dear All,

This is Raj from Bangalore. I would like to know the translation for Valaikappu in English. Could someone please advice ? We have to arrange a Valaikappu fuction at our home and we would like to invite our friends and colleagues, but we need to tell about the function, I don't know how to explain Valaikappu in english. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Raj.

9. rajsraman

rajsraman New IL'ite

By the way, are men allowed in this group? If not, I'm sorry. Once i get an answer for this , I can unsubscribe from the forum.. If someone could answer my question to rajsraman (at) gmail.com , that would be of great help too.. But, I think, this site is great with lot of useful info. I'll advice my wife to join this group.

10. Chitvish

Hello Raj,
    Valaikappu is BANGLE CEREMONY.
    Please read the english version of it, to be explained to your friends.
    Regards,
    Chithra.